Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just thinking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I think sometime soon, within the next year, I'm going to drive from KY to CA somewhere in my 914.

What do I need to do, besides bring an extra engine (already done that wink.gif )

lincoln
take a map and maybe run the old Rt 66?
bd1308
smile.gif

take what, a few days?

b
lincoln
hard to say- when i hitched from VA to CA it took me like 6 days- but that was also at x mas time and not many folks were helpful .
bd1308
Google is saying 1 day, 11 hours

my mom is sayin i'll never make it

I smell a road trip
balljoint
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 17 2006, 09:46 AM) *

Google is saying 1 day, 11 hours

my mom is sayin i'll never make it

I smell a road trip

You will make it in that time if you don't stop to take a shower. And then you will smell like a road trip. biggrin.gif

You will need your tools and some country music. driving.gif
JPB
If there are some 914 club members you can reach on route who are willing to assist in case of an emergency would be helpfull. Then your AAA card can be used to tow it to a member's house if the worst happens. Getting all things tuned so she can run efficiently and cool would be the most important thing to take care of first. Don't forget to pack a spare clutch cable, accelerator cable and a vbelt with the tools to get them installed as well as some wire and connectors with a striping/crimping tool to rewire if some go bad on route.

beer.gif Yo cun dooo hit!!!
bd1308
'An engine swap at every stop' will be the logo for this road trip
computers4kids
Well, if you make it to Central CA, I have 8 jackstands ready and willing "if your teener needs to take a load off." You might consider bolting on a pair of David Lees' tow brackets...just in case.

Mark
TINCAN914
Brit,

Let us know when you decide to make the trip. You can hook up with the Colo guy's, and I got room for you to crash a night... Pack tools, parts, parts and more parts... biggrin.gif
bd1308
QUOTE(JPB @ Sep 17 2006, 07:55 AM) *

If there are some 914 club members you can reach on route who are willing to assist in case of an emergency would be helpfull. Then your AAA card can be used to tow it to a member's house if the worst happens. Getting all things tuned so she can run efficiently and cool would be the most important thing to take care of first. Don't forget to pack a spare clutch cable, accelerator cable and a vbelt with the tools to get them installed as well as some wire and connectors with a striping/crimping tool to rewire if some go bad on route.

beer.gif Yo cun dooo hit!!!

I carry those items just going around town here lol
rick 918-S
Set your sights for the next WCC if we have one..... confused24.gif And I'll see ya there! driving.gif
Brian_Boss
When I was young and possesed of even less judgement than now, I drove my 914 from LA to Dallas. No spare parts, no internet, no cell phone, no AAA - no one even knew I was going.

Other than the starter dying at the first gas stop in Phoenix, it was uneventful. It was actually pretty fun. It would have been better if I could have turned off the engine to stop and sight see.

I guess God really does look out for fools wink.gif

I say go for it.
ClayPerrine
Britt,

Start off with a shorter trip. Drive to the MUSR.

If it breaks, we can fix it before you have to leave for home.
Brando
Pull up the ECL and find who is nearest your route to SoCal. Keep their names and phone numbers handy, and send them an e-mail ahead of time. A few of us put on there we have tools, food, and lodging available (I think I'm under all three, if not consider it so) for passing-through fellow club members smile.gif
effutuo101
agree.gif
a couple of hundred milers to make sure it is all sorted out. Then, like the Nike comercial, just do it. I took an extra pillow for lower lumbar/but cushion.
bd1308
ive driven for a couple of months on this engine. mostly highway niles
Heeltoe914
Tune-up and some tools. workshop book and lots of water. Flashlight. If you Question it REPLACE IT. spend the time know and you will have a better trip. Dont forget to check the CVs and carry a spare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.