Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How my run to James Dean emorial went today......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
well i felt bad for all of us not able to drive their cars today , but was soon corrected ( put in my place) by the speedo cable breaking. not a real prob cuz i can feel my way using the tach.

bout halfway there one of the exhaust studs i fixed decided it was gonna go 'plink!' so exhaust started to leak then.

3/4 way there i looked in rearview mirror and thought i saw smoke. YUP sure enuff smoke from oil burning blowing out of the engine cover. DAMN!!!!!

well about that time i decided since it was pretty much middle of nowhere i should turn round and try to make it back to the closest town.

pulled off the road. car died. low LOW oil level and the whole pass side in the engine bay is covered in oil. which , by the way, is HOT!!! think i burned my fingers on dipstick .

waited 45 minutes, topped up oil, BEGGED it to start , at least to get us to a town.nothing. nother 10 minutes and more begging and it finally started up. noisy as hell cuz ANOTHER exhaust stud 'Plinked" and fell on the ground while waiting for it to cool down.

managed to get it to a little convenience store in the country where i proceeded to pay bout 8 bucks for 2 qts oil ( just in case i needed it) and jacked er up , crawled under and tried to fix the exhaust so it wouldnt draw TOO many stares from the highway patrol. well managed to tie it up with wire to the pushrod tube, so that was TEMP fixed. now all i had to do was pray it would get me closer to home , if not all the way.

well i was lucky enuff to make it home without any further mishaps mis-happenin to me, and it doesnt sound like there is any SERIOUS damage to the motor, and after looking at it somewhat, i think my cooler or valve cover could be the source of the leak.

LUCKY me. to remove the cooler is pretty much a drop the engine thing aint it?Soooo, i figure while i will probly have to take it down to try to find/fix oil leaks, it would be a BETTER idea to just get an overhaul gasket set , the hydraulic lifter conversion parts i want , and rip off the heads and fix them damn studs AGAIN!

thing that REALLY pisses me off , it was running SOOO good all this last week, no exhaust leaks, good power , sounded nice and sporty , so i figured it was due for a "short" roadtrip.

by the way, if anyone hears of a guy claiming to specialize in porsche/VW repairs by the name of Mike Windle or using the business name of Mike Windle Motors, send me contact info- hes the jackass who charged me 1200 bucks and did about a 12 dollar job of a rebuild on this motor. he was last heard of heading to the so cal area .he is a worthless mechanic , a liar and just an all round POS. owns a white 912 , and a couple of older vw bus/vans as well as a newer vw van also. works out of his apt garage/carport and claims to know the "secrets" to making the t 4 motors NOT leak any oil. possibly will have a 1.8 motor hes trying to sell or trade ( my original motor )

thats what i get for laughing at my fellows who have to consider if they have enuff AAA miles to take a drive in the 914 .

FYI , reason i will be fixing my motor instead of just buying a plug and play one is cost - we just cut our OT hours at work so dont have as much to spend right now- so basically gotta go low cost , mainly to keep it on the road and driving.

asta, er Auf Wiedersehen!
Lincoln
wbergtho
Sorry to hear you had a busy day with your motor...Good thing to hear you didn't ruin it.
So.Cal.914
Isn't that odd, your on your way to the James Dean memorial and the "Porsche"

dies. At least your safe the engine can be rebuilt. Check compression if OK you

can change the oil cooler seals with it in the car, a little tough but can be done.

Sounds like it got real hot, if your lucky you just took about 10,000 mi off

your bearings.
lincoln
yea i thought it was pretty ironic also heh . wonder where that M went in Memorial . was there when i typed it out.

strange as hell really, here in town its running ok again- but am STILL gonna go thru it and fix the stuff the "mechanic" didnt fix right
lincoln
having never pulled one of these motors before, and never having worked on one either, is it possible to take it down, tear it apart , replace all gaskets/seals, re-assemble and re-install it in say 3 days? that is if i dont find anything MAJOR that needs attention.
Jake Raby
I took a 100 mile trip in my 550 Spyder for "Jimmy" yesterday... It was more to get some miles on it for the new owner once it's time on ebay is up in a few days!

The best part is the clown in the Cayman that thought he could spank my ass 0-60. I showed him just how much money he wasted on his piece of plastic and did it with Type 4 style..
So.Cal.914
clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.