Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diagnose a bad master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
a couple of days ago my front brakes ran out of fluid - I did some inspecting, and I belive that my passenger caliper is bad. I've replaced the caliper, and went about bleeding it, but I can't get fluid in the lines.

I've taken the caliper off again, and am simply trying to get brake fluid out of the end of the brake line, just before the caliper.

I've tried both pumping the brakes and using a vacum bleeder, and can't get and fluid out of the line. The level of the resovior never drops.

So what is it? I'm assuming that there isn't a leak, could I have a bad master cylinder? Do I need to somehow prime this thing?

bd1308
Shoudlnt have to--I ran out of fluid three times when I was rebuilding the brakes, and I simply poured more fluid in and pumped the brakes to get fluid back in the lines, and then did a four point bleeding.

Maybe your MC is bad? confused24.gif

b
terrymason
That's what I'm thinking.

The way it stands now, I've removed the passenger front caliper and pretty much just have a hard line from the MC to the passenger wheel well. I should be shooting fluid all over the place everytime I pump the brakes.
URY914
Do you feel resistance against the pedal as you pump it?

Try bleeding the caliper on the driver side. See if you get B/F out of that one.
Brew
Or blockage in the line.(Hey, it could happen!) Does your D-side caliper work?
terrymason
no pedal at all - it'll hit the floor just using my hand to press the pedal. I'm guessing that if I had only rear brakes I should still be able to pump them up right?
terrymason
I'll take the driver side off tomorrow and test, but I'm thinking that I've got a bad master cylinder
Brew
Kinda sounds like it, but I cant see why you wouldnt be able to get fluid out with a vacuum pump?
Hammy
QUOTE(Brew @ Sep 19 2006, 07:42 PM) *

Kinda sounds like it, but I cant see why you wouldnt be able to get fluid out with a vacuum pump?

agree.gif
terrymason
slightly off topic - I'm looking to replace the master cylinder with a 19mm. Anyone know what year these were in the 911s? I was looking to buy local, but don't know exactly what to ask for.
Brew
Go to the Pelican page, the P/N is easy to find. Have your local guy cross reference it.
terrymason
doh!

Thanks, that was easy enough.

I'm just going to upgrade to a 19mm master cylinder anyway - thanks for the help guys.
type47
how old are or are your flexible rubber lines original? i've read that they swell and obstruct fluid if/when old. possibly the fault?
ws91420
Porsche part # for 19mm MC is 901 355 012 00
terrymason
yeah, that's possible and I'll replace them too, but I can't get over the fact that if I pump the brakes 20 or 30 times, the fluid level in the master cylinder never moves, and fluid never makes it out of the brake line (from the disconnected caliper)
URY914
Are you SURE that the pedal rod is pushing on the M/C? There is a piece (the rod) that rotates on the pedal that actually presses on the M/C to pressurize the system.

Somethin' ain't right here. wacko.gif
MattR
I replaced a caliper on my 912 a while back, and when it came time to bleed I had some strange problems. I ended up buying a master cylinder and the bleeding problems went away. Thats a pretty poor troubleshoot, but when all else fails, buy a mastercylinder... hah.
bondo
If the piston is not returning fully against the stop (circilip and washer in the bore) the holes that allow fluid in from the reservoir will not get uncovered, and the master cylinder won't be able to get any fluid. This can happen from bad actuating rod adjustment, a sticking piston, or a weak return spring.
alpha434
Where do you go to get a seal kit for the 914 m.c.?
G e o r g e
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Sep 20 2006, 01:51 PM) *

Where do you go to get a seal kit for the 914 m.c.?

pelican has them NLA for 17mm instock for 19 mm

beerchug.gif
t collins
I have seen collapsed rubber lines that would not allow brake fluid to flow through them and going to a 19mm master cylinder will not correct this situation.
Remove the rubber brake hose and try to blow air through it, that will tell you if that's it or not.
Good luck ! thumb3d.gif
Tom
JPB
Hey bro, sorry to hear of your problem but it sounds pretty symple. If your MC does not have a full stroke, it won't pump fluid. If the rod pushing on the backside of the MC is to long and needs to be screwed back a little or it won't do a thing. If this is a new or replacement part from another car, that is the first thing that needs to be looked at; then the lines not dripping ect...... Sometimes, you will just have the back breaks bleed and not the front ones; thats the same push rod adjustment and usually not the MC being bad.

beer.gif Gluck!
pete-stevers
eric sells all you need for your brakes.....
Heeltoe914
Make sure you do not pump the padel to the floor. Go about 50-70% down and up again. If you work it to the floor over and over you can rip the seal inside.
terrymason
I've been fighting this thing, and will end up replacing most of the front brakes. I've put on rebuilt calipers, and am installing a new 19mm master cylinder, and will order some new rubber hoses - I'm starting to feel good about my brakes.

I did notice when I took the old master cylinder off, that the wire / electrical connection to the master cylinder had been taken off and taped up with duct tape. My understanding is that this wire alerts you to a loss of pressure in the master cylinder - is that about right?

My guess is that the master cylinder acted up some time ago, but since the brakes still worked somewhat, the guy just taped the connection up.
joefri187
I had the exact same thing happen on my 76. I could pump the pedal all day long and not bleed the lines. Took me forever to figure it out, but I wasn't the master cylinder, lines or calipers. It turned out to be a bad pressure regulator, the thing that is attached to the rear firewall that goes to the rear brakes.

There cheap at a wrecking yard and easy to replace. I would try that before you tear the rest of your car apart.

Good Luck!
URY914
QUOTE(joefri187 @ Sep 27 2006, 02:54 PM) *

It turned out to be a bad pressure regulator, the thing that is attached to the rear firewall that goes to the rear brakes.

That is called the brake proptioning valve.
terrymason
QUOTE(joefri187 @ Sep 27 2006, 02:54 PM) *

I had the exact same thing happen on my 76. ....It turned out to be a bad pressure regulator

NO NO... Stop! blink.gif

I'll replace the calipers, hoses and master cylinder and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then I'll move on to the prop. valve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.