Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No side marker warts...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dsmeyer
The side marker wart was a U.S.DOT only requirement.
The factory did not install them on 914s for other markets...
Can you spot the DOT car in this picture?
IPB Image
Aaron Cox
the second and third chassis hanging from the asebly line have em!
mharrison
It looks like the second one has a red lense and the third has amber... Is there a red side marker in any countries?
Mark Henry
I think it's amber, just the car colour screwin' with ya!

Amber wart in Canada.

I don't like it, but then I don't like like getting run over by stupid assholes in their POS SUV's because they are talking on their cell phones like the fucking dumb ass dicks they are...

Oh...Sorry.. end of rant.
Aaron Cox
also note that #2 and #3 on the assembly line have USA front markers wink.gif
MarkV
We are all checking out the 914's rolling down the assembly line.

Charles is busy checking out the workers. LOL
Mark Henry
I guess Alfred/Jeff/Charles will be changing his name again soon!!!

What a moron!

"Call him a moron and he just sits there looking moron-ly" Homer J. Simpson.
Qarl
Oh man! I knew this was going to happen..

The recent solar erruption of magnetic energy has activated the microchip planted by aliens in the brain of Charles/Jeff/Alfred!

IPB Image
Mark Henry
QUOTE(kellzey @ Oct 28 2003, 09:48 PM)
Oh man!  I knew this was going to happen..

The recent solar erruption of magnetic energy has activated the microchip planted by aliens in the brain of Charles/Jeff/Alfred!

LOL
madd_dogg_914
C'mon guys . . . everyone gets their own opinions about stuff. Some people think that this is butt-ugly
IPB Image
But I bet the guy that built it loves it.
The moral of the story is, while we may all see things a little differently, lets at LEAST try to keep it Porsche related. Charles/Jeff/Alfred, would you please kindly rephrase your post so as it is less, or un-offensive, and please keep it Porsche related. And rather than blowing up at him, everyone else, just turn the other cheek and feel sorry for him. I have numerous relatives that just plain don't know any better. The truth is that we are all HUMANS, plain and simple and we (at least on here) all love Porsche's! So in the words of the famous Rodney King,
"Can't we all just get along"

Thank You
-Chris
fiid
mmmm. posts erased.

I've been wondering what to do with my side markers. I have 2 rigth hand covers so the left side one looks wonky anyway. I've been thinking about trying to do something cool with leds for all the lights, although I fear this will upset the flasher relay.

(Flasher relay - race of people with no clothes except raincoats passing a stick every 200 meters laugh.gif )

Fiid.
double-a
ok, this thread doesn't make any sense. what's everyone hollerin' about?

cool pic though, nice shiny teeners! wub.gif
Rockaria
People don't seem to be able to see the blinker on mine. Some idiot started yelling at me really loud to turn on my blinkers. He then pointed to my side marker. My front ones were working just perfectly at the time. I just shook my head and carefully drove on. I chalk it up as dumb Arss fools. But one day someone will not look and think I am not turning and plow into me. So I thought about retrofitting the side marker as an additional blinker. Any thoughts.
fiid
Actually - I wondered why they don't blink - doesn't make sense to me. Let me know how you do it :-)

Fiid.
TheCabinetmaker
I replaced a front left signal bucket once and hooked the wires wrong. The top one blinked normally and the side one blinked opposite of the top one. Looked like they were blinking in series. Don't know how I did it, but can't make it do it again
confused24.gif
jnp914
Will the existing turn signal circuit handle a higher wattage bulb? Easier to be seen from the front and at an angle.
olav
I'm going to remove mine. Two less parts to worry about and they crack and break so easily.

ninja.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 29 2003, 08:09 AM)
I replaced a front left signal bucket once and hooked the wires wrong. The top one blinked normally and the side one blinked opposite of the top one. Looked like they were blinking in series. Don't know how I did it, but can't make it do it again
confused24.gif

The blinking side markers is a modification we do in the Mk.III world (Golf III & Jetta III).
http://www.kersur.net/~btillman/bob/garage...rker/index.html
This explains it. Get a hold of a 914 wiring diagram and see if it's similar. Basically, you are taking
the side marker ground lead and jumpering it to the turn signal input.
IPB Image
I did this mod to my Jetta and a friend's. Super simple and works! I've had other peoples cars in that blind zone where they
can't see the turn signals and both of you are going to merge to the same lane. With my side markers blinking it's never
been a problem. I can understand why those of you would want to do such a modification.

