Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original 2.0 on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
McMark
I had to grab all the pictures. Lots of good pictures.
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

I just noticed something. This 2.0 liter engine air-intake filter box has a checker board pattern. My 1974 has a different pattern (see pic)??? Anyone know why???

Tom
tod914
How does the advertisment translate.. Looks like certian components where refinished; intake runners, fuel injection bars, coil strap, air cleaner and plenium to name a few. Looks nice though.
Pat Garvey
Yeah, I don't get it. One the most tidy engines I've seen on a 914, but the cleaner is "different". Don't know where it camefrom, but it loks like it should be there. Yeah, I know, it's not right ut someone spent some money.

Or.....is it some derivation I don't know about? hmmmm
tod914
I seen air cleaners like that before, just can't recall what model years they were on.
McMark
Yeah, that's a stock lid. I actually seem to recall that there are three styles. Lines, checkerboard, and I think there's a smooth one. unsure.gif

I didn't realize at the time that the motor was prettied up. I thought it was NOS. dry.gif Still pretty, regardless.
914runnow
Whatduh...
#1-Fuel Rails???
#2-Blue brake line Vdub hose???
#3- Needs that 925?? white stamp on the tin..
(C'mon Pat get that stamp!!!)
#4--Looks like Bowlsby or someone got after that injection harness

WHAT WAS THE PRICE ON IT??
AND WHERE WAS IT??
Thanx....
I need to know..pleaseplease boldblue.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 26 2006, 12:44 AM) *

Whatduh...
#1-Fuel Rails???

AND WHERE WAS IT??
Thanx....

Here's my take......
Your #1 - fuel rails have been polished (Simichrome?). Did mine too, cause I like it.
#2 - is hat really brake line (It's fabric backed)? Whatever, I've never seem blue before.
#3 - I am working on that, but it will be a "610".
#4 - huh?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 26 2006, 08:18 PM) *

Whatduh...
#1-Fuel Rails???

AND WHERE WAS IT??
Thanx....

Here's my take......
Your #1 - fuel rails have been polished (Simichrome?). Did mine too, cause I like it.
#2 - is hat really brake line (It's fabric backed)? Whatever, I've never seem blue before.
#4 - huh?

Forgot to mention - Id take that motor, even without exchangers, in a nano second. I'd even pay good money for it! As someone who's done that before, I can tell you there are a LOT of hours in that thing & well worth it.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 26 2006, 04:18 PM) *

Whatduh...
#1-Fuel Rails???

AND WHERE WAS IT??
Thanx....

Here's my take......
#4 - huh?

#4>.That harness looked as if it had been redone or
had new casing installed.....
#1- Fuel rails sat too high..
BUT nice motor!!
Pat Garvey
The rails look high because they were forced there. Look at the amount of fuel line from the rails to the injectors - about 3-4 times the norm!

So what - looks good, as long as it doesn't interfere.

BTW - anyone have a good source for realistically priced replacement fuel hose (as shown in the photos)? Need to re-stock.
Pat
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 29 2006, 04:56 PM) *

The rails look high because they were forced there. Look at the amount of fuel line from the rails to the injectors - about 3-4 times the norm!

So what - looks good, as long as it doesn't interfere.

BTW - anyone have a good source for realistically priced replacement fuel hose (as shown in the photos)? Need to re-stock.
Pat

I GET MINE FROM STODDARDS..
ABOUT 25.00$ Per meter..
Comes from Porsche..And is the high pressure double wall..
Although not>>Cloth...Want the part #?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 20 2006, 06:23 PM) *

Yeah, I don't get it. One the most tidy engines I've seen on a 914, but the cleaner is "different". Don't know where it camefrom, but it loks like it should be there. Yeah, I know, it's not right ut someone spent some money.

I know that this is an old post which I came across in researching here for my early 73 2L resto, but I thought that I'd add to the info base here for others.

My 73 914-2.0 (still marketed in Fall 1972 as a "914S" when sold new on 11/9/72 in CA), has the very same "Diamondback" EFI Air Box as shown on the first photo in this post, as shown in the photo of my much dirtier one below. My 914 has been stored in my garage on blocks since 5/85 & I haven't started the clean-up process yet - so it's dirty! dry.gif

"Diamondback" style embossing on 2.0 EFI "Air Box" for GA000424 in VIN 4732901954:

Click to view attachment

Also note that there is a difference of crossbars & diamondback embossing on mine - vs. the one above, so even the complexity of that changed. Did anyone get an engine number for the one above back in 2006, to try to place it in the production sequence??

