Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: check this
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
project-914
will this work for a fiberglass gt flared car?...also, is there any quality issue with custom widened wheels?...they look like a good deal and would look absolutely sick...I'm thinking about getting them so tell me your responses!!

oh yeah, the link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=360684
Aaron Cox
they arent hubcentric... so they will need to be machined for a late 72+ car.... no big deal for your local machinist....

they look bitchin...

9.5 are too wide for stock GT flares.. you are about .5" too wide... but you can fix that with fiberglass....
project-914
hubcentric?...sorry, I'm a noob sad.gif
dakotaewing
Total width on those wheels is closer to 10"...
Very tough fit for 9" GT flares...
project-914
well I haven't done any flares yet, so would it be that hard to modify the flares while they are going on...also, are their "GT style" flares available that will support such a width
Aaron Cox
yes.. they make wider rear flares....

www.americaninternationalracing.com
www.ultimate914.com
sixnotfour
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=59432

check the want adds 100.00 9&11 flares
project-914
thanks guys!!!
project-914
wait would it look goofy with the 9"/11" flares?...as in, would I have to run wheels spacers and would it put a lot of stress on the hubs...that's my main problem...I want minimal stress on the hubs...so no "long wheels studs and spacers until it works..."
JPB
Lick the sweat off my testicles, theys bihotchin!!

beer.gif Deep dish, big meats and wide body goodness. I think some riveted flares would make your ride crazy cool.
jasons
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 16 2006, 10:46 AM) *

they arent hubcentric... so they will need to be machined for a late 72+ car.... no big deal for your local machinist....

they look bitchin...

9.5 are too wide for stock GT flares.. you are about .5" too wide... but you can fix that with fiberglass....

I was told by the previous owner he used them with standard GT flares. I made sure of this before I bought them. That said, I have never mounted them so, I can't say for sure. In fact here is a copy of my corespondence with him.

Also, about your other wheels (8s and 9.5s).... What size tire did the
9.5's require?

I used 225X50X16 on the 8" front and 245X45X16 on the 9.5" rear. These you can see mounted in the pictures on the web site I sent you.

Did they fit under the fenders of the car you sent the
pics of?

Yes, They fit fine and I don't think my fender flares are as big as the standard factory flare.

Spacers or no spacers?

With Spacers

I am a little concerned about finding
tires that fit those 9.5s.

Not a problem there are pleanty available

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I am trying to
commit to some wheels for my (soon to be) flared 914, but as you know 4
lug options are minimal. I am really close to just doing a 5 lug
conversion but I am trying to avoid that for now.

Exactly the concerns I had and solved with these wheels. This was a great set up for me. I was totally happy with it and not at all tempted to go to the 5 bolt set up. I felt it was much better than the 5 bolt setup.
Joe Bob
He says it in his ad.....he changed his mind and went with five lug Fuchs.....there's more than a few reasons to do so....
jasons
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 17 2006, 07:54 AM) *

He says it in his ad.....he changed his mind and went with five lug Fuchs.....there's more than a few reasons to do so....

Well, my situation was unique. I scored a 73 2.0 with an SC front end brand new Bilsteins all around, F/R sways, and real 16" Fuchs (+more I'm omitting) for $1100 + a 35 mile tow. I would have tried those wheels if I didn't fall backwards into such a great deal.

Shit I'm sittin' on a set of 4lug cross-drilled rotors and Eric Shea front calipers to prove it. I still have the rear cores in the box. I was just getting ready to send them to him when I lucked into the new car.

But either way. I'm keepin' the 5 lug, sellin' the 4 lug for a reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.