There has GOT to be someone here in this forum who could figure out an easy way to do this. C'mon guys, quite yapping
and get to work! laugh.gif
daktaklakpak
Did the factory paint the hubs black?
dsmeyer
QUOTE(double-a @ Oct 29 2003, 11:47 AM)
ok, this thread doesn't make any sense. what's everyone hollerin' about?

cool pic though, nice shiny teeners! wub.gif

Golly ... I just found this great picture of new 914s and noticed that the euro models don't have the warts.

It was really just an excuse to post a great picture.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Being new here I'm confused as what the conversation is about -- obviously something before my time here --
but I don't like where it's leading. Let's be carefull out there! chatsmiley.gif
Hawktel
I don't think you can reduce people to a number Alfred. If it turns out that you can though, I'm saving the number 0 for you big guy.
double-a
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Oct 29 2003, 10:13 AM)
Being new here I'm confused as what the conversation is about -- obviously something before my time here --
but I don't like where it's leading.  Let's be carefull out there! chatsmiley.gif

i'm in the same boat as you, not sure what the history is here, why certain ones are so very hostle towards each other. and apparently a post in this thread was deleted or something, which makes it all the more confusing. folks just need to quit the hatin'
blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

QUOTE(dsmeyer @ Oct 29 2003, 10:09 AM)
Golly ... I just found this great picture of new 914s and noticed that the euro models don't have the warts.

It was really just an excuse to post a great picture.

my apologies, i wasn't referring to the original intent of the thread. i understand why you posted the pic, it's a very cool vintage shot btw. what i don't understand is what some other folks are talking about in this thread. seems a little off the 'warts or no warts' topic to me.
confused24.gif
meursault
Let's just say that the issue here isn't warts on the 914, but uh...someone's saying that white 914s are better than 914s painted any other color, and that the superiority of white 914s can be measured objectively through "infallible" tests like, oh, say, the big butt test. Over the years, this contention might say, the big butt test has proved time and time again that white 914s are superior because white 914s from the west coast have fared better than 914s painted other colors and coming from the east coast.

It's a load of bs.gif You'd think that people might have gotten past this line of thinking over the years, but apparently, some ignorant sods haven't. fighting19.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(double-a @ Oct 29 2003, 10:53 AM)
and apparently a post in this thread was deleted or something, which makes it all the more confusing. folks just need to quit the hatin'

we have 1,218 members on this board as of right now and only 1 keeps spreading the hate.

Alfred Schwenk aka Jeff Krieger aka Charles Deutsch

he has been banned from this board before but he keeps coming back (must be pretty lonely up there in Vancouver).
and, if he doesn't watch his mouth (fingers actually) he will be banned again.

Andy <== who's tired of this shit
Brad Roberts
Damn it.. I missed it.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 29 2003, 11:03 AM)
Damn it.. I missed it.

I'm sure Alfred is more than happy to PM you all the details laugh.gif
silver six
Alfred wants us to think that his opinions are based entirely on logic and that he only holds his racist beliefs because the objective evidence requires him to. But he makes a number of logical fallacies:

1. Groupism: First, Alfred assumes that an individual's worth should be measured by the value of the group that individual is a member of. This is the fallacy of "groupism." Individual people cannot be reduced to the group they happen to be a member of. Individuals are people. They are not groups. To treat people like mere members of a group is to dehumanize them. Moreover, it dehumanizes us too because then we begin to think of everyone, not as individuals, but as a group members. Think of the Borg and you will get the picture.

