Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
It's been a long time since my last teener, but I just don't remember the breather ports in the valve covers...

This 2 liter has hoses attached to both covers...are they supposed to be there...should I close em' off...

2-Oh!
Aaron Cox
most have em built into the heads- someone prolly welded breathres on to the valve covers wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 27 2003, 05:40 PM)
most have em built into the heads- someone prolly welded breathres on to the valve covers wink.gif

what he said ... agree.gif

never seen any in the covers, sounds like a custom job from someone who didn't have the right heads.

Andy
Aaron Cox
the BRAD said he has welded "bungs" on to the valve covers of 75/76 heads that didnt have them- (in re: to queenies heads)
SirAndy
so??? still a custom hack job laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 27 2003, 06:57 PM)
so??? still a custom hack job laugh.gif

laugh.gif smash.gif (we neeed a welding smiley- im sure it'd be popular!
2-OH!
OK...but the hoses go from the valve covers to a big filter mounted on the recir pump...I think I,ll lose the pump...Do I need the breather ports in the covers or should I get new covers...If I lose the filter where do the hoses plug in...

PO cut the tin with a double bladed ax to get the hoses up through to the fliter...If I don't need the ports, I can repair the tin and ditch the filter...

2-OH!
SirAndy
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Oct 28 2003, 06:28 AM)
PO cut the tin with a double bladed ax to get the hoses up through to the fliter...If I don't need the ports, I can repair the tin and ditch the filter...

i have no stinking ports and no filter.
if you don't need the car to be smogged, you'll be fine without.
the breather hose from the oil-filler cap to the air filter is enough.
you don't NEED the rest for the engine to run fine.

i have heads without ports (like you i assume) so just get a pair of covers without and sell yours for big $$$ on ebay.

Andy
Dave_Darling
Need? Nope. But having that crankcase ventilation path does help... Ask the people who have sucked valve cover gaskets in.

--DD
silver six
acox914,

Sorry to complain but your avatar is flashing in my face. I have to skip your posts because there's too much flashing on the screen near the writing. Just my opinion.

Douglas
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(silver six @ Oct 28 2003, 01:01 PM)
acox914,

Sorry to complain but your avatar is flashing in my face. I have to skip your posts because there's too much flashing on the screen near the writing. Just my opinion.

Douglas

okay- ill turn it down.... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.