Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My weekend at Brumos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I thought I'd give a little travel log report on my weekend at the Brumos Octoberfest in Jacksonville this past weekend.

I loaded up the car on Friday night and left the house at 3:30 am Sat. for the four hour haul to Jax. The swap meet and concours are held at the dealership which also has the raceshop in the back. The raceshop is NOT open to the public and don't ask to go in. I did speak to Bob Snodgrass (owner/president) and he said they race 6 914's. Two are open top. The swap meet was typical of the previous years, but weak compared to your west coast events. Only other 914clubber that was there was Doug (ein 6er). Miles (redshift) did not show up. There was a total of 18 cars in the concours. I entered mine just to show it off. I think half the people there I no idea WTF it was. I received 114 points out of 200. I think I lost some points on "originality". I won a die cast model of a 996 for my prize. (If anyone would like a die cast model of a 996, PM me)

The autox is held at the police training center. The course is not really an autox, but more like a road course. It has 14 corners in 1/2 mile. The one stright section is about 150 yards long. I get into 3rd gear for about 5 seconds. This year they decided to run the course twice around. Last year my time was 55 seconds but this year it was in the 1:45 range.

Now for the bad news. On my first run I had just made the first lap and was starting the second when I went into the first 180 degree corner. The car was pushing so I was just holding on while I plowed through, than the tires caught I shot off course. I can down off the track and over a cast iron drainage grate and re-entered the track going the other way. The front lip on my front spoiler was broken off in three pieces, the bumper was cracked, the bumper mounting brackets were bent up, and one fender was cracked. I drove back to my trailer, removed what was left of the bumper/spoiler and got back in line.

My next two runs were were not at the same pace as the first and I ended up missing FTD by about four seconds to another fully preped 914. The next fastest time was about 10 seconds back.

Was I pissed? Oh yea. headbang.gif
But you know, I was going to change that spoiler anyway. rolleyes.gif

Here are some before and after pics.

Paul
URY914
After,
URY914
Here is the concours line up of the cool cars (but not the 928). The rest of the cars were BORING street 911's
URY914
This cute little thing won the concours with 198 points out of 200.
Aaron Cox
im surprised your car didnt fly away without that spoiler! lol2.gif
URY914
I came home early today and started working on it.
I'm going to change the way I mount the bumper to the car.
It will be lighter. (but you knew that) laugh.gif

Paul
redshift
Sorry bout your bump.

Looks like it was pretty boring down there, except for that minute after you whacked the shit out of your car.

smile.gif

M
drew365
I guess now you can change your handle to: URY914CW. laugh.gif
ChrisReale
Wow, I didn't realize that your spoiler was that low. I crack mine on a regular basis. I put it back together with Bondo Fibre-fix, or something like that.

What is your suspension?
URY914
So Miles I was looking for you all day.
Couldn't make your bond?

Paul
URY914
Chris,
Whata mean,
What is your suspension?
?

Paul
ChrisReale
What do you run torsion bar, sway bar, rear spring-wise?
URY914
Front:
22mm torsion bars
Weltmister sway bar with hex bar drop links
Derlin bushings
Koni yellow sport shocks

Rear:
250 pound springs w/ adjustible collars
Koni yellow sport shocks
Derlin bushings

I need:
Mono ball strut bushings for the front and needle bearing bushings.

Paul
mharrison
Good thing they had the concours BEFORE the autox!!! laugh.gif
URY914
BTW, I forgot about the three 996 tubo cabs that were unloaded on Sat morning. Here is a shot of them.
URY914
The one on the far end had a sticker price of.......$134,000!!!!!!

The options included $220 for the Porsche crest in the headrests.
(You need that)

Paul
Brad Roberts
The little Blue car belonged to a guy who lived in Texas. He restored it and moved to Florida. He was also the owner of the Black M471 car that was in a Pano article a few years back.

Glad to see your braking shit Paul.. laugh.gif its more than I can say.

B
john rogers
I'd recommend trimming the front spoiler where it broke to a nice smooth edge and then using a rubber spoiler to go down to the ground. It will bend and flex so as not to crack and break when you get these off course excersions. Good luck
Brad Roberts
Sounds like John speaks from experience.

Every time the tube frame car goes out the "new" owner breaks the Sheridan air dam.. luckily he owns a body shop. laugh.gif

B
URY914
I just don't like the rubber lip look. It doesn't look like a finished product. I'll go back with the f/g lip.

I just won't f/u next time and I'll keep it on the track.

Paul
redshift
Sorry about Saturday, car was still waiting for UFO exhaust, and I got elected to pet-sit for some friends going out of town.

I have a note from my proctologist.

I will not miss any other events, like my UFO is flying!

M
p914
An ABS air dam would take the punishment and you shouldn't have to do anything except maybe paint it if you smack up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.