Here's what I believe that the embossing style progression on these Air Boxes" was - both from my own observations & from checking with my long time mechanics at Hans Imports in Huntington Beach, CA. FYI - Hans was factory trained on the 914s before he came to the USA & started his business in the early 70's, & he was a local legend for keeping 914s & VWs in good working order around Orange County, CA. The embossing is mainly to make the thin sheet metal more rigid, & perhaps somewhat for aesthetics early on as well.

Initial 2.0s with "Diamondback" embossed pattern 1972 to +/- mid or late 1973 production

Mid-run 2.0s with "Crossbars" embossing pattern (as in the 2nd post) started with late 73s or 74s

Later 2.0s had the "Smooth-top" boxes perhaps starting with the 75 GC engines

I'm not real sure about the dates & time span for each, but the time order of the progression is right. Their reason for doing so was apparently cost, because each was a progressively less complex stamping to non-embossed top, which of course each are progressively cheaper to create the stamping dies for production.

That was one of many steps Porsche was taking over the years to keep their advertised "teaser" starting price down on the 2.0s (& 1.7s/1.8s too).

Along those lines - as you all may already know - the 73 2.0 basically came "fully loaded" with the then "new" Fuchs 2.0 Alloys, full compliment of the Appearance & Performance Groups' sets of options - all for the 2.0's base price, & often a few other options, dealer installed radios, etc. at additional cost. However, starting in 1974 they made progressively more of the "standard 2.0 upgrades" from 1973 MY, into add-on options at additional price until virtually everything was optional by the end - even though most all of the 76 2.0s still came loaded!

It's just that they could advertise the 2.0s as "starting at $xxxx" - but just try finding one in later years at that base price! I know, because I looked at new MY 76 2.0s in Fall 75 before I bought mine used, plus I didn't like the fat black bumpers, lower power, more weight, etc. - as compared to the 73/74 2.0s.

So I ended up buying my 73 2.0 at 38 months old used for $4500 in Dec. 75 (after Hans had inspected it & given it his seal of approval) - instead of a new 75/76 for more $$$$ & ended up long term with a better car which holds/appreciates value better than any other 914 except the 914/6's. ...wow was that a lucky stroke!!!!

BTW - before I focused on 914s, I had done extensive research on performance, reliability, features/etc. & value retention between the MGB/MGC, Triumphs, Austin Healys, 240Z/260Z 912s & 914s. It came down to 240Z vs. 914, with the Z's only retaining +/- 70% of their new value, & 914s 80+%. It would be interesting to see how that has turned out long term today!?

Hope this adds something for everyone!? ...& not just my rambling on to myself!?
blink.gif

...and I sure hope I can get mine to look as good as that one above, when I get it all up to speed later this year! drooley.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 27 2009, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 20 2006, 06:23 PM) *

I know that this is an old post which I came across in researching here for my early 73 2L resto, but I thought that I'd add to the info base here for others.

My 73 914-2.0 (still marketed in Fall 1972 as a "914S" when sold new on 11/9/72 in CA), has the very same "Diamondback" EFI Air Box as shown on the first photo in this post, as shown in the photo of my much dirtier one below. My 914 has been stored in my garage on blocks since 5/85 & I haven't started the clean-up process yet - so it's dirty! dry.gif

"Diamondback" style embossing on 2.0 EFI "Air Box" for GA000424 in VIN 4732901954:

Click to view attachment

Also note that there is a difference of crossbars & diamondback embossing on mine - vs. the one above, so even the complexity of that changed. Did anyone get an engine number for the one above back in 2006, to try to place it in the production sequence??

Here's what I believe that the embossing style progression on these Air Boxes" was - both from my own observations & from checking with my long time mechanics at Hans Imports in Huntington Beach, CA. FYI - Hans was factory trained on the 914s before he came to the USA & started his business in the early 70's, & he was a local legend for keeping 914s & VWs in good working order around Orange County, CA. The embossing is mainly to make the thin sheet metal more rigid, & perhaps somewhat for aesthetics early on as well.

Initial 2.0s with "Diamondback" embossed pattern 1972 to +/- mid or late 1973 production

Mid-run 2.0s with "Crossbars" embossing pattern (as in the 2nd post) started with late 73s or 74s

Later 2.0s had the "Smooth-top" boxes perhaps starting with the 75 GC engines

I'm not real sure about the dates & time span for each, but the time order of the progression is right. Their reason for doing so was apparently cost, because each was a progressively less complex stamping to non-embossed top, which of course each are progressively cheaper to create the stamping dies for production.

