Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Any here own a Honda Element?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Looking at these as a new rainy day car to replace the Jetta. Anyone have one?
MattR
get another 914

drunk.gif
VegasRacer
They are Butt-Ugly. barf.gif

Get another Jetta. smilie_flagge6.gif
pfierb
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 14 2006, 01:11 AM) *

Looking at these as a new rainy day car to replace the Jetta. Anyone have one?

I have been looking too, they are so ugly they are cute. they will hold tons of junk and you don't have to worry about getting it dirty.......Everyone I know that owns one loves them.
VaccaRabite
I nearly bought one before I bought my Subaru in 2004. I love the idea of the Element, I even like the looks. It seemed to be a perfect fit into my life style.

But, man, did I hate the test drive. It has huge blind spots. For its size, it feels grossly underpowered. The one that I test drove did have excellent brakes. But turning it felt like turning a bus.

I was getting rid of a VW Golf. If you are like me, you are not going to like how the Element drives.

I bought a Subaru Outback Sport (same body as the WRX wagon, no turbo, 28 mpg, lifted off the ground more like a full sized outback.) It has about the same power as the Element, but feels like it gets out of its own way much easier. Its also much more nimble. Its also fairly good off road.

Zach
ptravnic
They look like toaster ovens with wheels... Why not go down stream and get a scion - then you can "Fast and Furious" it up... chairfall.gif

The new Toyota FJ Cruisers have my attention though... Me likey!!
ClayPerrine
A couple of our friends have an Element.....

We dubbed it the "Ugliment".

Leo Imperial
Friends had one and hated it. The had problems getting the kids out when in a parking spot due to the door arrangement.

I like the ugly box. I think they would look great with a set of BFG AllTerrains.
Then again I dive a VW bus with off road tires and have cookie cutters on my 914, so what do I know.
SGB
My wife has one. It is a box on wheels. It is really perfect for her "car is an appliance" approach. I don't like to drive it, but it is easy to get stuff in and out, and there is a TON of rear legroom. There are only seats for four, no matter what. The seats fold up against the side window, leaving a flat floor that would be great for camping. It is strongly effected by cross-winds (and head-winds). There are some pretty complex seams and seals due to the clam-shell doors. I think as the rubber dries out it may get loose or leaky. In some ways I like the total utilitarianism of the design, but by the same token, it somehow reminds me of the old VW bus. It is not a very refined auto (except the engine- which is only a 1.8l vtec- about 155 hp Ithink) compared to some offerings out there - but it is cheap too.
Flat VW
My father-in-law has had two, he really likes them. thumb3d.gif

The first one he 'high-centered' on a traffic calming island while reaching for a fallen, ringing, cellphone. ohmy.gif

He trashed the bottom of it throughly. It had only a few thousand miles on it at the time. sad.gif

He liked it so well that he traded it in on ANOTHER! wacko.gif

Watch out for a blue/silver one with road rash underneath....

John wavey.gif

P.S. Do not tell him that I told ya....... w00t.gif
drewvw

I've owned one for about 9 months now. In order to get the 914 I had to trade in the S2000 and that's what we ended up with. Its the little lady's car.

That said we LOVE it. So versatile, great for roadtrips, environmentally decent, and its a honda so the build quality is great.

I would definitely recommend one. Bang for the buck is very good burnout.gif
Dr Evil
Rubbermade av-943.gif

I like the concept of not having to worry about door dings, and since the Aztek is still around the element is not the ugliest car in the world, but if it is underpowered and unresponsive it is not worth it.

Get a Saturn Vue
KaptKaos
My biggest concern is that I have 3 kids and the Element seems to be a 4 seater only. No way to add a third belt in the back, so I am thinking that I will not be looking for an Element. Although I think I would enjoy the car.

Thanks for the input!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 14 2006, 11:04 AM) *

My biggest concern is that I have 3 kids and the Element seems to be a 4 seater only.

This is not the vehicle for you. Unless, that is, you don't mind leaving one of the kid or the wife at home during family outings. bootyshake.gif

Zach
1970 Neun vierzehn
Joe,
You're right, the Element is a 4 seater. I've got one and it's nice to have a utility vehicle available when the other two cars are a 914 and a GTi. Wifey and I can put our bikes inside, we can transport small animals with or w/o carriers, garden and building materials can be easily and securely carried, and small pieces of antique furniture are also transported safely, without worrying about the weather. The shape is an acquired taste, somewhat akin to a 914. After realizing the utility and usefulness of this car, it kinda grows on you. At an actual observed 26.5 mpg on the hwy and 22-23 in the city, the fuel economy surpasses many, if not most less useful (for me) SUVs and P/Us. Honda build quality, engineering design and reliability are also big pluses. My other choice was a Jetta wagon, which of course would have better handling characteristics/dynamics, but wouldn't have the "big box" cargo volume/dimensions of the Element. As I had indicated at the outset, having the 914 and a GTi in the fleet allow for the required fun/handling factor we all need to keep us happy.
Brett W
The power issue can be fixed. It used a 2.0 or 2.4 engine and you can swap parts with all of the RSX/TSX cars, plus there is a booming aftermarket for the engines. There will soon be a bigger aftermarket for teh CRV and ELEMENTs because of the minivan craze in Japan right now.
cnavarro
I had an LX '04 Element and it was gutless with the A/C on. Had it not been an automatic, it might have been liveable. The AWD wasn't too bad - I from time to time was very glad it was there (deep snow @ 55 on cell phone - I know, bad idea). Fuel economy was horrible as well. Lots of complaints from those who had to get into the back seat too. Held it's value very well. Turned it in 9 months later and I got $17,100 for it (I only paid $18,000, as it was a demo). With gas prices, I was considering a fit, but got an aveo on the cheap and even it is faster than the Element (with the A/C off).
pete-stevers
i love the element ....but they have very little towing capacity....
but i think the idea is fantastic...plus it is a honda....
if it had two capcity i would be driving one....as a daily
JPB
To keep my answers as useless as possible, just staying in my past trend, I would say, if the thing can't pull a boat, why the hell have it!!!

beer.gif Ya 914 for cruising and the other for tha boats and crew!!!
racerx9146
We bought one for the wife last year. I got tired of patching up the 95 Audi Quattro Wagon. Was cutting into my 914 wrenching time.

PRO's
Great Value, 19K loaded, 1.0% financing
huge cargo area with seats out or folded up!
seats fold down FLAT for naps!
Tons of headroom, most i have ever seen
confortable fun to drive in the VW bus sense
reliable, ok mileage, about 25 or so
Good AC
Easy to clean, all plastic interior, wax, maintain
good stereo and subwoofer
easy to load kids, you can put your knee down while you buckle em in, saves the back!
its a good design!

CON's
Doors can be a pain in some situations
4 seater only!!
kinda slow sometimes, but its not supposed be a race car!
it is ugly! but in a cute way, like a french bulldog!

Overall we are very happy with our purchase, I wanted a WRX wagon but 30K is kinda hard to chew sometimes....

BTW there is supposed to be a "sport edition" next year smile.gif

John
Aaron Cox
Scion XB

love the toasters. 35mpg.. and lots of room
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.