Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good Beer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Spaten Oktoberfest beer is good. The pub I frequent has it on draft, and it tastes good. But, they kept selling out, so when I came across a case at Cosco, I grabbed it. IPB Image
Not as tasty out of the bottle, but close. I have "aged" the brew in my dank, cool basement for about one month, and the flavor has mellowed out to a nice smooth flavor with a touch of fruit. If you drink it right away, you might notice a skunky taste, so I am glad my "aging" process helped mellow it out. beer3.gif
Mark Henry
Me Canadian, me like beer! beer3.gif

Beer, beer-beer

Bottle of beer, beer-beer...

Up here in Ontario Canada we buy our beer at "The Beer Store.

Marketing geniuses, they also came up with the catchy slogan "The Beer Store...where the beers are."
Bunch of dickheads, but I digress...

You go in and they have a wall of beer, at least a couple of hundred brands. Then you order a box of 6, 12, 24 (pronounced two-four) or now 28 bottles or cans.
We also have Bubba (can of draft about 12 bottles worth) and quarts etc.
beer.gif

I like most beer and keep changing brands but lately I've been drinking Carling Black Ice, 6.1 % alc./vol. which is 12.2 proof, our strongest beer is Maxamum Ice at 7.1% alc./vol. which is 14.2 proof. Regular beer is 5% alc./vol. which is 10 proof.

That's why when Canadians drink a box of US beer all it does is give us the urge to take a large piss. LOL
pissoff.gif

beerchug.gif
dryheat914
Spaten makes a variety of good beers, the Hef, is awesome.

Try Paulaner also

Chris
rhodyguy
does that beer come with surgical tape for your toes?

kevin
"no beer, no broken toes"
morgan
chowtime.gif BEER IS FOOD
JM
tdgray
agree.gif Beer defintely is Food !

I have recently started brewing my own beer. Not the stupid kit way but really brewing it. It is alot of fun and now on my fourth batch it is getting really good. If anyone loved beer like I love beer you should try this

BEER wub.gif

Also this is a great way to get a better quality of beer than the watered down piss that passes for beer in America !

Todd
Bruce Allert
BEER is no longer a breakfast drink laugh.gif
bruce beerchug.gif
drew365
BEER is no longer a breakfast drink

My take: Beer is no longer just a breakfast drink. beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(morgan @ Oct 28 2003, 05:51 AM)
chowtime.gif BEER IS FOOD

chowtime.gif SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE !!!
dryheat914
Todd,
I would love to try your beer.....
I'm from Akron but live in az. Could you ship me a bottle?

Chris
sharper
Brewing your own beer is great. I was turning out a batch a week a couple of years ago but haven't brewed any in a while. It is real simple to do and you can create beers you just can't buy. I don't use the kits either. A good recipe turns out a much better beer.
tdgray
Sure,

Next Batch is about 3 - 4 weeks away. Should be about 60 bottles I'll let ya know.

Todd
Hawktel
Don't come to Utah for beer. They can't sell it if its over 3.5%. You think normal US beer is weak, try the stuff they try to force on us.

bah!

I don't drink much beer anymore. To many years working in bars.

beer.gif
boxstr
Samuel Adams, net profits up 10% the best kind of beer.
CCLINSELLSHORT
fiid
My favorite brews are:

Chimay (Blue (9%) or Red (7%)
Kwak (Don't know what % but gets you pissed fast)

and then Full Sail Amber which is about 6%.

Speaking of which - are we interested in an evening trip to Toronado in San Francisco one night? Many beers and yummy hot-dogs from the sausage place next door??

Fiid.
ChrisReale
I like the Chimay Red and White. The blue is abit strong for me unsure.gif Kwak is good too, especially when You get it served in the traditional Enormous Chemist looking glass with holder.

I'll let you know whats up. Im not sure where we are staying, but I am sure my girlfriend would want to go out one of the nights.
scottb
i have 10 gallons of pale ale fermenting in the basement!!!! beer.gif

that should keep me in suds for a while. beer3.gif

brewing is really easy and you can make very good beer. if you can boil water, you can brew beer.....
fiid
Toronado has the chemistry set glasses for Kwak. It's all part of the experience.

Actually last time I was at Toronado (about a week ago) there was a 914 parked outside when I was walking in! It must be a sign! boldblue.gif

Amnesia (in the Mission) has Kwak (heresay) but serves it in pint glasses. Wusses.

beer.gif beerchug.gif
mightyohm
Stone Brewing Company, San Marcos, CA

Microbrew with some pretty strong and aggressive beers. They will really kick you in the pants. You can find it all over SoCal and occasionally elsewhere.

Their IPA is the hoppiest beer I have ever tasted. And their Arrogant Bastard Ale is definitely worth a try too.
GWN7
The strongest beer we had here was called "Manitoba 200" brewed for the Provinces 200th birthday. It was 13.5%

Old Stock used to be 12%

When I drink beer it's usually "Standard". Label looks like Bud and was the reason Bud wasn't sold up here for years.
fiid
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Oct 28 2003, 07:58 PM)
Stone Brewing Company, San Marcos, CA

Microbrew with some pretty strong and aggressive beers. They will really kick you in the pants. You can find it all over SoCal and occasionally elsewhere.

Their IPA is the hoppiest beer I have ever tasted. And their Arrogant Bastard Ale is definitely worth a try too.

Arrogant Bastard is pretty good - tried that one - had to on the basis of the name alone.

Fiid.
campbellcj
The Spaten Optimator is good stuff too, if you like the darker varieties. beer.gif
Eddie Williams
any thing that ends in -ator, is evil!

hmm... lot's of homebrewers.. me too.
ChrisReale
I got one of those "Home Brewing for Dummies" books, maybe I'll get started....... beer3.gif
thesey914
Do you guys ever get any of this over there? Since I moved from London to the Westcountry (Somerset, Devon and Cornwall) I can't get enough of this stuff
Bleyseng
Had some Palm bier today at lunch, quiet good in a Brown Cafe in the Jordan area of Amsterdam.

First day I havent had Patat!!! Yikes I am addicted!!! They are Lekker!!
Geoff
fiid
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Oct 29 2003, 02:24 AM)
Do you guys ever get any of this over there? Since I moved from London to the Westcountry (Somerset, Devon and Cornwall) I can't get enough of this stuff

Nope - none of that over here. There are a couple of microbrew ciders from up north - Oregon and Washington state are a soure of most of the good local brews. There are some good microbrewerys in New York too.

Cider f**ks you up though :-). One or two bad memories from parties when I lived in the Forest of Dean.
Bleyseng
People here buy me bier thinking I have never tasted good beer. I tell them all about the microbrews in Seattle which so far are good as anything I have tasted here in Holland. I try to get whatevers on tap when we are out, I even had a Turkish beer last night that was very good.

Geoff
thesey914
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 29 2003, 07:51 AM)

Cider f**ks you up though :-)

agree.gif Amen Fiid laugh.gif

Forest of Dean? Anywhere near Lydney?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.