Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
When I put the street tires on Suzi for Moab, noticed some uneven wear on the Azenis. So went to local shop for a quick alignment. Great gadget, good price ($75) for 4 wheel. Recommend highly. Printout follows. What do you gurus thing of these settings?

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
Understeer is what I think of them. You've got just under two full degrees more negative camber in the rear than the front!! Unless you've got some mighty stiff springs in the back, I'd think this car would push like a Honda Civic!!

If it were my car, with my suspension, I'd set the front at a half-degree closer to zero camber than the rear is. If possible--it may not be, depending on the exact chassis, ride height, etc.

--DD
Aaron Cox
more camber in front...

i have mine....

im running -2 in rear.. and almost -2 in front smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Tune for the tires. New Azenis are pretty grippy. 1.0 negative camber front 1.5 rear The one angle I don't like is rear toe of the passenger side. it is toe'd out. Pretty easy to fix right in your driveway. Just put a ratchet strap around the outside end of the rear suspension mount loosen the three bolts and carefully crank the end fwd tighten and your done.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 15 2006, 05:54 PM) *
The one angle I don't like is rear toe of the passenger side. it is toe'd out.

That was the "before" pic... The seetings were changed to those in the "current" image.

--DD
Howard
The alignment was done with the street 195/65's on American Racing VW offset wheels. They stick out further than the 205's on Fuchs and exaggerate the camber.

180# rears with Konis, Bilsteins up front, swaybars F/R. With the previous alignment and Azenis, I didn't have the HP or courage to break the fronts loose, so back would come out pretty easily, the way I like it.

But car tracks/rides better and steers easier with the new setup, some of it due to the higher profile tires of course. This is the setup to drive the almost 2k miles for RRC.

Camber aside, what about big changes to toe, caster and thrust angle? When I get back will probably put the stickies back on and re align.

Joe.. he couldn't do much more on right side due to tire rub issues that won't be there with the Fuchs. What is ideal rear toe? And don't be a smart ass AAron...

Dave_Darling
So the right-rear really is still toed out? That's not so good. sad.gif

Ideal toe angle depends on a lot of things. For the street, you want "a little toe in" all the way around. It helps keep the car nice and stable. A little toe out in the front can help the initial turn-in, but at the cost of making the car feel quite "twitchy". Good for an autoXer, not so good for a daily driver. Or even for a track car, for that matter!

I'd be a little worried about the difference in caster in the front. It's not a big deal, but it's better for it to be even. And it shouldn't have been difficult to change.

Not sure what the "thrust angle" is measuring, but I would assume any issues there would go away when you got toe-in on both rear wheels.

--DD
Aaron Cox
1/16 toe in is good
John
I would prefer to get the thrust angle to zero. (This is the angle that the rear wheels are pointed toward compared with the vehicle centerline) When both rear toe angles are equal, the thrust angle is zero. This would want to drive the car in a straight line and not drive down the road crooked or dog legged.

I think just a bit more toe in in the front. Less negative rear camber, more negative front camber.

Your caster numbers look good enough. (Camber and toe angles are more critical)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.