Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Bay Stripping Progress...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
I have been spending all my time in the evening between the time I get home from work and before everyone starts yelling at me for being too loud stripping the engine bay and underside of the car of all the nasty, dirty, gross undercoating. This is the progress that I have made...it is beginning to look really nice. The engine bay is pretty much completed and I am beginning to tackle the underside around where the tranny mounts. I am thinking about painting the engine bay red to match car and the underside and fenders with glossy black (Por-15 or something). Then I will powdercoat all the suspension in red...should look nice.

What I started with...
IPB Image

How it looks now...
IPB Image

IPB Image

Hey, even a 911/912 has a little rust...look in the top corners...
IPB Image
ChrisReale
Looks great. I just finished mine, but I started to get lazy towards the end. I could have done a better job, but it will do for now. What did you use to clean up the firewall?
Britain Smith
A hand grinder and a coarse wire brush...it is the same thing that I used to remove all the seam-sealer from the 914/6 "blackie" (the one Brad is building) before it went to get acid dipped.

I want to get the entire rear end of the car stripped down before I put the new motor in.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
Before you paint it or do any more prep... we need to weld in the gussets for the shock towers. I think SmartCamber sells them. Just in case we want to go to coil overs later weld them in now before the paint goes on.

Oh.. it appears you now own a hand grinder. I wont want that one back when your done.

B
Jeroen
Looking good!
Have a cold one on a job well done beer.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
rhodyguy
it's really going to be beautiful wnen you're done. i vote color match.

kevin
maf914
Looking good.

Why, in the before photo, is the fire wall yellow/beige and brown? Is that primer and old glue? Also, what is the rectangular metal bracket with the four holes? I'm not too familiar with 911's and am just curious. Thanks.

Mike
mr914
That is the funniest 914 that I have ever seen. laugh.gif

Good job on stripping, I know how much work it takes and that undercoating is a bear.

How do you plan on getting the final little corners cleaned? a dremel?

Does anyone know if Por15 will attach itself to the factory undercoating?
Jeroen
color suggestion...
powdercoat the suspension parts silver or dark grey metalic.
This will contrast nicely with the black/red paint of the car and wheelwells

cheers,

Jeroen
Charles Deutsch
Good job but while you're in there you should modify the firewall and move the motor forward a little to improve handling. j/k laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
He posts here because the 912 guy's are boring. laugh.gif

B
Scott Carlberg
Has Britain ever considered putting the Engine that he's building for this 912, into a
914 instead?
redshift
Now that you've practiced on a 914, and a 912, it's time to do your own 914, I agree.

Thank God for edits.

Ediot
Britain Smith
The tan/brown crap is the remainder of the glue that held in the engine sound insulation pad that I ripped out because it was nasty. The small square with the holes are for the wiring harness plugs that seperate the engine bay from the rest of the car's wiring harness. I think they did this because of the many different engines that went in these cars. I know that the wiring needed for my 912 motor was different than that used in for the 911 motors.

914 are good cars, I just don't have one. I have put a lot of time and effort in this car and it is almost where I want it to be. And, yes...Brad is right on with his comments on the 912 board. They use the old style bullentin board that is a series of reply's listed after the original topic...it is a pain in the ass to scroll through and read. There server is also very slow. To make matters worse, they look down on creativity and changing your car from anything but stock...boring!!

Now this is what I am talking about...

IPB Image
ChrisReale
Nice shroud. How is the cooling on it?
madd_dogg_914
That is avery nice looking shroud indeed.

-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.