That was one of many steps Porsche was taking over the years to keep their advertised "teaser" starting price down on the 2.0s (& 1.7s/1.8s too).

Along those lines - as you all may already know - the 73 2.0 basically came "fully loaded" with the then "new" Fuchs 2.0 Alloys, full compliment of the Appearance & Performance Groups' sets of options - all for the 2.0's base price, & often a few other options, dealer installed radios, etc. at additional cost. However, starting in 1974 they made progressively more of the "standard 2.0 upgrades" from 1973 MY, into add-on options at additional price until virtually everything was optional by the end - even though most all of the 76 2.0s still came loaded!

It's just that they could advertise the 2.0s as "starting at $xxxx" - but just try finding one in later years at that base price! I know, because I looked at new MY 76 2.0s in Fall 75 before I bought mine used, plus I didn't like the fat black bumpers, lower power, more weight, etc. - as compared to the 73/74 2.0s.

So I ended up buying my 73 2.0 at 38 months old used for $4500 in Dec. 75 (after Hans had inspected it & given it his seal of approval) - instead of a new 75/76 for more $$$$ & ended up long term with a better car which holds/appreciates value better than any other 914 except the 914/6's. ...wow was that a lucky stroke!!!!

BTW - before I focused on 914s, I had done extensive research on performance, reliability, features/etc. & value retention between the MGB/MGC, Triumphs, Austin Healys, 240Z/260Z 912s & 914s. It came down to 240Z vs. 914, with the Z's only retaining +/- 70% of their new value, & 914s 80+%. It would be interesting to see how that has turned out long term today!?

Hope this adds something for everyone!? ...& not just my rambling on to myself!?
blink.gif

...and I sure hope I can get mine to look as good as that one above, when I get it all up to speed later this year! drooley.gif

Tom, This is GREAT! Way back in the back of my head, I had some recollection of the "crossbar", but couldn't place. Gave it up as some wierd thing I'd seen.

When I got my 72 1.7, the first 73 "S"'s were arriving. Couldn't afford it, but I did check them(it) out. I recall that it DID have a crossbar indent on what was (to me) a large airbox. Still couldn't afford it - 4200 was my max, so stayed with my 73 1.7.

Thanks for adding history Tom. One more notch against the posers.
Pat
Tom_T
[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='May 27 2009, 07:47 PM' post='1173728']
[quote name='Tom_T' post='1173658' date='May 27 2009, 06:13 PM']
[quote name='Pat Garvey' post='777173' date='Sep 20 2006, 06:23 PM']

[/quote]

Tom, This is GREAT! Way back in the back of my head, I had some recollection of the "crossbar", but couldn't place. Gave it up as some wierd thing I'd seen.

When I got my 72 1.7, the first 73 "S"'s were arriving. Couldn't afford it, but I did check them(it) out. I recall that it DID have a crossbar indent on what was (to me) a large airbox. Still couldn't afford it - 4200 was my max, so stayed with my 73 1.7.

Thanks for adding history Tom. One more notch against the posers.
Pat
[/quote]

You know Pat, I've always wondered why you went with a 72 1.7 in Spring of 72, when the word was out that the 2.0 was coming out in Aug/Sept 72!? idea.gif

But I totally understand, as that was sort of my decision in Fall 75 when they'd jacked up the slower 76 2Ls to $8000+ West Coast. My initial max was only $3500-$4000 for used (70% LTV for a 3 yr. max loan) or $7000 new (100% for a 5 yr. & lower interest loan), which both had about the same monthly payment.

However - after Hans said "...it was the strongest running 2L he'd seen..." & to go for it, then I ended up refiguring my budget, eating lotsa mac & cheese, and stretching for the $4500 price - after talking the seller down from $5000 due to the "missing" alloys, fog lights & center console! If I'd had the spare coin back then, then I would've picked up them back then, but they're actually somewhat easier to find now with more 914s coming off the road as it were.

Hey Pat, I saw another post that you were moving back to Cinci from Philly (Neum Vrerzuem's underbody coating & resto post) - did you ever do that?

BTW - my Kaulifornia Kar has what appears to be the factory PVC (vs the Parrafin based stuff used by dealers here) on mine, which looks black or dark grey. So I was looking at that post for how to approach mine. What did he end up doing? I'll do a sub-forum here soon with pix under mine, because I have that rust rot hole at the front pass-side pan repair question & the re-undercoating.
gms
I was thinking 1976 912 E
Tom_T
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 6 2009, 07:01 PM) *

I was thinking 1976 912 E

...for what???? confused24.gif WTF.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.