Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do Alternators make a squeaky/low oil noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
We have been getting hit HARD by rain, and i havent done much long distance driving lately.

Now, upon startup I get a kinda sound like 'i need some oil here' or something liek that.

The engine sounds fine, and the oil level is really good. and alternators do funky things, so maybe its brushes or something like that.

Or what could it be?

I've been taking real good care of this engine, as soon as it stops raining i'll do another oil change.

b
bd1308
it doesnt sound engine related at all...

mihai914
Rubber squeaks too. Did you check the belt?
Eric_Shea
Sure... they can squeak. Bushings may be going. The wife's E320 alternator whines. Sounds like a fire engine. I kinda like it... LOL
drive-ability
Start the engine cold and if it's got a marginally loose alternator belt combined with a low battery charge (engine may crank and start fine) will make the load on the belt higher. The loose belt will slip a bit normally just a few times, then quit and work quietly. Oil will just make it worse, check the condition of the belt etc. A moist environment can add to the slippage.
bd1308
Man its been POURING buckets for three straight days. I bet when it clears up it'll stop squeaking. Didnt sound like a Chrysler sweak (sk

My 914 leaks like a WWII U-Boat.

I'm driving and i look over to see drip drip drip drip drip drip from the passenger side 'vent window' where my targa seal (the one nobody can find) is just shot.
type47
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 12 2006, 08:05 PM) *

Man its been POURING buckets for three straight days. I bet when it clears up it'll stop squeaking. Didnt sound like a Chrysler sweak (sk

My 914 leaks like a WWII U-Boat.

I'm driving and i look over to see drip drip drip drip drip drip from the passenger side 'vent window' where my targa seal (the one nobody can find) is just shot.

in the 914 boutique on Pelican Parts, you can buy the 914 wet suit
Joe Ricard
Yea you should oil anything that squeaks. Belts too.
HA HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Or put a new belt on for 5 bucks from FLAPS.
SLITS
Or buy a can / stick of belt dressing, apply it and see if the squeak goes away.

Personally, I like cherry flavor.......
bd1308
Rain stopped, not as wet now, I can actually wear good clothes, and....

no squeak.

I'll get a new belt.

b
jr91472
Alternators have bearings that can go bad too. But in my experience its more of a rattle than a squeak.

bd1308
Well it was a rattle sound too, kind a squeaky and rattly.

sorry i didnt mentione that before but its gone now
tommy914
You should change the alternator oil every 30,000 miles.
av-943.gif
brp914
no laffing matter. my alt was squeaky. I ignored it until one day the alt bearings froze causing a chunk of the fan housing to be ripped out at the lower alt mount. Tried to fill the missing chunk with epoxy - didn't work. Finally had to take engine out and replace fan housing - yay.
bd1308
wow...

how long did it take?

its been dry today and it didnt make one squeak...

I'll change the belt and see what happens
brp914
fixed it in a wknd, but this was years ago, when junk yards and 914's were more plentiful. nowadays this could put you out of commission for weeks. if you take your belt off, spin the alt and see if its still squeaky.
bd1308
I have about three alternators I can use

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.