Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SouthEast Classic 2006
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
D1A3
Hi Everyone,

We completed Day 2 of the SEC 2006 and have lots of stories to share... at least I'm sure all participants will be chiming in. Friday, we had a productive meet at Andretti Speed lab and drove to Helen. Jason (me) created a big stink for everyone by trying to out do Lewis in the Andretti parking lot spinning donuts... Needless to say, I broke both (rubber) engine mounts and we ALL had to limp along to Lewis's house to drop my car off. Fortunatley, I was allowed to drive Grady's 3.0 conversion up to Helen, GA (but now I need a six-fix).

Even more fortunately, and I owe an incredible debt of gratitude to Lewis Broyles and Al Meredith, Lewis was able to get my mounts replaced and trailerd my car up to Helen so I could drive it Saturday... Again you cannot create people with the kindness and selfless attitude like Lewis showed Friday. Our board really does have some the BEST people one coudl wish to know! smilie_pokal.gif

Saturday started off pretty early with an 8:00 AM departure for Air-Cooled Heaven, a compund tour by Jake himself and wonderful hosipailty pastires too!). Following the shop tour, 8 cars continued North to The Tail of the Dragon. the tail is 11 miles and 318 curves, 319 if you do one while spinning 360' at 70 mph. driving.gif After surviving The Dragon, the group continued backsouth through Tennessee and met up with old and new friends in Helen.

Dinner was served at the Hofbrauhaus and we learned that some people cannot eat schnitzel, but tube steak.... I mean Brats, are OK. chowtime.gif

Following Dinner we had a "Reception" back at the Hotel with drawings for all of the great donations from our sponsors. Everyone invovled was able to receive something and take more than just the memory of an epic drive home with them.

Special thanks to Rich and Barry Sr. for the beer in the "after hours" section of the Hotel Parkinglot! drunk.gif

Tomorrow is Sunday and we will pull out after breakfast to head our seperate ways, only to be rejoined here on the board. I'd like to thank all of our sponsors, Barry Fuller (Grasshopper) for chairing the event (he even got to drive a few miles!), and all those on the boad for your continued support. Pictures to follow soon...

--Jason
SirAndy
schweet! smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
awesome!!!!
Dr Evil
Right on!
Engman
Wow -quite a tour!! smilie_pokal.gif

Any more pics?

M

Howard
Nice party, Guys. It's not the quantity, it's the quality.
Brett W
Damn sounds like I am missing a good time. Guess I will have to build a car for next year.
So.Cal.914
Well all the adjectives are taken so I would just like to say "Nice Job" Barry/Grass-

Hopper. Looks like you all had a good time, thats what it is all about. smile.gif

P.S. When I come out that way will one of you point me towards this "Dragons Tail".
Al Meredith
Let me be the second one to report on the Southeast Clasic. THANK YOU Barry (grasshopper) and Barry SR, for the planning and execution of this weekend event. Jason Sabatino for the Maps and Commemorative Booklet.
Couldn't have done it without Lewis Broyles and many others. We drove about 10 914's VERY hard for 3 or 4 hours and had no problems. Once they get off the jack stands they are strong! Don't miss this event next time. Once again "well done"
904svo
agree.gif

Right on Al, and thank you for letting me borrow an engine so I could make
it on Friday.
Jeroen
we need more pix!!!
rwjames
What an awesome weekend. A big thanks to Barry, Barry Sr., and Jason for putting together a great event in a short amount of time. I hope we can get together again next year. Also, thanks to all of our sponsers, especially Jake Raby and Hennessy Porsche for their hospitaliity.

We enjoyed meeting everyone and got to drive some curvy roads made especially for the 914. It's always fun to check out other 914's to see how everyone tweeks their car to make it their own. I hope everyone made it home in one piece.

Thanks again,
Rich
black73
I would also like to thank Barry, Barry, Jason and the all the GA guys for showing us all a good time.

Will try to post some pics later.
SGB
We're back too! We had a blast. Somany events all in one. We got to the meeting at Andretti's just as my mysterious miss returned sad.gif but I enjoyed one of the soft drinks brought by the Fullers and looked at the cool teeners...
I changed a plug and cleaned two carb jets in the Hennessy Porsche parking lot rolleyes.gif
We went back to Andretti's where Jason demonstrated partial motor mount dissassembly. Lewis is a prince! And he has Goats!
Saturday we left Helen with Jason's repaired car. Jakes place is amazing. After a great tour and more goodies -this time from Jake- we headed for the Tail of the Dragon. We had a great Box lunch by the creek at a rest stop. Thanks for that too.
The TOD was a roller coaster. Wow. It is sort of an aknowledged thrill ride with a LOT of motorcycles and web-sites posting pics for sale taken at strategic locations. The starting point at deals gap had a memorial of broken and destoyed motorcycle pieces- some marked "rest in peace" even. ~shiver~
After the TOD we journeyed back to Helen for a great German dinner (and more paking lot carb repair)
In the hotel parking lot after dinner we drew for loot.
There were door prizes for EVERYONE. I got great Engman pedal covers, my son got a 962 model from camp914. There were lotsa goodies! And FREE BEER!!:)
SO once again thanks. And to Jason also for leading around the traffic jam! I have a zillion pics.
SGB
beer.gif
SGB
biggrin.gif
SGB
smile.gif
SGB
biggrin.gif
SGB
smile.gif
SGB
piratenanner.gif
Air-cooled heaven!Click to view attachment
SGB
clap56.gif
SGB
smile.gif
dyno at Jakes
SGB
smile.gif
SGB
smile.gif
SGB
smile.gif
SGB
smile.gif
SGB
last...
SGB
smile.gif laster
SGB
handin out the loot!
black73
Here's a link to more pics
link
Doug Leggins
"Back home again in Indiana". WOW! what a great party. I had a blast!

