Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 power possibilities?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBritain
First let me introduce myself, my name is Patrick, I live in Orange, CA and I have a white 71 1.7 im 18 and my dad used to race his 70 back when it was new.

anyways, i drove my car around stock for a month or 2 before deciding to buy myself an every day driver and make my teener into a streetable race car. so right now i am in the process of stripping it down so i can add some flares and the 916 front and rear end and send it to paint.

next, and the real reason for posting this is, im going to put a 2.0 in there (i think) and i plan on getting the euro pistons, a hot cam from fat most likely, and doing a lot of head work, oh and it will be running on 2 weber idf 40's. couple of questions though, to raise the compression should i mill the head, or deck the cylinders? what else can i do to get some power? im looking to get 200hp or so out of it, is that way to much to shoot for?

look forward to meeting all of ya and goin to some car shows races etc as soon as the cars done.

Patrick Britain
ptravnic
200hp is not possible w/the setup you describe.

Instead of the 94mm euro spec pistons you could look into 96mm pistons as that will bump up your displacemtnt to 2056. Then of course you could also go with a higher performance cam, longer stroke crank, ceramic lifters....

You get the idea. Figure out how much $ you are willing to spend and the folks here will guide you accordingly.

And,
Bleyseng
No way can you get a streetable 2.0L to 200hp.

For the money (this week until Thursday) Jake Raby's 2056 (125hp) or the 2270 (150hp) engine kits are on sale for about $2720 (2056 kit). That is the best and cheapest hp you can buy.

These are proven upto date engine combo's vs old skool hot cam, huge valve, 12to1comp heads etc that are outdated. headbang.gif
Jake Raby
You REALLY need to listen to last weeks download of the 4th Dimension radio show as I cover most of this..

Also listen to this weeks show as I cover budget build ups and power that can be gotten from them..
PBritain
i was afraid of that haha. well my car is lookin like it will weigh in around 1500 lbs. so i mean 150 hp is not a bad power to weight ratio at all cool.gif
Marlow
2270 for $2600 boldblue.gif

Jake, is this listed somewhere? I don't see it in the Type IV Store.
PBritain
hey jake, looking at the type IV store website the 2270 kit looks appealing, so if i understand right i buy that and it comes with everything i need? thanks for all the quick help guys
VaccaRabite
The only way to take advantage of Jakes 2056 and 2270 deals is to listen to his radio show (MP3 format off his website.) And if you want to take advantage of it, you need to act NOW.

And Jake, I could kill you for not having this deal two months from now when my wedding related spending moritorium for my car was lifted! smile.gif

Zach
anthony
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 12 2006, 12:30 PM) *

For the money (this week until Thursday) Jake Raby's 2056 (125hp) or the 2270 (150hp) engine kits are on sale for about $2600. That is the best and cheapest hp you can buy.

$2600 appears to be on the low side and doesn't include shipping, prep service, or balancing. I think one would be a fool to buy one of Jake's kits and not get the prep or balancing.

And the 2270 kit isn't the same price as the 2056. (How I wish it was!!!) The 2270 has better heads, stroker crank obviously, higher level of balance, and I'm not sure what else but I imagine that there are a number of other differences.
Jake Raby
The promotions are not listed, each week I have a product of the week and this week it was two different engine kits. These prices are not listed anywhere, only verbally on the radio show.

The kits were a whopping 20% off the normal price and also 20% off of the entire cost of the kit, including upgrades!!

But the money has to be in my hands by close of business tomorrow- at this point a ton of people are missing out! LISTEN TO THE RADIO SHOW!!

BTW- if I have any hint that a customer did not listen to the show I'll give them a pop quiz- if they fail no discount. I am offering these great deals top promote listenership. If you listen weekly to the show you'll benefit.

I don't plan to offer any more engine kits this way, however.
Bleyseng
The show is worth listening to as it goes over tons of info on the 914 engine and the options for upgrades. A must for a newbie or wannabie.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Bleyseng:
Hell it's good for ALL or us to listen to. Dave slap.gif
Joe Ricard
Maybe my brand new computer is crap but DAT SHIT WON"T LOAD.
I am not going to play nanny nanny listen to my show for a good deal.
I will be emailing for shipping details in the morning to ship rotating assembly for balance.

