Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ice, Ice baby...dry ice for removal of....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
.........it works...sorta smile.gif

Thought I'd give it a try, bought 30lbs of dry ice (10lbs of it evaporated to about 3lbs since my wife bought it the night before)

it does work, but it's kind of hit and miss depending on the section of the floor, the good part is it would be a great thing to do in the middle of summer since it does keep you cool smile.gif

bad part is that I leaned my arm against the floor (no dry ice right on that spot) and now I have a nice little patch of frost bite... headbang.gif )

In the picture is Mike Rose, he wanted to see in person if this method works and helped in the process as well....thanks Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 27 2003, 11:06 AM)
.........it works...sorta smile.gif

reminds me of driving in the winter-time in germany.
if you ran off the road and had your window open, that's exactly how your car looked like inside. laugh.gif

Andy
thesey914
I work for a Printing firm -Liquid nitrogen is used in the printing industry for removing the hard dried on ink deposits found on the printing press side frames and pretty much everywhere else on the equipment. Mike I have to salute your ingenuity, I'm well annoyed I didn't think of this when I removed the tar on my car cool.gif
914werke
Good Pic laugh.gif
So what was the condition of the Tar afer the "HIT" Once all was evaporated did it just cumble off.
JWest
Umm dry ice ?? Who comes up with this stuff ??

Buy a 12.00$ heat gun from harbor freight and a nice 4 inch wide puddy knife.

Turn heat on a area and start scraping.

40 some odd pounds of sound deadening in the floors of a 914.

B

Posted by Brad a year ago... blink.gif

Guess that shows how much Mike thinks of Brad's advice? unsure.gif lol2.gif
Mueller
Gues that shows how much Mike thinks of Brad's advice?  

I heard the same thing on Sunday when I talked to him on the phone smile.gif

I did have to use the heat gun when I ran out of dry ice.........guess what??? It works ohmy.gif
DNHunt
So does a regular old propane torch. Not a fun time but the stuff is gone. I didn't mind it as much as the seam sealer. I finally resorted to wood chisels for that stuff.

Dave
Jenny
Yup, heat gun worked great. I actually enjoyed doing it. Need to remember not to touch the tip of the heat gun to my skin though... unsure.gif

Buy me lunch and I'll do it for you. I fit in those cars better than you anyway. wink.gif

Jen
nine14cats
does the 40lbs of sound deadener on the floors include the carpets and undercarpets? Or is it just that icky junk that looks like tar?

I'm curious....

Bill
SirAndy
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 27 2003, 04:24 PM)
does the 40lbs of sound deadener on the floors include the carpets and undercarpets? Or is it just that icky junk that looks like tar?

I'm curious....

just the tar ....
dryheat914
QUOTE(Jenny @ Oct 27 2003, 03:12 PM)

Buy me lunch and I'll do it for you. I fit in those cars better than you anyway. wink.gif

Jen

Damn Jen,
I wish I would of known before I used the heat gun on mine, Not a hard job but if lunch was all it took for you to do it......well, You would of have a pretty good lunch
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Jenny @ Oct 27 2003, 04:12 PM)
Buy me lunch and I'll do it for you.
Jen

you make house calls? laugh.gif
Jenny
Did I forget to mention that you'd pay for my gas and any toll I may have encounter? Learning more from Brad every day!! wink.gif

Jen
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jenny @ Oct 27 2003, 09:09 PM)
Did I forget to mention that you'd pay for my gas and any toll I may have encounter? Learning more from Brad every day!! wink.gif

i'll keep you in mind when my next project is ready for the tar-removal! cool.gif

Andy
Mueller
Buy me lunch and I'll do it for you. I fit in those cars better than you anyway.

Well, the drivers side floor needs to be finished, but I'll wait and have you help AFTER the cage is in....it'll have much more entertainment value watching you do you thing inside the cage ph34r.gif pray.gif
Brad Roberts
Propane is not the way to do it. It can quickly catch shit on fire and melt wires hidden in the seat braces running across the floor.

I swear people... heat gun. Jenny can do it in about an hour (complete floorboards and center tunnel).

It peels right up with little effort... and you wont get frost bite... (what a dumass)

B
sj914
Yup the heat gun does work wonders on the floor boards and the seam sealer. Just don't use it as a hair drier
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.