2. Selective Groupism: In addition, Alfred is very selective about his groupism. He assumes that the most significant group one is a member of, is one's racial/nation group. But that is a fallacy as well. Why reduce people to members of their racial groups when there are other groups out there? There are friendly people and unfriendly people. There are people with earrings and those without. There are groups of people with high cholesterol and low cholesterol. There are near limitless ways in which we can categorize people if we wanted to, but Alfred only wants to look at racial/nation groups. Why isn't Alfred talking about the superiority of tall people? After all, plenty of studies have concluded that tall people are more likely to be more successful in business. For example, only 3% of the nation's Fortune 500 companies are run by CEOs who are shorter than 6 foot. Alfred's "selective groupism" exposes the fact that Alfred isn't looking at the facts "objectively" but only at the facts he prefers to see. Alfred prefers to look at racial/nation groups exclusively, not because this is the only group that exists, but because he prefers to be a racist.

3. Technological Centrism: Alfred further assumes that the nations/races who create more technology are "better" than nations/races that create less technology. Again there is no logical precept that would require this to be the case. Technology does not make a nation or its people good or virtuous. For its time, Nazi Germany was, arguably, one of the most technologically advanced and organized, nations in the world. This did not make them a great or virtuous people. Similarly, low technology nations are not, for that reason evil or morally inferior. Think of India under Gandhi's leadership. During the middle of the last century, India was one of the most technological backwards nations in the world, but Gandhi undermined one of world history's greatest empires (the British Empire), not though technology but through moral clarity, resolve, bravery, and his connection to the divine. Alfred wants to assume that nations/races with more technology are good, and smart, and virtuous, and great but there is no necessary logical connection between technology and those positive values; sometimes they align sometimes they don't.

4. Intellectual Centrism: Last, Alfred assumes that those with high IQs are superior in some significant way to those with low IQs. This, of course, is a logical fallacy as well. Putting aside the long tortured argument as to whether IQ tests really measure intelligence or whether they measure something else like mere cleverness, or one's familiarity with the world and language of the wealthy, the assumption that Alfred wants to make is that high IQ people are superior or are of greater value than other people. Again there is no logical reason to believe this. People of high IQs can do evil things. Think of the recent corporate scandals, Enron, or even the villains of history, Genghis Kahn, Saddam Hussein, Joe Stalin. These were not dumb people but they acted in tremendously destructive ways. People of low IQs, similarly, can lead great lives. George W. Bush is my own personal favorite example but regardless of whether you're with me on that one or not, you can understand the point.

Conclusion The most significant point, of course, is to note that people can act well and live virtuous, brave, generous, and loving lives without having high IQs and people from all nations and all races, possessing all levels of technological access, have it within them to be good people regardless of these outward manifestations. Alfred is a racist not because he is compelled by logic or the objective facts to be one. Neither logic nor objective facts require that. Alfred is a racist because he wants to be one.

Douglas
double-a
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 29 2003, 10:59 AM)
we have 1,218 members on this board as of right now and only 1 keeps spreading the hate.

Alfred Schwenk aka Jeff Krieger aka Charles Deutsch

he has been banned from this board before but he keeps coming back (must be pretty lonely up there in Vancouver).
and, if he doesn't watch his mouth (fingers actually) he will be banned again.

i see... interesting. thanks for the clarification guys.
Brad Roberts
Damn Doug. That is GOOD.

The only time I see you smile is when you get out of your car.

Nice avitar.

B
Charles Deutsch
Alfred wants us to think that his opinions are based entirely on logic and that he only holds his racist beliefs because the objective evidence requires him to. But he makes a number of logical fallacies:

1. Groupism: First, Alfred assumes that an individual's worth should be measured by the value of the group that individual is a member of. This is the fallacy of "groupism." Individual people cannot be reduced to the group they happen to be a member of. Individuals are people. They are not groups. To treat people like mere members of a group is to dehumanize them. Moreover, it dehumanizes us too because then we begin to think of everyone, not as individuals, but as a group members. Think of the Borg and you will get the picture.

What is the concept of conditional probability in statistics? The more you know about a person or thing (e.g., which groups they belong to) the more you can know with certainty something about that person. Is this really a foreign concept to you?

