Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting the Firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
Well we are underway with the install of the 3 rotor into the 914. The bare block is about 26 inches long - almost identical to the LS1 block that is in my friends garage. He is concerned about access to the belts and with the overall length of the assembly and suggested cutting an access panel in the firewall. He said it's either that or move the transmission back an inch which would put the alignment of the drive axles out of perfect alignment.

So what do you guys do? What did the guys with V8's do? Any advice?

So.Cal.914
I've seen "6" guys use an access panel in the firewall, I think that is your best bet.

otherwise your CV's will not just be on one bind but two.
Mueller
moving the transmission BACK up to 1.5 inches has been common practice for YEARS smile.gif

McMark
Move the tranny back. WAY EASIER and doesn't hack up another car.
soloracer
So when you move the transmission back did you have to reweld/relocate the mounting points?
GWN7
The V8 trany mounts are offset...sorry pics are on the other puters HD
soloracer
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Sep 14 2006, 06:36 AM) *

So am if I understand correctly you are saying that there are custom V8 tranny mounts that are offset from the factory ones? Damn, I just ordered a set of Wevo mounts for this conversion too.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(soloracer @ Sep 14 2006, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Sep 14 2006, 06:36 AM) *

So am if I understand correctly you are saying that there are custom V8 tranny mounts that are offset from the factory ones? Damn, I just ordered a set of Wevo mounts for this conversion too.

Send them back...
nick mironov
You will still need transmission mounts along with the transmission offset bracket. I Used WEVO mounts and a transmission offset bracket (by Renegade) in my V8 convresion. The Renegade transmission offset bracket provides for 1-1/2" offset to the rear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.