What is 47 Raby drive
What was the question?
grantsfo
Wow! 1500 lbs! Is this a race car? Do you have pics?
brant
QUOTE(PBritain @ Sep 12 2006, 01:40 PM) *

i was afraid of that haha. well my car is lookin like it will weigh in around 1500 lbs. so i mean 150 hp is not a bad power to weight ratio at all cool.gif

thats not a realistic weight either for 99.9% of the cars out there.
I know of less than a dozen cars that actually could achieve that....
(and those are race cars with as much as 30K into them)

the set up you describe is going to be around 120hp depending upon the intake, ignition, and exhaust you choose.

most street cars weigh 2000lbs.
really really really light ones weigh 1900lbs.
you'll probably have to spend 5G in fiberglass to beat that.

brant
anthony
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 12 2006, 08:00 PM) *

Maybe my brand new computer is crap but DAT SHIT WON"T LOAD.

It's just a standard mp3. Install iTunes and then download it and throw it in iTunes.
Or any other mp3 player.
thomasotten
My check should be there today Jake, unless the U.S. Postal service screws up the overnight. How about a discounted Mallory distributer for this week's offer, Jake?

Joe Ricard
Working now.
So I stayed up past midnight listening. Had to close and go to bed. 4 am is just too damn early.
I will finish listening today. I was right 47 Raby drive. Ha ha!!!!
PBritain
weighed 1700 when i got it... (felt really good about it til my buddy brought his midget over and it weighed 1300 lol) so far ive gutted the doors, taken out the rear window, changed from the stock heavy fuel tank to a fuel cell, got rid of all of the sound deadening, as well as that sound pad behind the driver, gutted the dash and got all the undercoating off of it. i plan to switch to a carbon fiber hood and trunk, and fiberglass front and rear bumpers.

i figured that should drop me at least 200 lbs but i dunno i might be wrong.

also im not afraid to spend money, but if 120-150 hp is all i can get out of a 2.0 im gonna drop a 6 or a subie in there cuz this car has got to be as mean down a straight as it is through a corner.
Bleyseng
If you had jumped on the Raby engine deal you could have got a 2270 150hp kit for $4400 plus upgraded to 200hp for a fair $$.

200 hp in a lightened 914 is scary fast, 250 hp is close to hitting lightspeed!

Why would you want to add weight with all that water????

The Raby motor or a six can use the 901 tranny but too much hp/torque and its swap time which costs bigger money.
blitZ
I suggest you take a ride with someone in your area with a hot four, I think you'd be surprised.
yarin
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 12 2006, 05:31 PM) *

The promotions are not listed, each week I have a product of the week and this week it was two different engine kits. These prices are not listed anywhere, only verbally on the radio show.

The kits were a whopping 20% off the normal price and also 20% off of the entire cost of the kit, including upgrades!!

But the money has to be in my hands by close of business tomorrow- at this point a ton of people are missing out! LISTEN TO THE RADIO SHOW!!

BTW- if I have any hint that a customer did not listen to the show I'll give them a pop quiz- if they fail no discount. I am offering these great deals top promote listenership. If you listen weekly to the show you'll benefit.

I don't plan to offer any more engine kits this way, however.

Great show Jake! Very informative for any 914 owner!

I'm sorry I missed out on the great deal you offered.. i would have pulled the trigger otherwise. chowtime.gif

Keep up the great work! Us 914 guys really appreciate your efforts.
brant
QUOTE(PBritain @ Sep 14 2006, 09:15 AM) *

weighed 1700 when i got it... (felt really good about it til my buddy brought his midget over and it weighed 1300 lol) so far ive gutted the doors, taken out the rear window, changed from the stock heavy fuel tank to a fuel cell, got rid of all of the sound deadening, as well as that sound pad behind the driver, gutted the dash and got all the undercoating off of it. i plan to switch to a carbon fiber hood and trunk, and fiberglass front and rear bumpers.

i figured that should drop me at least 200 lbs but i dunno i might be wrong.

also im not afraid to spend money, but if 120-150 hp is all i can get out of a 2.0 im gonna drop a 6 or a subie in there cuz this car has got to be as mean down a straight as it is through a corner.

did you weigh it on car type corner balancing scales? (truck scales are not always accurate)

thats a pretty good weight then.
1700 is doable for a street legal 4 cylinder
but I haven't seen street legal cars hit 1500... only race cars
brant
Jake Raby
[quote name='yarin' date='Sep 14 2006, 10:09 AM' post='771809']
[quote name='Jake Raby' post='770004' date='Sep 12 2006, 05:31 PM']

