Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: breaks set up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
41ghost
what are some good setups for stock 4 bolt rotors, to imptove breaking other than 19mm master cylinder.
davep
There is not much that can be done to improve the standard brakes on a 914/4. Easiest improvement is to use the 914/6 brakes. Part of the reason is that the solid rotors can't take much more, so vented rotors are the next big step. There are a few ways to do this. The 914/6 way, or Meuller hubs on the front and redrilled 911 rear rotors with 911 front calipers and widened rear calipers.
DanT
get some M calipers for the front.
Vented early 911 rotors
Billet aluminum 4 bolt hubs to work with M calipers and 911 vented rotors
41ghost
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 17 2006, 04:26 PM) *

Vented early 911 rotors

interesting , where do you fine these billet hubs? and do they go right on the stock spindle without any mods?
Eric_Shea
what are some good setups for stock 4 bolt rotors, to imptove breaking other than 19mm master cylinder

New Pads
New Fluid
New Rubber Lines
Read the brake FAQ Here
DanT
QUOTE(41ghost @ Sep 17 2006, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 17 2006, 04:26 PM) *

Vented early 911 rotors

interesting , where do you fine these billet hubs? and do they go right on the stock spindle without any mods?

Contact Mike Mueller or Brad on this board. They still have some sets available.
Yes they go right on with 914 stock bearings, fit on the stock spindle.
The whole deal bolts right up to a stock strut/spindle ( later style I believe '73+)
Only modification you need to make is to either bend or make a new hard brake line to match up with the M caliper....
Matt Romanowski
Cooling and pads will get you a far way.

Cap'n Krusty
Replacing your pads with pads of the same size, vented rotors or not, is gonna result in exactly the same amount of braking force, although it may give you SOME cooling improvement and therefore resistance to fade. I'm a firm believer in improving braking capacity by using them less. If you're overheating your stock brakes on a basically stock 914, you're abusing the brakes. The ultimate limiter of stopping power is the tires: If you have enough brake power to lock 'em up, you are losing stopping ability, as well as the ability to steer the car while you're trying to slow it down. The Cap'n
Matt Romanowski
Cap'n,

I was meaning to use more "race" pads and add some cooling ducts. I agree, on a stock car the only problem I've ever had is some fade on tracks like NHIS (too many slow corners after fast sections). Bigger brakes don't change the tire contact area....

Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.