2. Selective Groupism: In addition, Alfred is very selective about his groupism. He assumes that the most significant group one is a member of, is one's racial/nation group. But that is a fallacy as well. Why reduce people to members of their racial groups when there are other groups out there? There are friendly people and unfriendly people. There are people with earrings and those without. There are groups of people with high cholesterol and low cholesterol. There are near limitless ways in which we can categorize people if we wanted to, but Alfred only wants to look at racial/nation groups. Why isn't Alfred talking about the superiority of tall people? After all, plenty of studies have concluded that tall people are more likely to be more successful in business. For example, only 3% of the nation's Fortune 500 companies are run by CEOs who are shorter than 6 foot. Alfred's "selective groupism" exposes the fact that Alfred isn't looking at the facts "objectively" but only at the facts he prefers to see. Alfred prefers to look at racial/nation groups exclusively, not because this is the only group that exists, but because he prefers to be a racist.

Why would you group people by race and not by their cholesterol level or their height? You got me there.

3. Technological Centrism: Alfred further assumes that the nations/races who create more technology are "better" than nations/races that create less technology. Again there is no logical precept that would require this to be the case. Technology does not make a nation or its people good or virtuous. For its time, Nazi Germany was, arguably, one of the most technologically advanced and organized, nations in the world. This did not make them a great or virtuous people. Similarly, low technology nations are not, for that reason evil or morally inferior. Think of India under Gandhi's leadership. During the middle of the last century, India was one of the most technological backwards nations in the world, but Gandhi undermined one of world history's greatest empires (the British Empire), not though technology but through moral clarity, resolve, bravery, and his connection to the divine. Alfred wants to assume that nations/races with more technology are good, and smart, and virtuous, and great but there is no necessary logical connection between technology and those positive values; sometimes they align sometimes they don't.

Here's a recent story about Malaysia's high-tech industry. Intel CEO, Craig Barret suggests that if Malaysia doesn't want China to "take away its vital high-tech industry", it should "educate and train its workforce better". "Malaysia is making the migration from what I would have called an initially manufacturing site to more value-add, more innovation for R&D," he told Reuters last month. Data from the World Bank (news - web sites) showed Malaysia had 154 R&D engineers and scientists per million people, compared with China's 354 per million.

Silversix, you should write the Malaysian government and tell them not to worry about it.

4. Intellectual Centrism: Last, Alfred assumes that those with high IQs are superior in some significant way to those with low IQs. This, of course, is a logical fallacy as well. Putting aside the long tortured argument as to whether IQ tests really measure intelligence or whether they measure something else like mere cleverness, or one's familiarity with the world and language of the wealthy, the assumption that Alfred wants to make is that high IQ people are superior or are of greater value than other people. Again there is no logical reason to believe this. People of high IQs can do evil things. Think of the recent corporate scandals, Enron, or even the villains of history, Genghis Kahn, Saddam Hussein, Joe Stalin. These were not dumb people but they acted in tremendously destructive ways. People of low IQs, similarly, can lead great lives. George W. Bush is my own personal favorite example but regardless of whether you're with me on that one or not, you can understand the point.

Yup, I believe that smarter is more better.

Conclusion The most significant point, of course, is to note that people can act well and live virtuous, brave, generous, and loving lives without having high IQs and people from all nations and all races, possessing all levels of technological access, have it within them to be good people regardless of these outward manifestations. Alfred is a racist not because he is compelled by logic or the objective facts to be one. Neither logic nor objective facts require that. Alfred is a racist because he wants to be one.

I'm not allowed to post the US government graphs with the relative murder rates of blacks vs. whites but it seems that the blacks are significantly less virtuous year after year.
Mark Henry
I’m the one who got real pissy because of Alfred/Jeff/Charles racist views. I used some very colourful language about what I think of said member and if it offended anyone (other than Alfred/Jeff/Charles) I apologise. I only deleted my more colourful post.

I personally cannot and will not tolerate racism.

If I were the powers that be, his IP would be banned permanently.

