Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tall people in 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type4org
Spurred on by a similar question from a guy on the 914 Yahoo list, here's a question for tall people on this list: Do you have any issues with the 914 and if yes, any solutions?

I'm 6' 5.5" and find headroom is no problem at all. My annoyance is mostly with the shifter, I have to push it right into my leg for 1st/reverse.

A poster on the 914 list suggested a Weltmeister short shifter. I was thinking even a used shifter, heated and carefully bent towards the right, could improve that situation. Maybe someone else has come up against this and did something about it?

Gustl
Mittelmotor provides a cool solution

they developed a leather steering wheel with only 360mm diameter and 30mm higher hub - it fits all 914 and 914-6, but it's really expensive (~550 €)

it looks exactly like the original steering wheel and the original horn pad can be used as well as the small GT button

there is even a 360mm steering wheel that's 40mm "deep", but this is a little dfferent, so the original horn pad wouldn't fit - the GT button is fine though

unfortunately this part of their homepage is only available in german - but you can see a couple of pics: here
click the images to enlarge
watch the arms and legs of this guy sitting in the car - depending on the different steering wheel types (always the samy guy in the same car with the same seat adjustment)

wavey.gif Gustl

p.s.: I'm 6'4"
swl
QUOTE(type4org @ Sep 11 2006, 01:54 AM) *

I was thinking even a used shifter, heated and carefully bent towards the right, could improve that situation.

Could you accomplish the same thing just by adjusting the shifter? Of course you would then be pushing it into your passenger leg.
type4org
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 11 2006, 07:04 AM) *

Mittelmotor provides a cool solution

they developed a leather steering wheel with only 360mm diameter and 30mm higher hub - it fits all 914 and 914-6, but it's really expensive (~550 €)

Danke Gustl. wink.gif

That is a really nice wheel and retains the stock look. That'll make getting into and out of the car a lot easier, too.

It is indeed expensive and I really shouldn't do it, but I just ordered the 360mm with the 30 mm extended hub. I'm in Germany right now and I can just put it in my luggage on the way back... happy11.gif
TINCAN914
I have the same problem, (all legs).. I went with a smaller steering wheel to eliminate \shifting into my legs.
What would happen if you just cut down the length of the shifter by an 1" - 1 1/2" ? That might give you a little room to slide by. confused24.gif
Mike T
I am 6' 5" but most of my height is in my torso so head room is the issue for me.

For the street I had a 13" diameter steering wheel which allowed shifter clearance.
A cut down seat pad allowed me to drive the car with the roof panel. However, no way could I fit with a Helmet without seriously slouching

In my AX car I have a Kirky seat mounted flush to the floor and no roof.

Mike T
smdubovsky
I'm 6'2", so Im watching this thread w/ interest. I have to fix the cage thats in the car already (built for short people and doesnt allow the seat to go all the way back). I plan on mounting a set of sparco EVOs, but I have to wait and see if I can retain the sliders once I fix the cage. I need to make it in w/ a helmet.

It would be pretty easy to make your own offset hub. I took an old ratty steering wheel, drilled out the rivets to get the spline/cancel ring off, used a thin round slug of aluminum, and make a "momo" adapter. Its FAR thinner than a real momo adapter hub. I took lots of pics, but didn't post a thread on it. I'll try to get off my butt and do that sometime this week. It would be just as easy to drill the holes off center and move the wheel up. I used a momo prototipo which is a smaller diameter (350mm) to begin with.

SMD
Gustl
QUOTE(type4org @ Sep 11 2006, 02:02 PM) *

Danke Gustl. wink.gif

That is a really nice wheel and retains the stock look. That'll make getting into and out of the car a lot easier, too.

It is indeed expensive and I really shouldn't do it, but I just ordered the 360mm with the 30 mm extended hub. I'm in Germany right now and I can just put it in my luggage on the way back... happy11.gif

gerne wink.gif

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and it arrived a couple of days ago - but I didn't install it yet (always in a hurry)
it's really a nice part and will make things easier for me too (at least I hope so)

wavey.gif Gustl
smdubovsky
Oh, and if the shfter is running into your leg you can definately bend/cut the stock rod (I did that in my 911 so 2nd gear wouldn't hit the seat and the rod would come more straight back) A simpler/better solution might be to buy a rennshift - the angled part of the rod can be turned any way you want it before you tighten the set screws. I only say "simpler/better" because it really is a worthwhile upgrade.

SMD
bryanc
QUOTE(swl @ Sep 11 2006, 04:40 AM) *

QUOTE(type4org @ Sep 11 2006, 01:54 AM) *

I was thinking even a used shifter, heated and carefully bent towards the right, could improve that situation.

Could you accomplish the same thing just by adjusting the shifter? Of course you would then be pushing it into your passenger leg.

You cant because the reverse spring is what you are adjusting to.

But you can move the entire shifter over a bit.
Krieger
I'm 6'4" and have cut the cross beam off the floor. I plan on cuttung a large U shape into the floor and dropping the rearmost section down 2' or so and weldind in some pieces to support my new asslocation.
effutuo101
agree.gif I had a cut down seat cushion. It gave me another couple of inches. I used the rest for a small pad that went on top of it for longer drives.
horizontally-opposed
Maybe this is what you need.

I am selling mine in the classifieds section (a truly shameless plug biggrin.gif ).
So.Cal.914
Gurney bubble ring a bell?

Click to view attachment
maf914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 13 2006, 11:07 PM) *

Gurney bubble ring a bell?

Bubble the roof panel? That's a good suggestion.

And that photo does ring a bell. "Gurney for President!" laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.