Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This just TOO much Panorama Sept 2006
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
From this months Pano:

I'm having a devil of a time keeping my linen white interior capets clean, especially around the foot pedals, driver's side foot rest and door transom. I can shampoo and get the other areas clean with PS21 Total Wash and lots of water, but the area around the foot pedals continues to be grungy. Also, my carpet is beginning to mat up on the door transom and I try to brush it out to no avail. Any suggestions for cleaning as well as any clear type carpet protectors that I can use for daily driving, but pull off for concours?

The amazing thing is they print a polite answer. "I had this same problem with my 86 944 Turbo. There was no sane solution. I tried plastic like that offered on the clear bra, and pieces of rubber mat that I could when needed. I finally replaced the carpet with blackand lived happily ever after. Dark blue would be your carpet choice."

Why do I find it hard to believe these people occupy a spot on the same planet I do? For that matter, who was the idiot at Porsche who decided to offer white carpet? Is it me who is different? Why can't I understand white carpet in a car? barf.gif

Help me understand

Dave
MoveQik
I have the exact same probelm with the white leather I upholstered my gas pedal with. slap.gif
blitZ
Heaven forbid if they spill red wine on that carpet.

Gasp ohmy.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 20 2006, 02:37 PM) *

Heaven forbid if they spill red wine on that carpet.

Gasp ohmy.gif

And the melted cheese block on the passenger floor,

what to do, what to do mad.gif
Jenny
IPB Image

These will do wonders for keeping your linen-whites white. Plus they feel like heaven on your feet!

Jen
DNHunt
Maybe the problem I'm having with this is I'm not in touch with my feminine side.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Since you've breached the barrier regarding upscale stains and soiling, I'd like to add two. How to clean the peanut butter-and jelly residue out of the map pocket on the door and secondly, ever since I let a friend drive the 914 too quickly into a corner, only to have him lift and hit the brakes, the driver's side seat has a peculier smell in hot weather dry.gif , how can I deoderize it? rolleyes.gif
JPB
Easy answer! Get perfect white carpets to replace the soiled ones for show and use these for go bro!!!

beer.gif My shorts aren't even white!!!
BKLA
QUOTE(JPB @ Sep 20 2006, 03:44 PM) *

Easy answer! Get perfect white carpets to replace the soiled ones for show and use these for go bro!!!

beer.gif My shorts aren't even white!!!

way to much personal info!!!! sad.gif

biggrin.gif
JPB
QUOTE(Jenny @ Sep 20 2006, 06:05 PM) *

IPB Image

These will do wonders for keeping your linen-whites white. Plus they feel like heaven on your feet!

Jen

White sheep slippers and long legs? What are ya woman; EVIL??? happy11.gif

Lou W
In high school I had a friend with a very nice 69 Chevelle, he had the typical black carpeted floor mats over the carpet, and he would put white towels over the floor mats so the floor mats wouldn't get dirty. It actually was probably the cleanest DD that I have ever seen. blink.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
We had an old lady trade her Honda Accord in w/2 sets of carpet mats over the factory carpets. Towels over the rear parcel shelf., a terry wrapped s/w, and 2 sets of seat covers over the factory upholstery. As you'd imagine, the interior was perfect. Somebody bought that car before the sun set that day. I wonder if anyone kept a 914 that way?
Jenny
I have a pair of white reindeer slippers. And a pair of lamb slippers. The dogs run around my feet and try to herd them when I wear 'em. smile.gif

Jen
URY914
And people wonder why I'm not a PCA member anymore....
MoveQik
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 20 2006, 04:20 PM) *

and YOU wonder why people have carpet in their cars...afterall, it just adds weight. poke.gif
Jenny
So how do I keep the POR15 clean? Does Pano cover that?

Jen
URY914
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Sep 20 2006, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 20 2006, 04:20 PM) *

and YOU wonder why people have carpet in their cars...afterall, it just adds weight. poke.gif

What's carpet? confused24.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Jenny @ Sep 20 2006, 07:10 PM) *

I have a pair of white reindeer slippers. And a pair of lamb slippers.

You do know about this group and their sheep/goats don't you blink.gif biggrin.gif

BTW I have the same damned problem with the shag carpet in my van....shoulda gone with the red and black motif but it didn't go with the airbrushed artwork on the side. smile.gif
URY914
This is what I did to my car to protect the white carpet I got in my ride. My 'ho's was always messin' 'em up with dem motherfing heels they be werein'. mad.gif I put som plastic down. Also, it be makin' blood clean up easier.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 20 2006, 06:16 PM) *

Since you've breached the barrier regarding upscale stains and soiling, I'd like to add two. How to clean the peanut butter-and jelly residue out of the map pocket on the door and secondly, ever since I let a friend drive the 914 too quickly into a corner, only to have him lift and hit the brakes, the driver's side seat has a peculier smell in hot weather dry.gif , how can I deoderize it? rolleyes.gif

Peanut butter/jelly residue - remove door pocket, lick residue (from what, 25 years ago?), barf on driveway - done!
Driver's seat - liquid Beano spray. Spray on seat, let set for 5 minutes, lick off. Works well & keeps you from pharting (my spelling) for 24 hrs. But, it tastes like sh_t!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 20 2006, 07:03 PM) *

We had an old lady trade her Honda Accord in w/2 sets of carpet mats over the factory carpets. Towels over the rear parcel shelf., a terry wrapped s/w, and 2 sets of seat covers over the factory upholstery. As you'd imagine, the interior was perfect. Somebody bought that car before the sun set that day. I wonder if anyone kept a 914 that way?

