Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: N.A.R.P. wat is its real meaning then?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ziggy101
ok...to all of you who say a 914 is N.A.R.P. or not a real porsche, wat is a real porsche to you then? the modern porsche is much different than that of the 914. the 914 CAME BEFORE THESE MODERN PORSCHES. the 914 was a buildoff point for the modern porsche. i think then the modern porsches are NOT A REAL PORSCHE. so to u who say 914s arent real porsches, wtf r u talkin about? get off ur @$$ and check out some REAL PORSCHES
jd74914
It be a joke smile.gif
shaggy
ever notice that 75% of the components of the car say "VW"?

NARP refers to the 914's vopo origin.
that is to say its a "volkswagon-porsche"

too bad the insurance company only defines it as "Porsche" dry.gif

the 914's werent even assembled at the porsche factory if i rememebr correctly(i dont know about the 6's though)

what about the 356?
isnt it a vopo?
but its considered the "original porsche"

-shaggy
ziggy101
all porsches are just highly modified VW's
MoveQik
Who cares what it is? They are cars that are a blast to drive. I would own mine and drive regardless of who built it. I don't know of anyone that bought one to say they own a Porsche. Everyone I know bought one because they are so fun.

Porsche....VW.....Fiat.....Datsun...it don't matter as long as it's fun.
ziggy101
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Sep 11 2006, 03:26 PM) *

Who cares what it is? They are cars that are a blast to drive. I would own mine and drive regardless of who built it. I don't know of anyone that bought one to say they own a Porsche. Everyone I know bought one because they are so fun.

ya see? thats the good. but it irritates me when ppl are like..o its not a real porsche. they are fun to drive. i no that, i have mine. and i dont care what it is either. but it just gets annoying ya no?
shaggy
QUOTE(ziggy101 @ Sep 11 2006, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(MW 914 @ Sep 11 2006, 03:26 PM) *

ya see? thats the good. but it irritates me when ppl are like..o its not a real porsche. they are fun to drive. i no that, i have mine. and i dont care what it is either. but it just gets annoying ya no?

it still says porsche on the engine lid regaurdless of its stock 0-60 time being 12 seconds... biggrin.gif

-jim
plymouth37
I find it is much more degrading to the competition to let them know their exotic pride and joy just got destroyed by a 30 year old vw biggrin.gif
Mike D.
r u txt mesgng from da cell or sumtin?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Sep 11 2006, 03:50 PM) *

r u txt mesgng from da cell or sumtin?

agree.gif U no? piratenanner.gif chairfall.gif
Joe Bob
Who the fuck cares?

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 11 2006, 03:59 PM) *

Who the fuck cares?

ya wut he sed!
tomamafone
Ziggy, dude, you're preaching to the choir here man. The term was adopted after all the other porsche people would try to put us teener people down by saying that our cars were "Not A Real Porsche". instead of being all bent out of shape about it, the teener community, at least those on this board, has picked it up as a term of endearment for our awesome little cars. relax man smile.gif
drewvw
related story:

I was ribbed by my crew at the races with all weekend about this. They were all harassing me before this one race. I pulled out some 914/6 wins in 1970 (Lemans, a bunch of others on the kickass ad I bought which is below) and they weren't saying jack.

then...the race started and about 8 914s came barreling in looking awesome and in 1st and 3rd place. Ahead of many 911s. They were holding there own.

ok so they were 914/6s, the "real" ones. but the fact of the matter is a 914/4 is the same damn car sans some swappable components. And it drives like the other early air cooled porsches.

They're all cool and are true sports cars, that's what really matters. smilie_pokal.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(shaggy @ Sep 11 2006, 03:38 PM) *

it still says porsche on the engine lid regaurdless of its stock 0-60 time being 12 seconds... biggrin.gif

-jim

Compare that to the 365s and tell me how fast they were. Wasn't always about acceleration.
Joe Bob
They made and STILL make Mustangs in six and 4 cylinder versions.....same with Chevy Camaros..... flipa.gif

The 911 had the ugly stepchild called the 912.......of course I've seen some BAD ASS 912s.....but never a racing Mustang sixer with a three on the tree shifter....
shaggy
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 11 2006, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(shaggy @ Sep 11 2006, 03:38 PM) *

-jim

Compare that to the 365s and tell me how fast they were. Wasn't always about acceleration.

thank god poke.gif biggrin.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(tomamafone @ Sep 11 2006, 04:02 PM) *

relax man

agree.gif relax dude, around here it's more of a joke than anything ... wavey.gif

and while you're now sitting back relaxing, how about you read up on some of the 914 related history? cool_shades.gif

the 914 is in fact *not* a porsche. the car was sold by the "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft", a separate company that was founded just for that one purpose, to sell the 914, as it was neither a VW nor a Porsche.

