Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When reinstalling a master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I've been doing my searching on installing a new master cylinder and,
many seem to suggest completely taking out the feed lines and installing them into the master cylinder outside of the car. Seems simple enough, but, how are the feed lines reinserted back up to the reservoir? This is with the gas tank in.

jd74914
Why would you do that? I attached mine after I bolted in the MC and it works great.
TravisNeff
I have never tried this approach - but it seems that it might be a little easier to seat the feed lines into the M/C outside of the car.

Anyhow, you will need to seat the lines in the MC, tape up or plug the hose ends - and fish it backup up the tub. You will see that there are two short sections of cloth braided hoses that connect the feed lines to the resivour - reattach there.

I would imagine that it will not be that difficult to get the hoses past the gas tank, a helper would make this quicker.
bondo
Just disconnect the hoses from the reservoir, and pull them down about 6 inches. This allows you to get a good grip on them when pushing them into the master cylinder rubber grommets. The grommets go into the master cylinder, and then the lines go in the grommets. The sorta go "squick" when they they pop fully in place. Once they're in, put the master cylinder in place, then reconnect the lines at the top. Always use new grommets. Repalce the short rubber hoses at the reservoir (with the right type of hose) if they don't look new.
Hammy
Thanks for the replies.

QUOTE(bondo @ Sep 11 2006, 03:38 PM) *

Always use new grommets.

Does a new MC come with the new grommets?
So.Cal.914
Yes.
URY914
QUOTE(bondo @ Sep 11 2006, 02:38 PM) *

Just disconnect the hoses from the reservoir, and pull them down about 6 inches. This allows you to get a good grip on them when pushing them into the master cylinder rubber grommets. The grommets go into the master cylinder, and then the lines go in the grommets. The sorta go "squick" when they they pop fully in place. Once they're in, put the master cylinder in place, then reconnect the lines at the top. Always use new grommets. Repalce the short rubber hoses at the reservoir (with the right type of hose) if they don't look new.

agree.gif That's the way I did it.
McMark
How about just unscrewing the reservoir clamp? That way you don't risk damaging the blue lines. That's my technique and I'm sticking to it. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.