Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Vertical Targa Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Now that I have started on the paint I can't figure out how to remove the vertical targa seals and channels without tearing up the metal channel.

Any BTDT advise is appreciated.
blitZ
You have to carefully slide the rubber seal out first, then you will see screws to remove the metal seal holder.
RogerYellow914
I recently replaced my vertical seals. The metal trim has a few places that were cut and bent in a way to hold the seals in. You will have to carefully bend this back or you will rip the old seals to shreds (not a big deal if your replacing them). The new seals won't go on unless you bend these bits back out of the way.

-Roger
John
While I do slide them back into place, I simply pull the seals out of the channels. I get the top started and they pull rather easily out of the channels. Much quicker than trying to slide them out.

To reinstall all rubber seals, I use temporary rubber lubricant it makes the job so much easier/quicker and it is safe to use on rubber.

P-80 Rubber Lubricant

You may be able to get a free sample bottle from them. It works amazingly well. If you ever fought putting the rubber seals back in, you will not believe this stuff.

Good luck to you.
andys
To lubricate rubber without harming it, use KY jelly. Used it for years (on rubber parts, er I mean....Oh forget it!!). Works great.

Andys
John
To lubricate rubber without harming it, use KY jelly. Used it for years (on rubber parts, er I mean....Oh forget it!!). Works great.

KY will actually deteriorate the rubber and make it more brittle with age. It does not evaproate quickly and contains petroleum distillates.
andys
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Sep 14 2006, 12:41 PM) *

KY will actually deteriorate the rubber and make it more brittle with age. It does not evaproate quickly and contains petroleum distillates.

Do you have evidence of this? Perhaps you're confusing it with Vaseline? After all, KY is a completely water soluble product intended to be used you-know-where, unlike the Vaseline type product.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.