Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just how close can you get to a cone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
Pictures from the last Solo 9/9/06. Hard sweeper left after long run to the corner 3rd grear downshift to 2nd, tap brake and hold on........... yeehaa...... driving.gif

Click to view attachment

This is how close you can get happy11.gif driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Cone pop right back up in place biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Narrow bodies have their advantages.
I have cone guts all along my lower quarter pannels by the end of the season. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
If I hit a cone it is because I was sliding going way too fast. Hit them dead center on purpose to avoid a DNF. Usually takes it with me and I dig it out back in grid. I get the occasional tight gate that gets clipped by the rear flares or bumper.
brant
I've got a story..
back in a pca club race around 2000-ish

I was dicing with a 944, mostly side by side.
we came up on the "chicane" section of the old stapleton track

There were a couple stacks of unbolted tires defining the chicane
someone had tapped the stack and knocked a single loose tire off of the stack and it laid in the middle of the track.

the 944 and I came around the first corner into the chicane side by side.
we saw the tire laying in the middle of the track and split right and left to avoid it.

I'm not sure at this point if if was him or I, but one of us touched the edge of the tire.... just barely.

the tire stood up and didn't roll or move. Just stood up from the contact
I looked in my mirror to see the tire standing.

brant
jhadler
My favorite was when Hank Watts ran over the edge of a cone. Someone actually got a picture of the moment. The rear tire from his 911 was on the base of the cone, and the cone was leaning into towards the tire. The cone did not move, and after he saw the picture, he said "if you stand on their toes, they can't go anywhere...".

The other was at an SCCA event where the cone was kicked high up into the air, and landed, right side up, _inside_ the box. Safe...

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Stand on thier toes now that's the fast way through.
sww914
I'm proud to say that at my first a/x I dragged 3 cones off the track with me on 1 pass, but I couldn't fake it because 2 were sticking out from my front spoiler, and 1 was on my exhaust, smoking.
I've found that I can run over the corners and not knock them down, I can feel the little thump thumps, but I can't hear them screaming or anything, they're pretty quiet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.