Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jnp914
I have problems with the wiper system on the '71.

-When the ignition power is on, I cannot get the wipers to move. In the full left position, I can wiggle the knob and I hear slight movement up around the motor, but I get nothing in either the middle (slow?) or right position.

-The Haynes manual says that I should pull out the knob to the first position for low and all the way out for high. Nope, the switch in the car is a rotary, three position. Which one is correct.

-How do I get the switch out of the dash? I removed the dash bottom, but see no obvious access to remove the switch.

TIA
SirAndy
mine was rotary style too (before i switched to a late model harness) ...

removal is easy. first rotate the knob to the left, the top should unsrew!
then you see a metallic (alloy i think) ring with 2 slots in it.

now comes the tricky part. and i don't recall if there's still a stud sticking out once the knob is removed, but

IF NOT: just use a quarter (yes, money), it'll fit perfectly into the 2 slots and unscrew the metal ring. then the whole switch just slides out the back.

IF YES: you won't be able to get a quarter in there, so use a flat screw driver and carefullt pry counter clockwise. once the ring is off the whole switch just slides out the back.

Andy
si2t3m
I'll try to think about posting a picture of the switch tonight. You will see how to take it out of the dash.

I'm modifying mine. I'm adding a microswitch so that the middle part will activate a windshield washer pump.

Marc-André
jnp914
Just grab it and twist to the left?

Sounds like one of my earliest college dating techniques.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jnp914 @ Oct 28 2003, 01:21 PM)
Just grab it and twist to the left?
Sounds like one of my earliest college dating techniques.

yes on both laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.