Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OIL TEMP GAUGE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I bought a temp gauge at a FLAPS a couple of weeks ago. Have it mounted, ran the car for a while. Finally after about 10 minutes, the needle started to climb, cool it's working, but it didn't stop. Continued to climb over about 30 seconds until it was maxed. What is going on??? Is it just a crap gauge, or did I do something wrong? I used the sender that came with it. Just ordered a VDO gauge from Pelican with the sender. Another dumb mistake,???? help!!! I wanted to get this last thing done before RRC....
Elliot_Cannon
I think sender and the gauge come as a set and have to be used that way. You can't use a gauge that didn't come with the sender. Use the gauge that came with the sender and it should work.
Elliot
Allan
When I was at Buttonwillow my oil temp gauge pegged as I was leaving. I quickly turned around to catch Brad before he left. Told him what happened and he assured me that it was an electrical problem and that if a wire comes loose the gauge will peg.

I drove the 45 minutes home a little nervous but when I got to looking, sure enough the wire had pulled out of the connector at the sender.

Replaced the connector and hooked it up.

Problem solved.
TINCAN914
Elliot,

I used the sender that came with the gauge.

The connector is on tight Allan..
TROJANMAN
brian,
i think you're screwed. you have probably already ruined your engine beyond repair. i will give you $500 to take the car of fyour hands
TINCAN914
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Sep 12 2006, 06:47 PM) *

brian,
i think you're screwed. you have probably already ruined your engine beyond repair. i will give you $500 to take the car of fyour hands

Oh gosh let me think....... bootyshake.gif
mikelsr
I am in the process of adding VDO temp and pressure gauges to my /6. The instructions were very explicit about the size wire for the ground wire for the gauges. They want a 14 gauge wire for each ground and a separate ground for each gauge. How's your wiring?

I have the sender units in, wires run, and I am putting the gauges in an A-pillar gauge holder.
904svo
Which temp gauge do you have, should be 300 deg with a matching sender unit,
on the sender unit it should tell you the temp range this should match you gauge.
If your gauge don't have any number on it look inside the gauge on the edge you
should see the temp marking for that gauge.
TINCAN914
Mike,

I don't recall the gauge brand off hand, but it did come wuth the sender unit. It's not a VDO gauge, I just ordered that last night, with a new sender. I hope that is the problem. The wiring is new for the gauge, unfortunaley the instructions for this unit are pretty vauge. I am wondering if the unit is not getting a good ground? Could this be the problem? We used plumbers tape on the threads to get a good seal, and I wonder if that might be causing the bad ground....

Max temp on it is 325. I will take a look at it laster this morning..
grasshopperSR
Two things. We had the same problem:
1. The sender has to be a 911 sender to match the VDO taht Pelican sells.
2. Make sure the wiring is nowhere near heat. We melted some insulation where it was close to the exchanger. We trimmed the wire, got it away from heat and it perfectly matches the dipstick thermometer now. (hot)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.