Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tool Kit Wrench Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
KenH
1970 914-6 Tool Kit

My tool kit has 2 types of open-end wrenches in it.

"Drop Forged Steel" & "Selected Special Steel"

Which type is correct or are they interchangable?

Ken
Pat Garvey
Ken.

Might help if we knew the dimensions of the wrench(es) in question. Pic would be good too.
Pat
sixerdon
"Dropped Forged Steel" would be the correct name on all 5 open end wrenches of a six tool kit.

Don
KenH
Thanks Don,

My kit is not complete. But both types of open end wrenches were there, so this info will help.

Pat - just the standard wrenchs, but want to get the "right" ones.

Ken
914runnow
Alright hope this helps you out...This is out of a late 71 original
6 914......
914runnow
QUOTE(KenH @ Sep 14 2006, 07:48 AM) *

1970 914-6 Tool Kit

Ken

Sorry had to Reeeeeeeeallllllly shrink em....
sooooo try it again!!
sixerdon
I've never seen a "six" tool kit looking like that. Tom Bliznik posted the 1st thread on this forum showing what a "six" tool kit has. (Bottom of page 3) Where's the 17/19mm box spanner? 914runnow, are you the original owner of this kit? If indeed you are, then you have a very rare kit. Not like the ones I've seen before and certainly not like my 3 complete kits.

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 17 2006, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(KenH @ Sep 14 2006, 07:48 AM) *

1970 914-6 Tool Kit

Ken

Sorry had to Reeeeeeeeallllllly shrink em....
sooooo try it again!!

Amazing (other then the tow hook) how many of the same pieces are in my 73T kit!
914runnow
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 18 2006, 04:09 PM) *

I've never seen a "six" tool kit looking like that. Tom Bliznik posted the 1st thread on this forum showing what a "six" tool kit has. (Bottom of page 3) Where's the 17/19mm box spanner? 914runnow, are you the original owner of this kit? If indeed you are, then you have a very rare kit. Not like the ones I've seen before and certainly not like my 3 complete kits.

Don

No this is not mine..... Could be for 3o$g or so and I would get the free
914/6 with it!!!
The car is a 'late very original ' 71 6...that was a friend of mine who passed away
back in July from pancreatic cancer..If anyone has interest in it Lemmeno..
BUT the kit is the real deal...
The car rec'd prior, just paint and carpet...ITZ a REALLY nice car..
He had the engine rebuilt by Motormeister to 2.2 ...and the tranny changed to side
shift...has the 14inch Fuchs on it ..looks awesome!!
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

I thought 914-6 tool kits always came with a "Red" screwdriver handle. Can anyone confirm????

Tom
sixerdon
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Sep 20 2006, 12:02 PM) *

Hi Guys,

I thought 914-6 tool kits always came with a "Red" screwdriver handle. Can anyone confirm????

Tom

Yes, all three of my kits have red screwdrivers. I've done some additional research on kits from the 911's of the era. None match up to this one. Missing is the 19 x 22 box wrench part of all 911 kits and the "six" kit. To me, this kit has been tampered with, but it seems the owner is unfortunatly deceased and can't explain the missing tools. I have a friend who is an original owner of a '71 six that is a past PCA division winner. I'll see if I can contact them this weekend.

Don
sixerdon
As a followup to this tool kit question, my friends '71 "six" kit has red screwdrivers and the "19 x 22" box wrench. The kit as shown by Tom Bliznik's photo in an earlier thread should stand as correct for 914-6's.
Also, just to mention that my '79 911 SC tool kit has a yellow screwdriver, no "19 x 22" box wrench and all the open end wrenches are still marked "dropped forged steel".

Don
gms
drunk.gif
gms
tools
gms
drunk.gif
gms
drunk.gif
gms
drunk.gif
TJB/914
GMS, Good looking set of tools.

I was wondering if some Heyco (German) tools I have are any good. I have a number of them & wondered what model they fit?? Here are a few pictures from my files. I can take more detailed pictures if necessary.

Tom
sixerdon
I have never seen Heyco tools with any early Porsche. They don't look at all familiar and I have seen just about all the 356/912/911 tools out there.
What do you know about them?

Don
gms
drunk.gif
TJB/914
Glen,

Yes, I am thinking BMW tools (or maybe Mercedes)?? Been looking at the 2007 BMW 3-series 335i Cpe. for the wife & may be a good reason to buy her one. Have the tools. Her 16-year old (mint Lo-milage Merc XR-7 supercharged) car is getting old & she is ready for a new one. I do my best selling job on her when she needs a new car. I'll let her pick the color.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Nov 7 2006, 10:32 PM) *

Glen,

Yes, I am thinking BMW tools (or maybe Mercedes)?? Been looking at the 2007 BMW 3-series 335i Cpe. for the wife & may be a good reason to buy her one. Have the tools. Her 16-year old (mint Lo-milage Merc XR-7 supercharged) car is getting old & she is ready for a new one. I do my best selling job on her when she needs a new car. I'll let her pick the color.

Tom

Oh Tom, you are so, so...can't use the term, but it could be confused with "manipulative". Buy HER a BMW because you have extra tools? Good one! From a T-Bird to a BMW? Could work....but she may think it's harsh in the ride. Don't blame you for tryingm though.

My wife is due for her new car in Feb. She's old-school PCA stuff - no 5/6 speed - no deal! Doesn't like BMW's & loves Audi's. I'd choose something else, but know better than trying to change her. She had a Tip VW for a day & said no deal - full manual only! Must be from her old auto-x days ( & I mean "old").

Can't fool here either - she knows her stuff. Also knows she's not getting a Cayman (2 years from now that may change - my turn).

Can't fool her with tools either. It's about driving to her - she still has never figured out that brakes slow a car for cornering - "that's what the transmission is for"!

God help me!

rudedude
GMS,
Very nice set of tools.
my kit looks exactly like yours except i am missing the 10/11 open end wrench.I would love to have one. If any one knows of one available please let me know.
thanks, jule
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.