Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front turn signal lens removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeloMech
Two screws holding the front turn signal lens on. The bottom one comes out, the top one won't budge. Any suggestions on how to get it out without destroying the lens?
GeorgeRud
The screw is attached to the pot metal turn signal bucket, and is probably corroded into the bucket. I'd try to remove the entire bucket (accessable from inside the front wheel well - remove the mounting bracket and electrical connectors) from the fender, then keep the area moist with WD40 or some other penetrant for a day or two, then the screw should come out. Obviously, I'd be rather careful to reccommend any heat as the lens may distort or melt.

By having the unit out of the car and upside down, you should have a better penetration of the WD40. If you want to do it easier, you could try a penetrant carefully around the screw head, but I think the removal would be the most effective.

Good Luck!
GWN7
Some times tapping on the screwdriver with a hammer is enough to loosen the threads of a stuck screw. The force breaks the bonds of the rust on the screw to the metal.

You might get some penatrating fluid such as PB Blaster or other brand name to run down the shaft of the screw and let it sit for a few days. WD40 is a protectant and lubricate but there are better penatrating fluids out there.
Toast
Try turning the screwdriver counter-clockwise.
HeloMech
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 13 2006, 01:22 PM) *

Try turning the screwdriver counter-clockwise.

hm, yeah, lemme try that...

slap.gif
So.Cal.914
Your rotten Toast......I like that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.