Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need a lesson on 914 construction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
How it the car constructed back here. I recognize the joits between the engine shelf, inner wheel well, upper firewall and the top of the long. But, how much metal is on top of the long? Mine is very pitted but I can't make any holes. Should I just leave it and treat it or cut and replace?

Thanks for the help.

Dave
2-OH!
I have the same problem, only I can poke holes in the very corner...

I did not want to do body work right now but I don't want it to get any worse...Next time the news will be catastrophic...

I am going to weld in new panels...I'm in Sumner, WA, maybe we can get a package deal at the local welding shop...

Anyone, please forward names of sheet metal fabricators for replacement body pieces...

2-OH!
DNHunt
2-OH

I have a welder and plan to do it myself. Buying metal to practice on and a lot grinding stuff.

Come on over if you want I'll try to keep ya posted

Dave
dryheat914
Bill Frey at Restoration Design will have all the parts you need to complete your repairs

retoration design
DNHunt
Actually, I have their inner wheel wel and engine shelf. I hope to bend up the rest.

thanks

Dave
Brad Roberts
Knock down the rust and leave it alone. The frame rail is 3 layers thick right there. You have surface rust on the top layer. If you could poke thru.. then I would peel it back and replace it. The only time I get really worried... is when there has been a hole for awhile (meaning that the frame rail *below* this will have crap sitting on it and will rust thru from the top down. Not good.

B
DNHunt
Thanks Brad.

I'll clean it up and invest in some Por-15.

Dave
Bleyseng
As you clean it up with grinding you will find out if its good enough to leave alone. If its rusted out you will find out quick enough as is paper thin or worse. If its good enough to clean up, leave it. I don't like leaving it rusty as just coating over it as rust, once it starts, always comes back.

GEoff
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(dryheat914 @ Oct 28 2003, 10:32 AM)
Bill Frey at Restoration Design will have all the parts you need to complete your repairs

retoration design

DAMN! I'm giving my business to them when it comes time for my welding project! The "Installation Slide Show" of the real innards for the metal is great!! Not just snapshots but well thought out photographs. Im-pres-sive smilie_pokal.gif
nomore4
I ordered a few things from Bill at RD this month. Very courteous to talk to, had everything in stock, ordered on Fri. got parts on Mon. smilie_pokal.gif

joe
East coaster
How's your junk comin' along JB?? Any new pics?? I'm starting to get 914 wood again. I did a little wrenchin' on the '74 and now I got the bug again! Silver car is gonna need jack post work from never cleaning behind rockers. Just ordered parts from RD also.
Brad Roberts
The next person who orders from Bill ... please let him know that the 914club supports him 100%.

He supports a lot of Porsche racing.

B
nomore4
Yo Chief wavey.gif My junk is finally stiff again laugh.gif I'm finishing up the right side. Still need to do the engine shelf and trunk brackets. What's the silver car looking like and what are you planing?? And many thanks for the hunk of stripper, FISH ON chowtime.gif

joe b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.