Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This weeks 4th Dimension radio is ready for download!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
And this weeks product of the week comes from Hoffman Automotive Machine... Anyone needing heads rebuilt has to listen and better act swiftly!!

Last week we offered engine kits for 20% off and a few people drug their feet and lost a great deal with up to 1000 bucks off the cost of a 2270 kit!!It pays to listen and to do so early!

This weeks show goes over how to get up to 125HP for under 2K bucks!

www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2006, 05:47 AM) *

And this weeks product of the week comes from Hoffman Automotive Machine... Anyone needing heads rebuilt has to listen and better act swiftly!!

Last week we offered engine kits for 20% off and a few people drug their feet and lost a great deal with up to 1000 bucks off the cost of a 2270 kit!!It pays to listen and to do so early!

This weeks show goes over how to get up to 125HP for under 2K bucks!

www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio

Good show. Interesting to hear Jake talk about creating 125 HP on a budget. Where you can cut corners and where you should spend bucks.
blitZ
Jake, you and Len are killing me with these deals. Wish my engine waited a few months to crap out.

Oh well...
anthony
Jake, I think I've learned more about type IV internals listening to the 4 radio shows than I've learned in five years of reading Rennlist, 914club, Pelican, and STF.

Len will definitely be getting a couple sets of heads for those budget engines we spoke about.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 15 2006, 09:55 AM) *

Jake, I think I've learned more about type IV internals listening to the 4 radio shows than I've learned in five years of reading Rennlist, 914club, Pelican, and STF.

Thats the whole goal of the show...

Last week 220,000 people listened to the show, or at least downloaded it! It's soon to be on I tunes top 10 list!!!
Bleyseng
Yep, good show as I listen this morning at 4AM. Couldn't sleep... sad.gif
turboman808
Just a suggestion...

Is there any way they can either compress the sound a little bit or just lower the host voice. I have to run it thru sound forge to make it listenable. Every time the host voice comes in it's like an explosion.

Also maybe get him a pop filter. He keeps laughing into the mic and it's clicking and popin'
Jake Raby
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 15 2006, 01:16 PM) *

Just a suggestion...

Is there any way they can either compress the sound a little bit or just lower the host voice. I have to run it thru sound forge to make it listenable. Every time the host voice comes in it's like an explosion.

Also maybe get him a pop filter. He keeps laughing into the mic and it's clicking and popin'

We are still fighting some technical difficulties.. Each show gets better..
Chris Pincetich
Hopefully the next radio show will have an "engineer" that can level the 2-3 channels to attain proper output volume levels between the sources. I just listened and the announcer is 4x louder than Jake or Len, and who cares what he has to say? biggrin.gif

So Jake says 1.8 heads are great start on a budget, then Len says 1.7 Q heads...I just tried the *search* function and maybe Q isn't what Len said and maybe the search function kinda sucks cause even when you type +Q +heads every post with the word head in it comes up.....

Just curious why Len said this...seems as though all 1.7 heads have smaller valves than the 1.8s but I'm still a newb when it comes to the inside of these engines. How would I tell if my 1.7 has these heads?
beerchug.gif
Trevorg7
Good show Jake. I like this one better than the last (read as I am poor and budget minded).

Thanks.

T
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Jake: Thanks for the effort you are putting into each show,
you are the major 914 resource , Ican,t miss a show.
When the DVD's are readyI want one . Dave slap.gif
Jake Raby
Thanks guys!!!
We are trying hard on the shows..
spunone
Damm I'm gonna have to get an Auto.. graph now that your a STAR smiley_notworthy.gif
Jake Raby
Nah, just get my damn parts finished..
spunone
Sorry I just need another shot ...LOL
JPB
Great show and always take lots of notes!!!

:beer1: Type 4 Power!!!
jd66921
I have to agree that your show is great. I am beginning to figure out my options.
Too bad I do not have any parts available, nor am I far enough along to take
advantage of your specials.

One thing I found missing was a discussion of induction systems. You built up a
1911 or 2056 and for about $2000, but carbs could cost another $1000 or so?
FI would be about the same? What can be done with stock FI systems?

Also, do the mods you are doing to the engine require any replacement of engine
tin? I thought I read about relocation of spark plugs somewhere, maybe I am wrong.

