Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody interested in laminate dash panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I own a business that manufactures furniture and I was thinking of making a dash plate out of laminate. The hard part is drawing the pattern in CAD. The easy part is loading the program into the CNC router and seeing the end product in a few minutes.

I buy a lot of laminate and there are some pretty cool patterns available. They has recently come out with woodgrains that have texture so it even feels like wood. The new HD patterns look 3D.

I was thinking about doing the work for my car, but if some other folks would like one too, that would help motivate me.

Let me know if this has already been done.
bd1308
wood grain pattern would be cool.

id go for one.

i thought about getting some teak wood from a vintage car and trimming it down for use in the 914. I thought a teak panel would be cool

this seems easier though
PanelBilly
Wood is a pain to finish and hard to keep looking nice. The laminate will last longer than you want it to, just look in most kitchens. I'm thinking the cost would be like $80, provided I'm using a 30x96 laminate. Some of the patterns are only sold in 48x96 and larger so that would be more like $105.
bd1308
WAIT!?

pm me some samples of your colors. I have a question about something i'm trying to work on.

Aaron Cox
hard part is indeed the cad file...

i ended up doing it by hand....
PanelBilly
Colors....check on line Wilsonart, Formica, Nevamar, Pionite or see them in person at your Home Depot/ Lowes in the kitchen remodeling department

Formica's new wood has the deep grain texture and Wilsonart's has a tiny "ticking" that looks like wood that was finished and the slight imperfections in the wood made little mars in the finish. Funny how slight engineered "flaws" can make something look more natural.

My favorite is the new Wilsonart that has bumpy finish. Its more of a marble pattern. Then again a few months ago I got to fly around the country in Wilsonart's new Lear jet. Standing right behind the two pilots while they fly thru a mountain pass was a kick.

Buy more Wilsonart, I want to take another trip
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 13 2006, 10:25 PM) *

I got a kid who gets paid to do this...I wouldn't try it myself. Too many curves.
736conver
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 14 2006, 12:41 AM) *

I got a kid who gets paid to do this...I wouldn't try it myself. Too many curves.

I have it in DWG. Also have it as a file for a CNC plasma cutter.
Bartlett 914
I like the idea. I hope you will post some pictures and prices.

Mark
jimkelly
I would think milling bumper tops from corian or similar softish solid plastic like materiial would be good for someone with a cnc machine.
VaccaRabite
If yo are doing dash panels, you should consider inside door panels as well.

Okay, I am considering inside wood door panels and dash. I was just going to cut them myself, but if there is a CNC cut product...

Zach
Moneypit
Aluminum steel or chrome would be awesome. i know wilsons has the stuff. id definately buy a brushed aluminum dash panel.
East coaster
I did a brushed stainless laminate. I think it makes sense. Laminates are light, strong, easy to keep clean and won't scratch as esily as alum or SS. (and don't get finger prints, like SS)

I cut mine freeform with a roto-zip

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
toon1
hijacked.gif sorry for the hijack. Are those 6" speakers mounted in the stock speaker panels??
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 14 2006, 12:16 PM) *

hijacked.gif sorry for the hijack. Are those 6" speakers mounted in the stock speaker panels??

Morph speaker panels as seen on ebay
914nerd
I would definitely go for a dash panel and door panels if someone started making them
so, you should definitely do it
it sounds like you would have a fair market around here
biggrin.gif
toon1
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 14 2006, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 14 2006, 12:16 PM) *

Morph speaker panels as seen on ebay

thanks Aaron, sorry for the hijack
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Moneypit @ Sep 14 2006, 09:25 AM) *

Aluminum steel or chrome would be awesome. i know wilsons has the stuff. id definately buy a brushed aluminum dash panel.

Me too. I've spent a fair amount of time looking for this very thing. I found "real" brushed aluminum at 9xauto.com. I know nothing about them though, and was somewhat disuaded by the feel of their website.

I'd be all for supporting someone from the Club making these, though, especially at ~$80 price point...

7TPorsh
QUOTE(736conver @ Sep 14 2006, 12:10 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 14 2006, 12:41 AM) *

I have it in DWG. Also have it as a file for a CNC plasma cutter.

I was hoping 736conver would start doing those aluminum panels again.

This laminate idea sounds good too! clap56.gif
736conver

I was hoping 736conver would start doing those aluminum panels again.

Time is becoming really short for me lately. I have all the stock just need to find the time to cut them.
Allan
I would be interested.

I would also like to see center console panels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.