Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plotting Advance Curves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
So I'm thinking aloud here....

You grab a motor and spin it without load and measure its rpms. you're also able to measure the current draw on that motor at any point.

Now take a dizzy and attach it to that motor.

you already have the unloaded values for the motor, and if the motor is weak enough, the dizzy might have enough torque to show up on the motor as increased current usage to turn motor at same speed.

OK, now there is a point where the centrifugal advance doesnt kick in, and those values are listed on the PP forum.

By plotting RPM vs. current reqd to turn dizzy at RPM, one should be able to plot the advance curve of the dizzy, correct?

b
bondo
No. smile.gif

You need an oscilloscope.
bd1308
oscilloscope measuring what?
eric914
I don't have a distributor in front of me to confirm this but I think if you can plot plug 1 against one of the fuel injector contacts you should be able to see the advance. I think the fuel injector contacts are fixed to the input shaft so you can use one of them as a reference signal. Plug one will then vary in relation to it as RPM changes. You could also activate the vacuum advance to see how it responds.
bd1308
I have teh L-jet versions of these, so I dont have that reference to map against.

maybe i could design 'points' that are fixed to the motor shaft, and then measuring delta x, where x is the two point sets in my test
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.