Overall though, very interesting!! Keep up the good work!

Jeff
G e o r g e
QUOTE(jd66921 @ Sep 15 2006, 05:04 PM) *

I have to agree that your show is great. I am beginning to figure out my options.
Too bad I do not have any parts available, nor am I far enough along to take
advantage of your specials.

One thing I found missing was a discussion of induction systems. You built up a
1911 or 2056 and for about $2000, but carbs could cost another $1000 or so?
FI would be about the same? What can be done with stock FI systems?

Also, do the mods you are doing to the engine require any replacement of engine
tin? I thought I read about relocation of spark plugs somewhere, maybe I am wrong.

Overall though, very interesting!! Keep up the good work!

Jeff

jeff you can keep your stock efi with these 2 options beerchug.gif

EDIT at least the l jet, and the 2 ltr d jet, i'm not sure about the 1.7 system
Jake Raby
This week I wanted to cover just the internals of the budget engine. Intake, ignition and exhaust systems and sub systems will get their own shows as things progress over the coming months.

If we would have mixed induction and etc into the show our focus would have been too broad..
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2006, 06:35 PM) *

This week I wanted to cover just the internals of the budget engine.

Jake i listened to the show tons of info, thanks

?? for you since the 96mm P&C's are no good with the 1.7 heads.

what would the budget builder do with these? 94mm?
HAM Inc
ChrisNPDrider had a question about the budget head discussion with regard to the choice between 1.7 "Q" heads and 1.8 heads. I guess that was a little confusing. I should have explained in a little more detail what I was referring to.

When I hear "budget" my reflex is to think of bug guys converting to T4 for the first time. For these guys they can grab a 1.7 out of a 914, slap in a quality cam & lifters, do a stock valve job on the heads (no seats required on the 1.7 Q heads) install some 96mm KB's, do the upright conversion and hit the road with a 1911 that will make 100HP all day long with an unbelievable amount of torque and surprisingly good MPG .

For the HP range that Jake was referring to 115-125 the 1.8's are the best choice for the budget minded as they don't require extra port work. Sorry for the confusion.
914werke
Yea but what is a "Q" head and what differentiates it from any other 1.7 head?
HAM Inc
"Q" heads were originally installed only on 914's and 411's. Since they were not installed on busses they are not as likely to have been worked to within an inch of their life. They also had extra meat around the ex port where the smog tubes would thread into the head, but the heads were not machined for the tubes.

The heads are identified by a Q suffix in the casting #.

They RARELY crack and I can not recall ever seeing a valve seat drop on a Q head. Ofcourse if you stay with the stock seats you are limited to the stock valves. This is not a big deal to someone building a mild engine on a budget. The small intake ports offer fabulous low speed response and good fuel mileage. In stock form they outflow a stock T1 (not a concern to 914 owners, but a big deal to bug conversion people) by about 50% making them excellent candidates for the budget conversion crowd.

There are no functional defferences between any of the 1.7 heads.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(George H. @ Sep 15 2006, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 15 2006, 06:35 PM) *

This week I wanted to cover just the internals of the budget engine.

Jake i listened to the show tons of info, thanks

?? for you since the 96mm P&C's are no good with the 1.7 heads.

what would the budget builder do with these? 94mm?

1.7 heads need to bored out for the 94/96mm size. Done it a few times...
Chris Pincetich
Thanks Len - I had a feeling it might be a TI vs TIV thing and it is...all us 914ers should have a Q on the 1.7 heads....just want to say thanks again for the great radio show and follow-up here on the 914 board. The more I learn the more happy I am with my 914. Unfortunatlely, I can't make $$$ fast enought to realize my dreams. I'd love to send you my heads NOW, but I will need to keep saving $$$....Ok back to the garage where my ebrake and trunk hinge are being worked on. beerchug.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 17 2006, 02:26 PM) *

1.7 heads need to bored out for the 94/96mm size. Done it a few times...

thanks for the reply mark,

i relistened to that part of the show, and had figured out what jake was saying,

not to use the set of 96's that already fit in the uncut 1.7 heads.

ws91420
Hey Jake not to hijack the thread but when you offered those catalogs free awhile back did you only have a limited number? I ordered mine and got a confirmation but never received it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.