Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter doesn't turnover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I have my engine back together and in the car, after a rebuild. Went to turn the key to build up oil pressure for the first time and was met with a lackluster nothingness. I've triple checked all the connections, everything else electical is working. I've added a jump start in case the battery had drained while sitting, still nothing. I checked the smaller yellow starter cable, which should be hot when the key is turned to start and it's cold. The large red cable from the battery to the start is hot. The ground straps is clean and secure. I've apparently overlooked something.

If you can think of any slightest possible thing to look for, let me have it. The suspense is killing me.
URY914
Engine ground strap too???
So.Cal.914
Have you tried to jump the starter with a screwdriver? if so what happened?
blitZ
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 10 2006, 02:41 PM) *

Dont' recall seeing an engine ground strap.

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 10 2006, 02:45 PM) *

I tried the solenoid jump and it turns over. The only thing I can think of is the ignition switch decided to go bad. It was working fine before I dropped the engine.
rcrgrl
ignition switch was my first thought - that's what happened when mine went bad - you can test it by pulling the plug from the back of the ignition switch and jumping the wires. (um that'd be hotwiring)...its been a long time, but my recollection is that you can get to that plug relatively easily - if you can jump it, then its probably the switch, if not its some other wiring.
also, did you check all the fuses? and isn't there a ground from the starter?
Dr. Roger
i don't think it's fused. =-) it's one fo the few that aren't and is how my electrical fire started.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 10 2006, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 10 2006, 02:41 PM) *

Dont' recall seeing an engine ground strap.

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 10 2006, 02:45 PM) *

I tried the solenoid jump and it turns over. The only thing I can think of is the ignition switch decided to go bad. It was working fine before I dropped the engine.

The strap URY914 is talking about is at the tail of the trans. It is odd that your

switch would pick this time to go bad, usually it desides to go bad when you

are far from home or in a hurry. Check the wire connector at the solonoid that

comes from the switch, there may be power in the wire but can't get thur the

connector.
URY914
It's the engine/tranny ground strap. Check it and hook it up.

blitZ
I traced the yellow wire back to the relay box, shoved the connector off and on a couple of times and it turns over now. I've got good oil pressure, but still won't start. Doesn't seem to be getting the proper fuel pressure, goes up to 20lbs or so.

I took out an injector and it is not squirting. confused24.gif

The fuel pump is running and there is fuel in the lines.
So.Cal.914
How long was your 914 sitting. Point is if it sits awhile the fuel can gel up and clog

the fuel filter even if you put fresh on top of that. Something cheap to fix.
blitZ
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 10 2006, 06:14 PM) *

How long was your 914 sitting. Point is if it sits awhile the fuel can gel up and clog

the fuel filter even if you put fresh on top of that. Something cheap to fix.

It only sat a couple of months. I found the problem, I didn't plug the FI trigger wire into the dizzy, (duh!).

It starts now but pops like heck so I only run it for a moment. Seems to be lean, I'm trying to get the fuel pressure up.
So.Cal.914
It could also be the timing way out. Static time it first then you can put a light on it later

when it is running better.
blitZ
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 10 2006, 06:39 PM) *

It could also be the timing way out. Static time it first then you can put a light on it later

when it is running better.

hmm, how do I static time it?
So.Cal.914
Put #1 cyl on TDC, mark #1 plug wire location on the body of dizzy (below #1 on

cap) pull cap and aim front of roter at the mark on your dizzy (rotate dist body).

You are now close and if know other problems exist it should run, now put your

light on it. EI or points? If points check gap. Have fun.
blitZ
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 10 2006, 07:10 PM) *

Put #1 cyl on TDC, mark #1 plug wire location on the body of dizzy (below #1 on

cap) pull cap and aim front of roter at the mark on your dizzy (rotate dist body).

You are now close and if know other problems exist it should run, now put your

light on it. EI or points? If points check gap. Have fun.

Thanks, I give it a shot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.