Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color codes L63E & L63K and L97G & L97H
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davep
L63E & L63K are codes for Willow green and L97G & L97H are codes used for Metallic gold used for 1971 and 1972 production. It seems two codes, each, were used for essentially the same colors. I'd like to define the period of use for each one. What you can do to help me is to provide the VIN, the paint code & the chassis # from the Karmann badge on the drivers door hinge post, and the date code from the decal on the door latch post.

I'd love to get the same info from ANY car you have access to.
davep
icon_bump.gif
Come on guys, don't be shy. There has to be a few cars with one of these paint codes out there, R Castro not included.
Scott H
I own a '72 that was originally L97G gold metallic.

It's now painted a horrible red, thanks to the PO. slap.gif

The VIN is 4722903407 and the chassis number is 4319577.
I think the door jamb sticker is gone. I'll try to remember to look tonight when I get home.

Hope this helps.
davep
Thanks, that is the earliest recorded use of the code. I have none with L97H yet.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 2 2006, 10:32 AM) *

I have none with L97H yet.

here you go ... '72 car with L97H ...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....;threadid=60299

bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 20 2006, 07:59 AM) *

L63E & L63K are codes for Willow green and L97G & L97H are codes used for Metallic gold used for 1971 and 1972 production. It seems two codes, each, were used for essentially the same colors.

hmm, maybe this is a hint (hail to google smiley_notworthy.gif )

L63K = Field Green
L97H = Gold Metallic Clearcoat

Field Green? Clearcoat?
confused24.gif Andy
SirAndy
one more ...

it looks like

L97G - Gold Metallic was only available from 1970 to July 1972 ...

could it be that L97H was the successor ?
idea.gif Andy
davep
Andy, add 4722919133 to the L97H in the list I gave you.
It would appear that L97H superceded L97G.

It would appear that L63E superceded L63K.
SirAndy
anotherone i found:

L80Z - Sahara Beige was available from 1973 to 1974

that is, from VW in general and not as a base color for the 914.
but, that also means that it was only available in those two years as a 98 color ...

smile.gif Andy
Scott H
QUOTE(Scott H @ Oct 2 2006, 11:42 AM) *
I think the door jamb sticker is gone. I'll try to remember to look tonight when I get home.

Yep .... no sticker on mine.
SirAndy
this shows all the available base-colors from VW from '70-'75 ...

smile.gif Andy

PS: i wonder what L63M - Hippie Green looks like ...
SirAndy
MORE UPDATES ...

check it out:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

i found a bunch of information about the availability of certain colors from VW and Porsche during the production years of the 914.
obviously, the custom colors could only have been available during the time that color was actually available.
i also found color samples for most of them ...

only 3 remain a mystery:

L63E = some sort of green. i need a color sample and available years ...

L67Z = police green, used on german police cars. i can get a fairly close color sample, but what years were they actually used by the police?

98/L98 Sepia Brown, i got a color sample, but still need the available years. i have references ranging from 70-74 and 72-76. which is correct?

idea.gif Andy
davep
Sepia brown was a 911 color. Nice chart.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 4 2006, 09:33 AM) *

Sepia brown was a 911 color. Nice chart.

yes. i found two different sources stating that sepia brown was available from 70-74 or from 72-76.

*not* for the 914 in particular but rather in general as a porsche color.

i tend to favor the latter as we know of at least one '76 car in sepia brown ...
smile.gif Andy
davep
I think what I have found is that the 98/L98 color is a known VW or Porsche color that the factory already had access to. It did not have to be a current production color. The 99 was a true custom color to match a customer supplied sample. The 98 or L98 is the same thing, Hans did it one way, and Fritz did it another way. The L98 is technically incorrect.

I would like to see you add in a third code column for the xxV9 codes. They were marketing codes that are found on COA's, color charts and other literature. It is a good way to cross reference the data on the COA to the correct color code on the Karmann badge.
East coaster
I had a '71 L97G that also was re-colored in a hideous red, but I can't find the VIN. If I stumble across it I'll send it to you though. I think the gold metalic would look great on a really nicely done car with highly polished or chrome 5-lug fuchs!
davep
icon_bump.gif
Time to bring this thread back. We need to find some more L97H, and another L63E if possible. These were used in 1972.
SirAndy
Still no direct proof of L63E, but some circumstantial evidence i collected ...

It seems, L63x (where x is a letter, not a number) was reserved for shades of green, below are the '70s Glasurit color codes i was able to verify:

L63H - Taigagrün
L63K - Weidengrün
L63M - Hippigrün
L63R - Saatengrün
L63Y - Manilagrün
L63Z - Spanischgrün

L63E would fit nicely in that list ...
idea.gif Andy
davep
I agree here also. However, why can we only find 6 to list out of 26 possible?
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 22 2008, 12:01 PM) *

I agree here also. However, why can we only find 6 to list out of 26 possible?

Those 6 i got from the Glasurit website.

I'm pretty sure VW/Audi had paint made by more than one supplier.
shades.gif Andy
Richard Casto
Andy,

Dave has the info about my L63E, but you may not have seen it...

http://motorsport.zyyz.com/project_914_01_03.htm

Short version is that the Porsche color chart says L63E = Willow Green, but the actual car looks to be Irish Green (darker than Willow) and the COA says Irish Green. It would be nice to find another L63E car to see what is going on.

You mentioned earlier about wanting sample of L63E, the page above has a photo of the cowl brace which is original paint. Car is going to be repainted to the original color. I am keeping both of the original cowl braces untouched and will be using replacements for the repaint.

Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.