Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Hey all. I'm finally fed up with my D-Jet system because I actually want to DRIVE my money pit once in a while. I'm thinking of going to dual weber 40s with 36mm venturies (Stock 1.7 engine). I know I'll have to redo the fuel system and I've heard rumblings of needing a different dizzy. Is there anything else I need to switch over? Also, what would you guys recommend for jet sizes? I'd like to go to SDSfi but I just can't afford it right now and don't want to wait even more months 'till I am able to afford it. Anyways, any tips you can offer. Thanks.
Mark D.
SLITS
So..... what's wrong with the D-Jet you can't fix?
TravisNeff
You can keep your stock distributor, or go with a mallory or 050. You will need a different fuel pump (less pressure). That should be about it. If you are using the stock wiring for the fuel pump, you will have to leave the ECU and harness from your FI. I would go with a switched power source elsewhere than leave the FI parts in.
terrymason
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Sep 11 2006, 11:28 AM) *

You can keep your stock distributor, or go with a mallory or 050. You will need a different fuel pump (less pressure). That should be about it. If you are using the stock wiring for the fuel pump, you will have to leave the ECU and harness from your FI. I would go with a switched power source elsewhere than leave the FI parts in.

The PO changed mine over, and mounted a normal toggle switch under the dash. Works great as a kill switch. For about a month there I'd always get in and make it about 10 feet before it died out.
SLITS
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Sep 11 2006, 12:28 PM) *

Nope, you pull the relay off the board and solder a wire between pin 85 and pin 87 and you have switched power to the pump.

Plus, you buy a Mallory fuel pressure regulator w/return and you can use the stock pump.
Leo Imperial
Can you cap the return line if you already have a pump?
SLITS
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Sep 11 2006, 02:36 PM) *

Can you cap the return line if you already have a pump?

Sure ........
Leo Imperial
Cool. I am swaping engines this week and the new(old) one has carbs. I was going just plug the line and didn't know if that was too ghetto
Rand
I guess if you are more comfortable with carbs than Djet, and if you plan on building a hipo motor in the future that is beyond the scope of Djet, then it makes sense.

I just hate to see someone get frustrated and throw away a good system. Djet is NOT that complicated. If could be a whole lot easier to just fix the problem. If you are still open to some help with the Djet, post the symptoms you're having.
BMXerror
First of all, I'm not 'throwing' anything away. It's more of a gentle 'slide' in the trash can... hehe.. Seriously though, I've got quite a few new parts that I've purchased in my attempts to mend the problem, so I'll cycle those back into the 914 community. I know the D-jet is not complicated, but it's actually going to be cheaper to switch over to carbs. I know that the problem is either in the loom or the brain, and niether of those is cheap to replace.
YES, I'm frustrated. I've owned a 914 for five months and haven't even gotten to drive it yet. And BTW, I AM planning to build a "hipo motor" later, but weber 40s won't handle it either. As I said before, I would like to buy an SDS and just remap it when I build my new motor, but I don't want to wait ANOTHER 5 months to drive my car while I save up the money!
Thanks for the carb tips guys.
Mark D.
ziggy101
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Sep 11 2006, 03:06 PM) *

First of all, I'm not 'throwing' anything away. It's more of a gentle 'slide' in the trash can... hehe.. Seriously though, I've got quite a few new parts that I've purchased in my attempts to mend the problem, so I'll cycle those back into the 914 community. I know the D-jet is not complicated, but it's actually going to be cheaper to switch over to carbs. I know that the problem is either in the loom or the brain, and niether of those is cheap to replace.
YES, I'm frustrated. I've owned a 914 for five months and haven't even gotten to drive it yet. And BTW, I AM planning to build a "hipo motor" later, but weber 40s won't handle it either. As I said before, I would like to buy an SDS and just remap it when I build my new motor, but I don't want to wait ANOTHER 5 months to drive my car while I save up the money!
Thanks for the carb tips guys.
Mark D.

hey i have 2 brains froma 70-74 if ud like one. id sell for like 20 dollars. i have 2 of them. tell me if ur interested. ud have to pay shipping tho..... blink.gif
SLITS
I'm not gonna cut Ziggy out, but if you want a harness w/brain to try out and see if it solves your problems.....come to my place in Riverside and I'll hand you the setup. I should have several.

BTW, the brains do not usually go bad.
spunone
Brains do go bad mine did ....opps you mean the one for the car never mind
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.