Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock oil cooler with additional fittings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LouisCypher
Hi everybody,

does anybody know which cars these oil coolers were used for?

IPB Image

Cheers,

Louis
Brando
Looks like an aftermarket deal. I've never seen a 914 with something like that STOCK. That would poke through the fan housing in a pretty akward fashion. Not to mention possible clearance issues with a non-stock distributor, and how much stress might be put on the flimsy oil cooler.
LouisCypher
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 12 2006, 12:12 AM) *

Looks like an aftermarket deal. I've never seen a 914 with something like that STOCK. That would poke through the fan housing in a pretty akward fashion. Not to mention possible clearance issues with a non-stock distributor, and how much stress might be put on the flimsy oil cooler.

Hi,

it is a stock Type IV oil cooler. does not necesarily to be stock on a 914. And forget about the fittings, these can be custom fittings used for a special purpose.

The interesting point is the additional holes for the fittings!

Cheers,

Louis
type47
looks very interesting but i predict major clearance issues with the fan housing. pure guess is application is some special racing motor without fan housing or highly modified fan housing.
maf914
My guess is that it is for an additional external oil cooler used with a 911 style cooling shroud. But I'm just guessing. idea.gif
ClayPerrine
Actually, there wouldn't be an issue with fan clearance. There is about an inch between the fan housing and the cooler. On Betty's car the AC belt runs there.

It may have been for an external cooler, or possibly a sportomatic 914/4.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 12 2006, 05:53 AM) *

Actually, there wouldn't be an issue with fan clearance. There is about an inch between the fan housing and the cooler. On Betty's car the AC belt runs there.

It may have been for an external cooler, or possibly a sportomatic 914/4.

and if you routed the lines pointing down, you would be in the clear.....
Jake Raby
Came from an industrial Type 4 engine..

The only negative point is the wide spacing of the rows of cooling fins. It was made to run steady state with a solid amount of air flow, no acceleration.

I have a couple of them.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 12 2006, 10:04 AM) *

Came from an industrial Type 4 engine..

The only negative point is the wide spacing of the rows of cooling fins. It was made to run steady state with a solid amount of air flow, no acceleration.

I have a couple of them.

jake, can you elaborate a little -?

whats wrong with the wide spacing? less cooling fin area?

im sure others know, but i would like to learn i guess smile.gif
Jake Raby
fins= surface area. The more surface area the better thermal conductivity.

Basically a given amount of air goes further....

A component without cooling capability is near impossible to be cooled...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 12 2006, 10:27 AM) *

fins= surface area. The more surface area the better thermal conductivity.

Basically a given amount of air goes further....

A component without cooling capability is near impossible to be cooled...

thats what i figured, less surface area...

so a stock cooler is more densely packed with cooling fins...

got it.

Thanks Jake.
AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.