Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: K&N filter.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DerekKim
Hello I have a D-Jet'd 73 1.7 and I was wondering if I could get a K&N filter for it? On Pelican Parts it says their filter is only for the 1.8 and 2.0. Do they make a filter or is the OEM filter ok?
So.Cal.914
I heard that they did not make one for the 1.7 but that was awhile back.
Joe Ricard
Isn't yours an oil bath type?
nothing wrong with oil bath. actually filter dirt better. Why would you suppose your engine runs so well with it's many miles on it.
K&N does not filter as well no matter what the claims are.
DerekKim
oil bath hmm? Interesting. I will leave the stocker in there then. She does run really well. I'm going to get the tires mounted up today. Crazy thing last night that did not occur to me lol. I'll mount the two Eagles, 2 new tires and mount the spare as that brand new spare. Getting rid of all the gross tires lol. Tal to yall a bit later.
Eric_Shea
Is the Cap'n on vacation? He rarely lets a thread like this pass. Keep the oil bath if that's what you have.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 11 2006, 09:12 AM) *

Is the Cap'n on vacation? He rarely lets a thread like this pass. Keep the oil bath if that's what you have.

Vacation? I thought the discussion was going well, so I left it alone.

hijacked.gif

BTW, Eric, thanks for the prompt shipment of the calipers! Hope your weekend excursion went well! The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
Scary. Am I starting to think like the Crusty one or..... he is mellowing.
Could be it is the "I've been there done that" struck me up side the head.
Eric_Shea
No problem...

We had 5 days in Cataract Canyon. No cell phones, No computers. Safe to say it went well. wink.gif

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Tobra
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 11 2006, 07:16 AM) *

Isn't yours an oil bath type?
nothing wrong with oil bath. actually filter dirt better. Why would you suppose your engine runs so well with it's many miles on it.
K&N does not filter as well no matter what the claims are.

Uh, isn't K&N oil on cloth, wrong sort of oil or something?
ayama
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Sep 11 2006, 03:17 AM) *

Hello I have a D-Jet'd 73 1.7 and I was wondering if I could get a K&N filter for it? On Pelican Parts it says their filter is only for the 1.8 and 2.0. Do they make a filter or is the OEM filter ok?

Try this:

http://www.autoatlanta.net/record_detail.l...C24&-Search

type.gif
tommy914
QUOTE(ayama @ Sep 12 2006, 12:52 PM) *

Try this:

type.gif

Better yet.. don't try this!
nebreitling
not much of a gain, i'm afraid. even if you remove the air filter all together, the gain is quite negligible.
DerekKim
Dang 130$?!?! Shoot I could go to my old work place and have them order a filter like that and go to Home depot for about 40$. If there isn't much of a difference then I won't bother. Look a little ricer rigged though no? Doesn't PVC like not hold cold air at all?
ayama
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Sep 12 2006, 01:54 PM) *

Try this:

type.gif

Even Better yet you guys go buy it for him!!! He asked for KN that fit 1.7 what's your solution!?!?!?
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(ayama @ Sep 13 2006, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(tommy914 @ Sep 12 2006, 01:54 PM) *

Try this:

type.gif

Even Better yet you guys go buy it for him!!! He asked for KN that fit 1.7 what's your solution!?!?!?

Our solution was for Derek to leave it the heck alone. Put his money in tires and shocks. Way more bang for the buck. I ran an oil bath on my early 1.7L during autocrosses. once I learned where to put the oil and how much it worked great.
now that I have dual carbs and two K&N's I am constantly cleaning jets. Why? because K&N filters don't filter that well.
This was also the case in my 928 which had a HUGE filter. still let stuff by as evidenced in the ducting down stream of the filter.
DerekKim
Heck yes! just with those two new all season I have yet to squeal like I use to. I guess I never realised just how bad the old ones were. I feel ashamed now for not replacing them sooner. alfred.gif . I'm gonna keep the filter stock. I'll probably work on the other 2 tires and a front sway bar. Should be good for now for AX aye Joe?
Joe Ricard
[ I'm gonna keep the filter stock. I'll probably work on the other 2 tires and a front sway bar. Should be good for now for AX aye Joe?
[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY driving.gif
DerekKim
Alright! I'm super stoked. Not much left to do to get ready for the AX. I may buy some brighter head lights for the night driving there and back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.