Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions/ideas: Getting into 1st gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
So, continuing to nail down remaining ankle-biter issues on my -6 conversion.

Symptom: The last inch of throw getting into 1st at a standstill is tough.

Description: About half the time, I need to reengage the clutch and/or shift into reverse before going down to 1st. When it does go in, there's a definite mechanical feel of a notchiness or increased effort for the last little bit. When shifting into first while still rolling, 1st engages every time. R- and 2nd - 5th are great.

Evaluation to date: Clutch adjustment is good, all the bushings (firewall, and the 2 at the tranny end) and the conical set screw are new in the last year. Adjusting the shifter (man I hate that) hasn't helped.

Thoughts? I'm thinking maybe 1st gear slider, but I'm tranny dumb, so I don't know and don't wanna drain the case and pull the tail cover off unnecessarily.
Bleyseng
Is the syncho new??

It does have a feel to it when it finally goes in on mine. All my parts are fairly new so at a standstill it has to spool up then it pops in.
wbergtho
If your clutch is adjusted well and you are "getting it all" and the shift linkage & bushings are good...you may have to check the first gear synchro and/or slider I would think. Try blipping the throttle just before trying to find first at a standstill. I have similar issues with my new trans. Hopefully you can find an adjustment somewhere to make it engage more effectively so you can avoid the dreaded trans drop. Good luck.
Dr Evil
Fluid level?

If it goes in better when you put it in Rev first, that would say to me that you may have an adjustment issue, perhaps. It sounds as if the slider is fighting to mate to the teeth. The thing is, if the slider were failing you would hear grinding and your report is missing grinding in it. Grinding = synchro band gone/going --> teeth and slider not playing nicely together.

If not adjustment (as you have already addressed this) then I would wonder if one of your brake bands inside the synchro band has migrated on top of the block and is causing your synchro band to have too large of a radius.

If all of hte externals check out, you are left with no other choice but to inspect the 1st gear assembly inside. Do it soon as most issues with 1st lead to a quick demise of the slider which is $500 (unless you get it from me).
Gary
No grinding getting into 1st - just that notchy feeling at the last little bit of flow with the car stopped.

Fluid level fine - actually drained the tranny and filled with Swepco (gooey blue stuff!) to see if it would help.

It's been many months this way - no better or worse, so I don't get the sense something catastrophic is happening in the box.
Dr Evil
Nope, not catastrophic from what you are saying. Some synchros are just stiffer than others and require more force. Was this allways the case with your gear box or did this just sudenly start one day?
Dr Evil
Oh ya, check to see if your shift rod is contacting anything inappropriately like the engine mount bar. It has happend to someone I knew inthe past.
Engman
I might add to check your motor mounts and transmission mounts. Mine were shot and I ran it that way initally. When I changed them to new motor and sport mounts my shifting had a nice improvement.

M
anthony
When shifting into first while still rolling, 1st engages every time.

I get the same thing. While rolling the last 5-10 feet to a stop it goes right in. Once stopped it may or may not go back in. At a stop, if I shift to 2nd or 3rd first and then go for 1st it goes right in. I assume this is a worn synchro?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Engman @ Sep 13 2006, 09:49 PM) *

I might add to check your motor mounts and transmission mounts. Mine were shot and I ran it that way initally. When I changed them to new motor and sport mounts my shifting had a nice improvement.

M

Way to be, Mark! biggrin.gif I forgot to mention that one. Believe it or not I have 3 people asking me the same quesiton off line today wacko.gif
Brian Mifsud
Gary,

Something I always have to play with on my 4 cylinder is the final position of engine/transaxle assembly. It can be shifted fore-n-aft by a good 3/8". If you are maxed out on the shift linkage adjustment, check that the engine/transxle assembly isn't biased in the unhelpful direction. I'm sure the type of mount you use for the six has a lot of influence on whether you have "slop" in the system. The "quick six" bars has as much slop as the 4 bangers since they are using the same mount. The true bulkhead mount, either factory, or Rich Johnson style is a much more precise mount. In any case, slacking the nuts and the strategic application of a pinch bar will do all the nudging you need.

Good luck...

BTW.. if you happen to ever get rear-ended.. you will also discover this availability of movement of the assembly... don't ask why I know this...
Michael J
This seems to be a common occurance. I ought a 2 liter and side shift setup and the PO said that a 1st gear hangup was the only problem with the trany. I decided to use my side shifter in the engine switch and replaced 1st and 2nd synchros while the parts were all out of the car. Even my trany with new 1st gear synchos hangs up going into first. I had a shop suggest that I switch to synthethic oil because it is slippier. This sounds like some "old wives tale".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.