Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas lifts for trunk(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PORobinSCHE
biggrin.gif Greetings,

anyone using gas struts instead of the springs for the trunk lid? are they reliable? and any installation issues?

thanks

Robin driving.gif
watsonrx13
Robin, I've installed the rear trunk shocks and really enjoy using them. I'll show them to you at the breakfast...

BTW, I got them from Craig (boxstr), camp914.

-- Rob

QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Sep 12 2006, 08:49 PM) *

biggrin.gif Greetings,

anyone using gas struts instead of the springs for the trunk lid? are they reliable? and any installation issues?

thanks

Robin driving.gif
Dr Evil
I have them on both front and back and they are stout and worth it. Get them from Craig at CAMP914. He gives great product support as well smilie_pokal.gif
JPB
Had some on my rear trunk, schweet!!!! Once you go FG or CF though, they are a little to strong and the broom handel comes out.

beer.gif PITA broom handels, gotta come up with a sexy fix!
Aaron Cox
i wub.gif my camp914 rear shox
racerbvd
Yes, get the ones from Camp, that is what we have on my 914-6GT clone agree.gif agree.gif
TINCAN914
[quote name='watsonrx13' post='770220' date='Sep 12 2006, 05:10 PM']
BTW, I got them from Craig (boxstr), camp914.

agree.gif I did on my first teener, but cut cost for the current one. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif I will be contacting Craig before long.. Just my .02

Rand
Gas struts / shocks / shox rule.

If you want a bolt-in kit, do not pass go, go straight to camp914.com. Premium quality vendor, and a very reasonable price.

At a local swap meet, I intended on buying the camp914 kit. But they were out of stock. So I happened to be at a local pull-a-part wrecking yard and scored the parts I needed for a grand total of $7.00. Had to do a little cutting, welding, fabricating work, but it paid off. Posted a lackluster thread about it a while back.

Removing the old tortion bar system can be fun. Don't know where you're at with that. But for sure, the gas shox solution is great.
Lou W
I installed the Camp914 set on my car, here's some pictures. Later on, I decided to weld the brackets on the fenders so that you would not be able to see the screw heads between the gap of the rear decklid and the fender;
DerekKim
Hello! When I got my car I also got a Camp914 rear shock kit but the instructions are kind of iffy. Difficult to read. Has someone done a write up with prefrably photos or should I contact Craig directly to get new instructions?
Lou W
I called Craig directly and he was able to walk me through my questions. smile.gif
DerekKim
I see you welded yours on. Are you suppose to or is it for extra strength?
Lou W
Since I haven't painted it yet, I thought that if I welded it in I wouldn't see the screw heads in the gap between the decklid and fender. welder.gif

DerekKim
I see so the kit is orignally bolt on? Sorry to hi jack her.
Lou W
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Sep 12 2006, 10:51 PM) *

Hello! When I got my car I also got a Camp914 rear shock kit but the instructions are kind of iffy. Difficult to read. Has someone done a write up with prefrably photos or should I contact Craig directly to get new instructions?

What kind of questions are you needing answers to?

QUOTE(DerekKim @ Sep 12 2006, 11:08 PM) *

I see so the kit is orignally bolt on? Sorry to hi jack her.

Yes, bolt on is the original intention.
Toast
I should invest in those! I'm sure it would not make such a gawd-aweful noise. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 13 2006, 01:43 PM) *

I should invest in those! I'm sure it would not make such a gawd-aweful noise. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment

or at least put a roller back on....

mine made the same noise toast LOL
PORobinSCHE
grat info, and excellent pictures! hmmmm disney Grand Prix cars use a similar set-up for their trunk lids cool_shades.gif
i see a plan forming(i smell smoke) chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.