Was that my mother? I just talked to her & she said her car had 12K miles on it (2000) & it was probably time to go! Believe it or not, she just put new tires on it! If she sell that before I get my hands on her , I'll...wait, she's 93 - not much of a threat.

All the "added's" sound about right though.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 20 2006, 08:18 PM) *

This is what I did to my car to protect the white carpet I got in my ride. My 'ho's was always messin' 'em up with dem motherfing heels they be werein'. mad.gif I put som plastic down. Also, it be makin' blood clean up easier.

RULE! I mean RULE! Sheaat
balljoint
PAT!!! av-943.gif av-943.gif chairfall.gif rocking nana.gif
maf914
Someone should ask Panorama what to do if they get WD-40 on their 911 paint! laugh.gif
mudfoot76
I also read that letter and wondered why would anyone put white carpet in a car blink.gif And if it is such a damn nuisance, take a page from the old lady and her Accord...

I don't mean to disrespect people who enjoy concours, but isn't the greatest joy of owning a Porsche achieved through driving it? I work to keep all my cars clean and unblemished, but since I drive them, I have accepted that the mats will get dirty, bug juice on the windshield, stone chips, etc... And since I drive my 914 on the track, I have a few long marks on the paint from tire clag. It doesn't make me happy, but that is just part of the deal for a car that is used for track time.

If that guy is so bent out of shape about dirt on his white interior, he should have the car hermetically sealed and on casters so that he can roll it on and off his trailer when going to a show.
Demick
He needs one of these.

eric914
Try carpet protector. You can get a roll at home depot. Its clear plastic with a light adhesive on the back. We just moved into a new house and used it to protect out light color carpets from the movers. When you are done just peel it off. A nice side benefit is it acts like a giant pet hair pick up when you peel it off.
Joe Ricard
I seen a few PCA guy show up a an SCCA AX and had more freaking tape on the car that Lowe's carries normal stock.
concentrated on driving the line to avoid cones.
Hell I hit the cone on purpose if it means taking a DNF of stuffing a cone dead center of the air dam.

I clean cone marks about once every couple months. When I get enough to make it worth while to clean em up.
Like Paul said "What Carpet"?
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Lou W @ Sep 20 2006, 03:57 PM) *

In high school I had a friend with a very nice 69 Chevelle, he had the typical black carpeted floor mats over the carpet, and he would put white towels over the floor mats so the floor mats wouldn't get dirty. It actually was probably the cleanest DD that I have ever seen. blink.gif

At my high school, a friend poured the monthly rent he received from the Maui condo his grandmother gave him into his Mopars. (He was the exception..no, we weren't all "rich kids"..).

"Ben", I said, why aren't you driving the 'Cuda to school today.... to his reply...

"It rained yesterday, then I'd have to climb under the car and clean, wax and polish the undercarriage again"....
Brian Mifsud
Ihad a similarly anal retentive attitude in high school for my '69 Beetle.. in fact, here's the letter I wrote to "Hot VW's"..

Dear Editor,

I've having a devil of a time getting large white streaks off of the paint job on my Cobalt Blue '69 Beetle. My fellow football team-mate had a bit too much to drink at one of our parties. I sensed the urgency of his illness as we drove down El Camino Real in Burlingame and yelled: "Wally! open the window and puke outside"... Much to my chagrin, Walter did indeed successfully wind the window down, but was not able to fully negotiate his chin at the proper angle to vent the evenings libations fully outboard of the car. My best efforts to hit large puddles at speed to wash the spittle off were inadequate in fully washing the material off of the door. As a result, I have these white streaks where the paint has been "damaged" to say the least.

Can you help me.?
Will a bit of polish work?

I understand that anything made by "Wurth" is nectar of the gods.... do they make a puke neutralizer?
VaccaRabite
I know that I keep a special pair of driving shoes for whenever I get in my car. Kinda the same principle as on a boat. Driving shoes don't touch the tarmac, street shoes don't touch the interior of my car.

Its way easier to keep the car clean.

And, yes, I do make my passengers take thier shoes off when they get in the car. Not usually a problem, as I don't normally have passengers. alfred.gif

The hook is set. Who will take the bait... ?

Zach
SGB
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 21 2006, 01:39 PM) *

I don't normally have passengers. alfred.gif

Zach

HAHAHA. Hey Zach, you got me by the Gill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.