anywhere in the world, except the USA, the 914 was sold as a "VW-Porsche" ...

there is *pages* of details about how this all came to be and how it ultimately failed.
that should keep you busy reading for a while ...
bye1.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
Consider this:

* Front suspension designed by Porsche

* Rear suspension designed by Porsche

* Trans designed by Porsche

* Body designed by Porsche/ built by Karman (builders of many great Porsche

body's)

* Engine designed before WWII by... you guessed it.....Porsche.

So when some one desides to BOLDLY SAY WHAT HAS NEVER BEEN SAID BEFORE

"it's not a real porsche" you can tell them it's a VW/ Porsche. Best of both worlds.

That or "Well it rusts like one."
Howard
Whatever. It's more of a slam to the 911 crowd. If you are insecure and/or have a little winky, you should not drive a 914.

Please note I own a 911 blink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Howard @ Sep 11 2006, 05:54 PM) *

Whatever. It's more of a slam to the 911 crowd. If you are insecure and/or have a little winky, you should not drive a 914.

no you dont...

you own a 996 tongue.gif
drewvw

laugh.gif nice zing on yourself!
Howard
QUOTE(drewvw @ Sep 11 2006, 06:00 PM) *

laugh.gif nice zing on yourself!

Yeah, but I only drive the taildragger when it's REALLY cold.
SLITS
In my case ....... NARP = Not a Real Prick (I don't own a 911 or 996 )

I own "The Brown Turd"!
drewvw

so now we're talking about porsche shrinkage.....

I was in the pool!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(drewvw @ Sep 11 2006, 06:15 PM) *

so now we're talking about porsche shrinkage.....

I was in the pool!

av-943.gif
dekman
Here is a real NARP!......a 996 rebodied with a weird carrera GT Look-a-like kit! Ugly as sin. barf.gif
JPB
agree.gif Okay Hand Solo, lets take the hover Porsche to the pit for a little dust kicking!

NARP? The best thing that EVER happened to Porsche was VOLKSWAGON!!!! Without VW and Adolf Hitler, Porsche would be nada. I don't know about you fellas, but I don't like to call it a Porsche anyways, its a nine fourteen to me and I will probably only put 914 on it as an emblem. I do have some kickass Stuttguart stickers to go on the front fenders though!! I'll post pics when done. It neither has to be aircooled, watercooled, 1.7 four or 501 V8, its a 914 and Porsche people could KMA.gif!!!

beer.gif 914 club right?
SGB
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 11 2006, 07:12 PM) *

[the 914 is in fact *not* a porsche. the car was sold by the "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft", a separate company that was founded just for that one purpose, to sell the 914, as it was neither a VW nor a Porsche.

Andy

I would say more accurately (IMO) that VAG was founded as a more formal partnership of VW-Audi and Porsche in an attempt to move VW upmarket. VW invested heavily in Porsche's racing program and dealer infrastructure with the caveat that the 914 be a VW-Porsche. At the same time, Porsche was designing several VW cars that never came to fruiton, my guess is because it became more apparent to both companies that neither really benefited from such an apparent association. I think a parralel today would be a Lexus-Toyota.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 11 2006, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 11 2006, 07:12 PM) *

[the 914 is in fact *not* a porsche. the car was sold by the "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft", a separate company that was founded just for that one purpose, to sell the 914, as it was neither a VW nor a Porsche.

I would say more accurately (IMO) that VAG was founded as a more formal partnership of VW-Audi and Porsche in an attempt to move VW upmarket. VW invested heavily in Porsche's racing program and dealer infrastructure with the caveat that the 914 be a VW-Porsche. At the same time, Porsche was designing several VW cars that never came to fruiton, my guess is because it became more apparent to both companies that neither really benefited from such an apparent association. I think a parralel today would be a Lexus-Toyota.

except, VAG and "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft" have nothing to do with each other, two completely different companies ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
914nerd
QUOTE(JPB @ Sep 11 2006, 07:34 PM) *

its a nine fourteen to me

absolutely
these things are a blast to drive (even if they, the /4s at least, don't have the blinding acceleration of some things)
if you want straight line fast, put some hugeass v8 on a tube frame and go
if you want fun, drive a 914
IMO
biggrin.gif
SGB
OK Sir Andy, I need to be further schooled. Please help me get this right- Who is "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft", the dealer network part of the VW Porsche relationship?
TravisNeff
NARP

