Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sears Point Oct. 28,29
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
drgchapman
Our local Porsche race shop has aquired a car transport and is making the rounds of West coast race tracks. They are providing pit crew, driving instruction, parts if needed. So I joined the trip to Sears Point this next month. I saw my first race there as a kid with my father, an "Indy car" race. This time my father will be there to see me go around, actually hoping to take him for a spin as well.

I really enjoyed Trekkor's video at sears Point of him passing every car on the track. I especially enjoyed the pass of the vette. I haven't seen the track for almost 30 years. Looks like mucho fun.

So, any of you Bay Area pukes gonna be there Oct. 28-29?

Hope to see some of you guys to play with..........
Trekkor
I'm not sure yet, as I'll be running it on the 6th.

I'll stop by and say hey, regardless.

KT
Brad Roberts
Gary,

Who is running that weekend? Did you hook up with Gamroth's transporter or the "Emory's"??

B
Trekkor
I think it's PRC's "Porsches at the Point" weekend.

KT
drgchapman
Yeah that's what Jeff called it, Porsches at the Point. Car is riding down with Gamroth's transporter. He will be adding brake cooling ducting to my car before we leave. Also trying to find a "4x4" rear spoiler to help the rear stay put a little better.
I'm really looking forward to the weekend.
drgchapman
I just finished installing and adjusting my new Smart Racing 27mm hollow front sway bar. Replaced the Weltmeister clanging and banging POS. New one is a tad bit bigger than the last one. I had to run full stiff at the Porsche Parade with the track-ish speeds we had. So I decided to replace with a better unit with more load range.

So, took it out for several test runs on my local twisty, at mid bar, turns in sweet with the 225# rears (prolly should buy wavey.gif JP another pair of "what ever he wants"). poke.gif Should be a pretty close setting for a/x. Run it up to 3/4 stiff, pushes at mod speeds, should be better at higher speed(?). I'll adjust and try different settings at Sears. Now I got to see about hooking up the rear bar, the drop links are so short, they tend to bind up and then destroy themselves. I've seen some rear bars through the trunk to gain space......

Removed the winsshield washer tank, finally.

Ordered my Hoosier's for the weekend. Got to be satisfied with the 205's, that all will fit under the stock fenders. I'm envious of Grantsfo, nice amount of rubber on the road.

Thinking about a Hans Device.......... idea.gif

Lookin' forward to the weekend in Oct. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
some #250s would be fine biggrin.gif
drgchapman
J P Stein Posted Sep 17 2006, 04:38 PM
some #250s would be fine

OK, what are the length and diameter? I have no idea, just that they were shorter and smaller diameter than the stock ones.

Sold the Weltmeister bar to the young Mills kid, cheap. It'll help.
J P Stein
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Sep 17 2006, 08:05 PM) *

J P Stein Posted Sep 17 2006, 04:38 PM
some #250s would be fine

OK, what are the length and diameter? I have no idea, just that they were shorter and smaller diameter than the stock ones.

Sold the Weltmeister bar to the young Mills kid, cheap. It'll help.

10 X 2.5 in.

IIRC they are the Colman Racing genric brand....$50 a pop.
drew365
Looking at the schedule, that's the weekend POC will be there with PRC. I may make it. I want to but I'm fighting three persistant problems with my car. One is an intermittant electrical short that's driving me nuts. I went to this event last year and really enjoyed it.
drgchapman
J P Stein Sep 17 2006, 04:38 PM Post #7

some #250s would be fine

On there way as of now from Coleman racing. Nice guys there, talked to Rory.
$55. and change each.

Thanks again for the "loaners". beerchug.gif
PBritain
this may be a dumb question, but are there any specific rules to go by or is it kind of a run what ya brung thing?
Brad Roberts
Gary,

flip the stock rear sway bar upside down and reinstall the links. This will give you the trunk clearance you need. Lowered cars with stock bars in stock config will dent the bottom of the tub unless you flip the bar over.

B
drgchapman
flip the stock rear sway bar upside down and reinstall the links. This will give you the trunk clearance you need. Lowered cars with stock bars in stock config will dent the bottom of the tub unless you flip the bar over.

B

Thanks for the input Brad. I however have an after market Weltmeister bar on the rear. Would your idea still work? I ask because to get to the sway bar, requires a total dismantle of the rear, with the WEVO shifter and exhuast in the way.

this may be a dumb question, but are there any specific rules to go by or is it kind of a run what ya brung thing?

Yes. I think so. Need a qualified helmet is all I know about. Trekkor likely knows the whole poop.
drgchapman
I've been watching Trekkor's video and the video of the Boxter at Infineon( thanks for the link Dan). popcorn[1].gif

Man that looks fast. Looks like big fun.

So, I'm a little scared, just purchased a Hans device for the trip. No basilar skull fractures for me. biggrin.gif

I gots bills and needs to work on Monday. cool.gif
Trekkor
When you take turn one in 5th, brake down up under the bridge, skip into 3rd and accelerate out of turn two...You will know BIG FUN!! drooley.gif

KT
drgchapman
Car went to Gamroth's today for new front brake cooling ducts, new Pagid brake pads, hooking up the retarded rear sway bar, and four new "R" Hoosiers. Looking forward to the Big weekend.

