Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Liners/splash sheilds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr914
Does anyone know of an adhesive for plastic door liners/splash sheilds that is reusable 2 or 3 times?

I've been into my door panel 3 or 4 times to fix my early window regulator.

one of these days, I'm going to have to make a replacement nylon button....

I'm tired of having to make a new plastic liner (too stickey) or put more glue on when I'm putting the liner back on my door.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mr914 @ Oct 27 2003, 10:11 AM)
Does anyone know of an adhesive for plastic door liners/splash sheilds that is reusable 2 or 3 times?

pics please.
i just did my doors and i'm lost as to where you would need adhesive?
confused24.gif

Andy
HarveyH
Not sure how many times it can be re-stuck, but I've used the double-sided Scotch tape. 1/2" wide, about 100' on a roll for a couple of bucks at Staples or your favorite stationery supply store.

Harvey
SirAndy
aha, now i know what you're talking about wink.gif
the original stuff is some sort of gray clay-like stuff that can be reused numerous times. i forget what it is called, but it is also used on vw-bug doors ...
any good vw shop should have it in stock.

Andy
mr914
I'm talking about the plastic liner that originally was attached to your door frame, behind the door panel.

It's only a sheet of plastic with a few holes for the window crank/door latch.

The purpose is to keep water off of the back side of the door panel.

I tried the double stick adhesive. Ended up using a scraper a year later to get the stuff off.

I'll checked with the local headbang.gif VW shop. They said to use 3M trim adheasive (the yellow stuff) - idots....
JWest
How about "poster tack" for hanging stuff on the wall? It's like "dum-dum" for weatherstrip but a lot neater and cleans up nice.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mr914 @ Oct 28 2003, 07:33 AM)
It's only a sheet of plastic with a few holes for the window crank/door latch.

yes. that's what i remember from my VW-bug days.
they used a gray(ish) clay-like sticky material.
it was laid down as a beat (sp?) around the door and then you just press the edges of the plastic sheet against it.
it would stick pretty good and you could just pull it off and do that numerous times.
but i don't recall what the stuff was called.

kinda like the buthyl (sp?) stuff for windows but not quite that sticky.

am i making sense here?
Andy
Slowpoke
It's called strip caulk. Get it at NAPA part #4424. It comes in a nice roll. I have had some on a shelf for 15 years. Works great when I need it to this day.
Peter wink.gif
RustyWa
I bought some of that 3M Strip-Caulk from an autobody supply store. It's a good sealer and comes in manageable 1ft strips. I didn't think of using this for my door panels....I ended up using rubber cement, since that is what the original stuff on my car looked to be. I hope the rubber cement stays soft and pliable.....
Slowpoke
That's the stuff. But, I get it in a larger roll. I use it to seal tail lights, trim etc. Anything I want to get apart later without destroying either piece. I have never seen it leak after it's been applied correctly and the excess cleans up easily.
Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.