Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with my sandwich plate install!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZ914
Hey all,

Trying to get my oil cooler installed before the RRC otherwise I'm not going.

So I have a MOCAL thermostatic sandwich plate. I can mount this without problem. However, there is NO way that I can attach both oil lines to it at the same time because of clearance issues or angle issues. I can get one on, but then can't get the angle to get the other on, etc.

I have the 75 heating system so its a little different than some of the other installs (Demick's etc.) There is not enough room to put 180's etc either.

What I would like to do is find a 3/4" - 1" spacer that would go between my sandwich plate and the stock filter location. This would lower the sandwich adapter enough that I could get clearance to attach both oil lines.

Does such a thing exist? I've seen bypass units, etc. but not a simple spacer.
HELP!
draperjojo
Your local machine shop could probably do it. The smaller shops are pretty good at fabricating pieces if you supply a drawing.
JPB
Extend one of the fittings with a threaded nipple a coupler and then your fitting or a piece of threaded pipe a coupler and your fitting. All you would be doing is putting your fitting a little further away from the other one so as not to hit each other. Any hardware store or hydraulics store would have the parts. If I'm not mistaking all them are standard pipe threads.

beer.gif Gluck!
Aaron Cox
Hey jason, i have some pics of my install in my blog, and my oil cooler thread.....

my lines point toward the stock oil cooler... er rather leave right under the stock cooler...

i bet its becuz your late HE setup
AZ914
Thanks for the posts.. I cannot really extend my fitting because of the space.

Aaron, yes, I think it is because of the late HE's. I've seen setups in Demick's posts and yours as well. If I go that direction, I can't quite get one of the connectors seated due to the angle. My late HE's have a pipe sticking up in the way, I only have about 2 inches to weed my lines thru. I tried pointing the fittings toward the front of the car and wrap the lines around the side but end up with the same type of problem.

If I can drop the sandwich plate down about 3/4", I could run the lines straight back over the engine tin. Its suprising how different the late HE setup looks under there....

I guess another option would be to go with a remote filter but I'd prefer not to.

Any ideas guys, keep 'em coming!
Krieger
I'm not sure if I entirely folow all your details, but I have a 75 with early exhaust and my oil fitting on the mocal are straight and point toward the passenger side of the car. One consideraion with a spacer, your filter will be lower than your engine crossbar giving it a lot less protection. If you can't get it done just do the remote filter on the firewall and be done with it. It would probably be less than fabing a spacer and you can get a very large oil filter on it.
Aaron Cox
take off that heater pipe for now.... get r done.

engine is more important than heat....

AZ914
Ok, well I'm giving up on the sandwich plate idea. Just not working out with my exhaust setup.

I've decided to go with a remote filter w/thermostat inline fan switch. (similar to the Pelican Oil Cooler install tech article.)

I should have plenty of room to run my lines using the spin-on adapter, etc. Parts should be here Thursday, hopefully installed on Friday.. One week before the RRC.. gotta love it.
Joe Bob
BTW...ANOTHER reason why you shouldn't use FRAM filters....with the sandwhich plate they are just a tiny bit to tall/big to fit and fit between the plate and the engine mounts on side shifter cars....
AZ914
Z.. Yeah, I saw in that tech aritcle that he was running a Fram, though in the new location. I had a Mahle but bought a Bosch for the install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.