I've been watching the videos that are available............
What are the top speeds involved? Looks real fast. blink.gif

Anyone coming out to play? biggrin.gif
drew365
I damaged my car at Buttonwillow so I won't make this, but POC has arranged for a free tech talk by a Jim Russell instructor. You should ask about when and where it is at registration, I'm sure a few pointers couldn't hurt. PRC is having a BBQ with a band Saturday night. It was a blast last year, good food, music and free marguaritas.
Trekkor
What are the top speeds involved? Looks real fast.

You may hit 110 at the end of the main straight before you turn in and up the hill.

The long uphill to 7 is fast as well.

The biggie is the approach to turn 10. I apex at 97 and exit at 105. ohmy.gif

Please be careful...

KT
Eddie914
I wish I was going with you.

How much can I pay you to "Carnap" my rat rod to Sear Point (with me inside)?

I group from Puget Sound BMW club rented rented Laguna Seca a couple of years ago ... fabulous.

Best Regards,

Eddie
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 17 2006, 10:42 PM) *

What are the top speeds involved? Looks real fast.

You may hit 110 at the end of the main straight before you turn in and up the hill.

The long uphill to 7 is fast as well.

The biggie is the approach to turn 10. I apex at 97 and exit at 105. ohmy.gif

Please be careful...

KT

Yeah turn 10 takes guts. I think key with 10 is getting over to the left as far as possible prior to entering the turn without unsettling the car, braking smoothly and then getting on power right away and ignoring the wall that you drift towards.

And it takes some fortitude to stay on power through the corner out of start/finnish even in my 2.4. Would a 3.2 need to lift? I'm thinking a 3.2 would be doing 110+

914 has some advatages over other cars on some turns. Go deep in turn 6 most cars slow down way too soon. Same with turn 7 and turn 11

Be real careful with turn 2 and 3a when course is cool Both those corners can suprise you when you try to apply power.
Trekkor
I went out and rode along with Gary on his two morning sessions today.

He said it was OK for me to yell at him, so I did a lot!! biggrin.gif

I was timing from in the car with a stopwatch. His first session he was doing 2:10's

By the end of his second he got down to 2:01 ohmy.gif

I was *making* him do things he didn't realiaze the car/tires would support. ( based on his screaming )

We worked on line, braking zones, turn in and throttle modulation to the limit.

Nice driving!!

KT
Brad Roberts
Trek,

was this a third run group for Sears? I'm surprised they allowed a passenger.

B
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 29 2006, 04:09 PM) *

I went out and rode along with Gary on his two morning sessions today.

He said it was OK for me to yell at him, so I did a lot!! biggrin.gif

I was timing from in the car with a stopwatch. His first session he was doing 2:10's

By the end of his second he got down to 2:01 ohmy.gif

I was *making* him do things he didn't realiaze the car/tires would support. ( based on his screaming )

We worked on line, braking zones, turn in and throttle modulation to the limit.

Nice driving!!

KT

Trek you helped me bring times down to 2:01 range too! Bet that big six was a blast!
drgchapman
Wow, what a weekend at Sears Point!

Hung out with a bunch of 911 drivers with Gamroth's group. Big ass wings everywhere. My little red 914 was the oddball. Lots of folks coming over to look it over once they heard it run. "What you got in there?"

Saturday's sessions were purely a get comfortable with the car on the track day, get "comfortable" with the blind corners, and get used to running with other cars. NASA put on a good show. Car was a little loose in the back so we added some front bar, car balanced out nicely. Driver meetings after every session, then opening up the passing zones as the day went. I was learning how to strap the Hans device in, and how to breath while driving. Trekkor came by to say Hi Saturday night and bailed out a 914 driver with a broken gas tank.

Sunday was a completely different story......Trekkor came by first thing and rode with me for the first two sessions. Pure terror throught the carosel and through turn 10 for the first few laps. He was timing laps for me, times were dropping as we went. He managed to coach me down to 2:01's, felt great, once I got the hang of it. Sunday afternoon NASA opened the track for open passing, no restrictions. What a hoot! I began keeping up with a really fast local boxster for the first time. I was even passing several cars per session. By then the only cars passing me were the whoop ass, big wing 911's. My driving picked up several notches, Many thanks to Trekkor.

Every one in our group finished the weekend with cars in tact, in fact, I saw or heard of no incidents or contact all weekend.

I'm told Thunder Hill is the place to go next. See some of you there next year.....

Again, many thanks to Trekkor. beerchug.gif
Sorry no pics, couldn't find the little camera before I left.
Trekkor
Glad you had fun and kept it safe. Good driving.
Welcome to Sears mueba.gif

I also was impressed with the NASA group.

KT
DNHunt
Bet that's going to make the south pits seem kind of small. Glad you had fun and nothing broke

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.