Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator belt off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
the alternator belt on a 2.0 has popped off. not my car but a new guy who isn't as well versed in the type 4 engine as i am.(he just got it and has not made as many mistakes as i have, dr.evil you can stop laughing now) how can i help him?
Leo Imperial
I did this on your car 2 months ago dry.gif You were watching blink.gif
Rouser
Anybody out there know what section & page in the Haynes 914 Repair Manual this procedure is located in? Unfortunately, I don't have mine handy.
cooltimes
QUOTE(Rouser @ Sep 13 2006, 08:52 PM) *

Anybody out there know what section & page in the Haynes 914 Repair Manual this procedure is located in? Unfortunately, I don't have mine handy.

I don't have a Haynes.
Clymer manual has it on page 162
Autobooks Manual is on page 47.
The Autobook version is shortest. I can type it into a post reply if you need it.

MikeCool
So.Cal.914
From the back. There is a sheet metal plate that covers the alternator, on

the left at about 11:00 there is a ovel shaped hole(and plug) in the plate to access

one of the two bolts that holds it in place. That paticular bolt is the adjuster bolt

the other is at about 4:00. Loosten both a couple of turns slip on your belt,

I use a long breakerbar to gently pull the alt back to the left to tighten the slack

in the belt. Tighten the bolt(allen I believe) at 11:00 and then the other.
jk76.914
What year is it? Does it have AIR? If so, you're in for some fun. The pulley for the AIR pump is on a sort of a tripod affair that straddles the blower. It has to come off first. Looks easy- 3 M6 bolts- but once they're off, the thing is aligned with roll pins. Probably frozen fast! Oh yeah, and you can't even see the other pulley, the three bolts, muchless the rollpins.

Hopefully, he doesn't have a '75 or '76 so he won't have to deal with it...

Good luck!
Jim

PS- found this picture of a 912E. You can see the extra pulley and the three M6 bolts I was talking about..... Again, I hope you don't have to deal with this...
Click to view attachment
nycchef

Hopefully, he doesn't have a '75 or '76 so he won't have to deal with it...

thanks guys, don't think its a 75 or 76 will try to get my haynes out of my car and give it a try. p.s. leo, thanks i forgot about mine but now that you mention it... it was done from the bottom, on a lift, by walters mechanic, while WE watched. see you tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.