I'm sorry I missed out on the great deal you offered.. i would have pulled the trigger otherwise. chowtime.gif

[/quote]
Yeah, the offer was sweet.. It pays to listen early and not hesitate!
PBritain
yeah i used to race an asa speed truck, so i have the longacre 4 wheel scales. 1700 on the dot haha.

i wish i coulda jumped on that engine deal, but i just dont have the money yet.

i was thinkin about it, and no matter what, im goin with a 2.0 as a base because if i do anything else i have to do a radiator, and i wont be able to do as many vintage races.

so if anyone has a hot four around orange let me know and maybe we can get together so i can see just what im in store for.

thanks guys
Patrick Britain
brant
Patrick,

you had best start reading up on the rules for the vintage organizations in your areas..

they can be pretty particular about how you build a car and won't allow many things

for example, it could heavily dictate what type of motor components you have... even carbs versus fuel injection (which means no cams if your not allowed carbs) Its common to have a rule that requires "same induction as originally provided by the factory"

my club won't allow any fiberglass. Thus I have metal hoods and fenders.

it also could have an effect upon year of chassis. I had to build a new race car to join my current club, because my 1974 race car was too new and they required 1972 or older.

(note no 2.0/4 motors were produced in 1972 so in my club you have to run a 1.7L motor or a 2.0/6 motor with no exceptions)

lots of rules to adhere too.
brant
Brett W
How about some math here.:

stock 914 2100lbs, 95hp= 22lbs/HP
light 914 1700 lbs 150HP= 11lbs/HP
light 914 1700lbs w/subie= 7.4lbs/HP
Nice street weight 914 2080, w/subie (227)= 9.16

STock ZO6 3100lbs, 505HP= 6.13lbs/HP

If your not rule constrained, don't bother with an aircooled four, can't even come close.
thomasotten
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 14 2006, 09:48 PM) *

If your not rule constrained, don't bother with an aircooled four, can't even come close.

Your math is fine, but I just don't get it. Why spend all this effort trying to turn your car into a Fiero when they are readily available. There is no heritage, no whirling of the engine fan, you lose your trunk completely due to a radiator. Plus, your German car is being pushed by a Japanese engine. Plus, you pretty well guarantee that your car will end up in the ash heap of automotive history as another "conversion". If it was all about power, or spead, I would have gotten rid of my 914 long ago.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 14 2006, 10:48 PM) *

How about some math here.:

stock 914 2100lbs, 95hp= 22lbs/HP
light 914 1700 lbs 150HP= 11lbs/HP
light 914 1700lbs w/subie= 7.4lbs/HP
Nice street weight 914 2080, w/subie (227)= 9.16

STock ZO6 3100lbs, 505HP= 6.13lbs/HP

How about a 550 Spyder replica weighing 1200 pounds with 184HP.. thats 6.38 lb/HP.. Mine is for sale on Ebay as we speak!

Of course it may not be legal for vintage racing, since its a replica...
Bleyseng
Need to turbo that motor Jake to get some really big bragging rights...... burnout.gif
Joe Ricard
Spyder would funny with flares and 22 x 9.5 x 15 Slicks But man would it be fast.
Brett W
Spyder is cool. That is a car that can easily reach 1200lbs. You won't get a full sized teener that light. Bet that is one cool ass ride. Would we want to drive it or would we be afraid somebody would flatten it? Is it a street car?

The goal in this case is maximum HP/weight. An aircooled engine can't generate the numbers for the budget. The subaru engine is an offshoot of the T4. It is a better version of said engine. 4 valves, 5 main bearings, twin overhead cams, watercooling, etc. The Japanese took a good idea and refined it. Can't argue with the results.

AS for the other issues, done properly you don't lose a trunk. If it is a properly done conversion with all details taken care of, it wouldn't sell for any less than a normal 914-4 with a modified engine. In fact I would be you could get more money for a well done subby conversion than you could for 90% of the four cylinder cars out there.
PBritain
ive come to the conclusion that im going to build my own 2.0 and wherever the power comes out to is where it is. the whole thing will be built my way (unless i dont have a particular preference or something else is just way better) and pretty much its gonna be a car built to suit me and no one else.

hopefully that didnt come out as a know it all i dont want your help statement, because i definately will be needing help along the way.

next week the car will come apart and pictures will be taken.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.