This is his latest PM to me, total crap. I have blocked him from sending me any further PM’s.

Mark

Author Private Message [ Delete PM ]

Charles Deutsch
Group: MembersPosts: 308Joined: 21-August 03

See, Mark, that's what I meant when I said that "you feel very strongly about certain things but you can't explain why". If you're not delusional and can look objectively at things like decades worth of murder rates and decades worth of IQ tests and SAT scores and the different races'contributions (or lack of contribution) to the fields of math and science or even whether certain races had a written language or not, then you should be a racist.

Which black, African country is the equal of a white country? You should go to that African country. To summarize, let p: a person is not delusional q: a person is racist. I believe that p implies q and that your view is explained by ~q implies ~p!

--------------------Whenever I’m in the majority on any issue, I re-examine my position to see if I made a mistake.
[ Add to Buddies ]
fiid
Good work adminny people. Nuff said.
SirAndy
of course his "numbers" are just a excuse. if he had any kind of backbone left in his body he would stand up for what he is and beliefs in and would not hesitate to call himself a racist.

all this whiny-ass "the numbers made me become a racist" crap is a disgrace for his germanic heritage. where are your balls, dude?

even IF all the numbers he has supplied so far were in fact valid and true, none of them could explain why:

- he hates gay people (how do their murder rates compare?)
- he hates jews (last time i checked they were all pretty white)
- he hates "white trash", which according to his own definition would account to about 75% of all white people in the world.
- he uses alias names of famous (or should i say infamous) german nazis.

how can the white race in itself be superior if 75% of it's members are "trash"?

Alfred, are you religous? because if so, i highly recommend that you go and rent the movie "Little Nicky". it shows in very graphical detail what is going to happen to you after you blessed this planet with your departure ...

enough said,
Andy
Charles Deutsch
Andy, stop lying. I stated on numerous occasions that I'm a racist (all decent people are). I don't think I ever said anything about Jews so here goes - the Jews have won a disproportionately large number of Nobel Prizes in science. I can think of some other facts about them but I'll spare you. Concerning the fags, er, gays I just think of all the science shows I've seen where they say that physical attraction has everything to do with fertility and reproduction. No way in hell two men or two women are gonna be able to reproduce together therefore their same-sex attraction to one another must be unnatural.
Aaron Cox
and it all starts over....again and again. laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
alfred- what are you trying to prove?, your preaching to people who dont care about your lifestyle, or beliefs. that isnt what this board is for. and to state the truth- YOU ARE THE MINORITY! you say that 9/11 couldve been prevented if we would ban/mistreat/assasinate/etc immmigrants. i say we get rid of your dirty stupid white trash racists.

finger.gif
SirAndy
Thank you Alfred/Jeff/Charles cool.gif

predictability is one of your better traits ...
Andy
TheCabinetmaker
What a duetsch bag!
fiid
I find this shit offensive. Please take it elsewhere, or if you are going to spout offensive stuff stick it in a thread where it's clear you are going to be expressing this stuff and I don't have to read it. Don't put it in a thread about side markers.

pissoff.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Damn, according to my girlfriend, friends, and the number of vehicles I have at my house, I'm white trash blink.gif

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, anyone gonna figure out the wiring needed to make the side markers light/flash?
Jeroen
Alfred has just left the building...
Thanks Andy!

cheers,

Jeroen
Hawktel
Yes back to the discussion at hand.

I'm wondering if you could move the markers. I'd like to move them down, infact down into the sides of the front valience. Do you think they would get destroyed to often with them that low?

I'd also like to just go with a longer rectangular marker, that maybe 1 inch high, and 2-3 long.
TheCabinetmaker
I'll work on it this weekend and give a report. looks fairly easy according to air cooled nut's diagram. I think it may just be a matter of switching a few wires.
Joe Ricard
P.O. of my sons car had them deleted from the fenders. Wiring is still there underneath. I think it looks much better. My soon to be yellow teener has the marke lights. But I have heard Yellow cars go faster. So if a knuclke head can't see my turn signal I will have passed him already anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.