Thanks once again to the event organizers. And thank you to the event sponsors!It was a job well done! beerchug.gif

It was a pleasure to meet all of the 914 club friends at the event! Great people! Great conversations! Great experience!

Also special to me was the successful completion of a long road trip. My car performed great! 630 miles day 1 driving to the Andretti place and then to Helen, GA. 300 miles day 2 including some really demanding driving at the Tail of the Dragon biggrin.gif . And, 578 miles day 3 to get back home. 1508 miles total this weekend. Smiles, smiles and more smiles, all of the hard work and care paid off!!!

SirAndy
QUOTE(D1A3 @ Sep 10 2006, 06:24 PM) *

the wall of shame ...

did you guys get to touch it?
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
D1A3
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 10 2006, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(D1A3 @ Sep 10 2006, 06:24 PM) *

the wall of shame ...

did you guys get to touch it?
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Don't knwo if you woudl want to touch any of that, pretty gnarled up and greasy stuff. Pretty incredible though some of the stuff he has up there.

More importantly, Jake showed us some new stuff he was working on that is not out yet. Pretty cool stuff. He is @%$#^ %$#@@* heads and then he &%%# &^^%$%# them. Of course he made us swear to secrecy and not to take pictures. drooley.gif

--Jason
D1A3
And no, none of my broken parts (or entire car for that matter after the spinout on the Dragon) made it to this one...

Click to view attachment

URY914
Barry, congrads on a great event. I'll be up next year with my street car biggrin.gif
bd1308
I'll be a definate on next year.

b
Jake Raby
See.... I told you that I'm really not an asshole!! :-)

It was great to meet you guys and have you here for a tour of the compound. There were some really neat teeners here and I can only hope the event grows for next year.

Once again, it was very nice to meet you all and show you where I make it all happen, no one ever expects to find my shop where it is. When people stumble upon the place they wonder why the hell I am here....
tommy914
Great Event!!

Thanks to Barry, Barry and Jason for their hard work putting this together.

A big thanks to Jake for taking time to show us around his place and sharing some knowledge.

see ya next year.

Tommy
Jake Raby
Your welcome!
Nice having you guys up!
Lou W
Thanks for sharing the pictures, looks like lots of fun. beerchug.gif
Two914s
I dont know if you realized this.....but there were several professional photographers taking pictures of our cars coming down the "Tail of the Dragon" at speed. They aren't posted quite yet (it is Monday) but by about Wednesday our pictures will be on the web and available for purchase in high resolution.

Here are the web sites of the various photographers that were taking pictures that day. Just search for pictures from Saturday, September 9th on these sites.

www.killboy.com

www.zeefoto.com

www.dragonslayerphotos.com

www.moonshinephoto.com

Here is the web site for the "Tail of the Dragon"

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

We are compiling a CD full of high resolution pictures that Alexis Godshaulk, professional photographer, took from the sunroof of my 1985 911 Carrera along the way. I will let you know when that is available. I think he got some great shots!

Remember our troops on Sept 11!!

flag.gif
D1A3
Just found the following links for photos taken while we were on "The Dragon":

http://www.killboy.com/

http://www.dragonslayerphotos.com/

http://www.moonshinephoto.com/dealsgap.html

I have not seen any of them posting pics yet from this weekend, so maybe in the next day or so... Maybe one of them has a pic of me spinning out!

--Jason
sharper
Sorry I missed a good time. I had hoped to at least make it over to Andretti's to see everyone off but due to the Holiday my travel scheduled didn't get me back home in time. Next year I'll have to take the time off.
black73
Are you talking about these guys? confused24.gif

They're not professionals! poke.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(black73 @ Sep 10 2006, 05:25 PM) *

Here's a link to more pics

Very nice Gary. smilie_flagge24.gif
Can you please post the group ass shot at the lake. (about #30 in the slide show)
JFJ914
Wow, that was fun. Thank you Grasshopper for a great job organizing this event in such a short time. You should be very proud of the job you did. Jason, great roads, sorry we didn't see the "Spin" . Let's do this again. beerchug.gif
tommy914
a few of my pics.

grasshopper, two914s, and Barry senior
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.