What porsche is a true porsche? racecars, certainly. 356? wasn't that a derivative of the VW bug? Didn't Porsche work at VW (as well as auto union) pre war? The first porsches were coach built cars off of VW's. 911? the next generation of 356. 912, same deal - a bit closer to the 356. 924 water cooled and engine in the wrong place - audi engine. 944/968 a spawn of the 924. Same deal with the 928 - lotsa power. 996 it's over since it is water cooled, boxster - well it is too much like a 914 which is a narp too. I honestly think the term came up because people who spent good money on a high dollar 911 got it stuffed in their face that more common folk could afford the real deal.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 11 2006, 08:50 PM) *

OK Sir Andy, I need to be further schooled. Please help me get this right- Who is "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft", the dealer network part of the VW Porsche relationship?

this is actually a bit more complicated than just a simple paragraph, but i'll try ...
DGVWPB dedicates about 10 pages just to that very subject (large pages i might add) ...

basically, forget about the dealer network (VW or Porsche) for a moment. when VW and Porsche decided to do the 914 project together, they founded a brand new car company, the "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft" in which both had a large share. that company was in fact who "build" and "sold" the 914 exclusively. neither VW nor Porsche build the 914, "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft" did ...

however, there's *MUCH* more to this story than this condensed version above.
it really is a shame that DGVWPB was never published in english, as it would help clearing this up a lot ...
smile.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Bumper stickers discussed at Dinner....

NICE PORSCHE......SORRY ABOUT YER DICK!!!!

Porsche is a two syllable word....but so is Dickhead....

A proper engine mount negates the need for further structural wleding....except for the loose nut behind the wheel.....

PORSCHE 911...Donor Car waiting for the sawzall.....

PORSCHE, there's no porcupine inside.....

NARP.....not a real planet, first Pluto, next Uranus....

Alzheimer's, Howie making new friends every day....
bugsy0
agree.gif Those NARP folks are often clueless anyway. Just go drive the pants off that car and smile, smile, smile!
Eric Hagelin
This is my 914.

There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

My 914 is my best friend. It is my life.

I must master it as I must master my life.

My 914 without me is useless. Without my 914, I am useless.

I must drive my 914 true.

I must drive straighter than my enemy who is trying to race me.

I must out-drive him before he out-drives me. I will...

My 914 and myself know that what counts in driving is not the rust we grind,

the noise of our back-fires, nor the smoke we make.

We know it is hitting the curves that count. We will hit those curves...

My 914 is human, even as I, because it is my life.

Thus, I will learn it as a brother.

I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories,
its nuts, and its bolts.

I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage.

I will keep my 914 clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.

We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God I swear this creed.

My 914 and myself are the defenders of Ferdie's legacy.

We are the masters of our enemy.

We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until there is no enemy, but OPEN ROAD.
ziggy101
QUOTE(Eric Hagelin @ Sep 12 2006, 07:37 AM) *

This is my 914.

There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

My 914 is my best friend. It is my life.

I must master it as I must master my life.

My 914 without me is useless. Without my 914, I am useless.

I must drive my 914 true.

I must drive straighter than my enemy who is trying to race me.

I must out-drive him before he out-drives me. I will...

My 914 and myself know that what counts in driving is not the rust we grind,

the noise of our back-fires, nor the smoke we make.

We know it is hitting the curves that count. We will hit those curves...

My 914 is human, even as I, because it is my life.

Thus, I will learn it as a brother.

I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories,
its nuts, and its bolts.

I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage.

I will keep my 914 clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.

We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God I swear this creed.

My 914 and myself are the defenders of Ferdie's legacy.

We are the masters of our enemy.

We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until there is no enemy, but OPEN ROAD.

dude..i salute you agree.gif marine corps all the way
Howard
Next question. What do you get when you cross a Jarhead with a NARP?
WaideS
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 11 2006, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Howard @ Sep 11 2006, 05:54 PM) *

no you dont...

you own a 996 tongue.gif

Howard, isn't your 911/996 an automatic????
It's a NARP
SLITS
QUOTE(Howard @ Sep 12 2006, 08:08 AM) *

A Fiat?

A Jararp?

A VW with license to kill?

Moby Dick?

The sound of breaking glass accompanied by sputter sputter?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Howard @ Sep 12 2006, 08:08 AM) *

A killer ride.

Muscle car.

Transportation that can field strip a M-16 with it's eyes closed. ar15.gif
Howard
I don't know, but you can bet your ass it wouldn't rust. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.