Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GGR AX #8 at Candlestick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
DanT
Who is planning on coming out to our road course AX at the stick. biggrin.gif

Yes we have elevation changes and surface imperfections sad.gif
But who cares....

Need to test out my rebuilt rear calipers....

It would be nice to see a big turn out of 914s since the "stick" is a very central location for most folks in the Bay Area.

Quite talking about driving your car and do it.... biggrin.gif

Who might be considering coming out to play? driving.gif driving.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 20 2006, 04:51 PM) *

But who cares....

It would be nice to see a big turn out of 914s since the "stick" is a very central location for most folks in the Bay Area.

I'm towing the timing trailer and maybe bringing the 944 for Loren.
Trekkor
I'm "iffy"...

KT
nine14cats
I'll be in New York and won't be able to make it.

Bill P.
nebreitling
i'd come down and watch, but I'm planning on racing at thunderhill that day... smile.gif
DanT
Wow, bummer guys....guess it is going to be up to me and "orange julius" to uphold the banner besides the smurfmobile.
grantsfo
Birthdays, anniversaries, new tranny's will likely keep me away. However I may just show up.
DanT
sad.gif blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 20 2006, 09:43 PM) *

sad.gif blink.gif

My heart is in it but I work until 10pm the night before and I would have to get up at 0 dark thirty to get there... I could happen. We will see.

Steve_7x
Dan... I have conflicts and will not be there. Hope to see you at the Zone event late in October...

Steve
DanT
icon_bump.gif poke.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 20 2006, 04:51 PM) *

But who cares....

Ok... Now I may have to come down. I won a car show last weekend with the Submarine and I think I need to autocross just so I can get that yucky taste out of my mouth... And just so the car doesn't start thinking it is a show car... Tentatively in... smile.gif
grantsfo
Anyone know what the course is going to look like? If I show it will be in the big black sedan. No point in showing if its going to be a tight 914 course.
DanT
Grant and others. The course is now posted on the GGR website. www.pca-ggr.org
Chris Pincetich
Nice...the right side looks like 2 Easter Island heads on top of each other.
There is a 0-25% chance I will be there. What time does registration start/end? Are loaner helmets available (size M)? beerchug.gif
DanT
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Sep 27 2006, 06:58 PM) *

Nice...the right side looks like 2 Easter Island heads on top of each other.
There is a 0-25% chance I will be there. What time does registration start/end? Are loaner helmets available (size M)? beerchug.gif

Registration is ~7:30-8:30am loaner helmets available....
Instruction always available...

grantsfo
I cant tell if thats going to favor cars with power or not? What do you think?
DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 27 2006, 08:24 PM) *

I think it has a little of both (911/914) dry.gif

But I think HP may have the upper hand since a lot of the straights are preceded by low speed turns.... HP and torque will be an advantage...but as always...
what we see on the map may not be what we end up with.
Look at our last course at Alamada. Appeared to be a HP course unti we set it up and slowed it down in a couple of places by order of the Chair of the event.

I am going to be helping with setup again...so I will put in my two cents worth for any advantage I think might help my little putput... biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 27 2006, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 27 2006, 08:24 PM) *

I think it has a little of both (911/914) dry.gif

But I think HP may have the upper hand since a lot of the straights are preceded by low speed turns.... HP and torque will be an advantage...but as always...
what we see on the map may not be what we end up with.
Look at our last course at Alamada. Appeared to be a HP course unti we set it up and slowed it down in a couple of places by order of the Chair of the event.

I am going to be helping with setup again...so I will put in my two cents worth for any advantage I think might help my little putput... biggrin.gif

Great...now that Fritz has been forced into retirement with a AX career ending injury....we get a HP course.... blink.gif

I'll be back........... laugh.gif

Bill P.
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 27 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Road race.
DanT
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 27 2006, 10:34 PM) *

Road race.

I think your assessment may be very close Randal dry.gif

Are you going to show with the 944?
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 28 2006, 05:09 PM) *

Road race.

I think your assessment may be very close Randal dry.gif

Are you going to show with the 944?

The 944 timing is up to my son, i.e., wanting this to be a joint thing, not just old Dad taking off and racing the car.

Although looking at that course my judgment is waning.
grantsfo
Can I take 3 instructors to help me out? LOL! I'm going to see if I can sneak away in the Mazda Speed 6. Was supposed to have after bitrthday brunch with my mother in law, but I'm taking her out on her birthday the night before.
DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 28 2006, 07:59 PM) *

Can I take 3 instructors to help me out? LOL! I'm going to see if I can sneak away in the Mazda Speed 6. Was supposed to have after bitrthday brunch with my mother in law, but I'm taking her out on her birthday the night before.

4 in a sedan has been done before biggrin.gif dry.gif
Chris Hamilton
We'll be there tomorrow.
DanT
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Sep 29 2006, 08:19 PM) *

We'll be there tomorrow.

I would have been surprised if you weren't there smile.gif

I'll be there bright (foggy) well at least early....for set up.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 29 2006, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Sep 29 2006, 08:19 PM) *

We'll be there tomorrow.

I would have been surprised if you weren't there smile.gif

I'll be there bright (foggy) well at least early....for set up.

Sorry Dan,

I got an offer to have my silver car used for a paintless dent repair demo... It only has two small dents and they are going to go bye bye...
DanT
was a good day at the Stick...
course was much more busy and tight than it appeared on the map....per usual smile.gif

Only 3 914s out of about 80+ cars. Myself, AndrewB in the Smurfmobile and BillD in his '73 914.

Andrew did a 49 and change
I was at a 55.8 and left after 6 total runs....my competition in AX11 a 964 (running 9.5 and 8 inch rims, a chip and aftermarket exhaust), and a 944S2 were not up to my times. Actually I had them covered by my 3rd run in the AM but stuck around to see how they did in their PM runs. Had both covered by about 2 or more seconds. And no, I have no idea how a basically stock 914 2.0L ends up in the same class as a very stout 964. But then again I am not the one on the short end of the results stick biggrin.gif
If I were him I would be checking my car to see if there was anything to protest...there isn't. burnout.gif
Trekkor
Gotta love that. clap56.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 30 2006, 08:54 PM) *

was a good day at the Stick...
course was much more busy and tight than it appeared on the map....per usual smile.gif

Only 3 914s out of about 80+ cars. Myself, AndrewB in the Smurfmobile and BillD in his '73 914.

Andrew did a 49 and change
I was at a 55.8 and left after 6 total runs....my competition in AX11 a 964 (running 9.5 and 8 inch rims, a chip and aftermarket exhaust), and a 944S2 were not up to my times. Actually I had them covered by my 3rd run in the AM but stuck around to see how they did in their PM runs. Had both covered by about 2 or more seconds. And no, I have no idea how a basically stock 914 2.0L ends up in the same class as a very stout 964. But then again I am not the one on the short end of the results stick biggrin.gif
If I were him I would be checking my car to see if there was anything to protest...there isn't. burnout.gif

Clearly youre not aware of the special handling dust that sits in all 914's making them far superior to 964's. biggrin.gif Great job! Sorry I missed running today I couldnt get out of family obligations.
DanT
thanks Trek and Grant...

I thought that was just regular old dust sad.gif

Maybe there is something to that dust afterall. biggrin.gif
Randal

Road race.

Well it ended up being a very tight and busy course, even though it was laid out over a huge huge area.

A real negative was that all the course workers were first timers, excluding Dan and myself.

What is happening as the course gets laid out is that people in the club's "upper echelons" walking the course make comments and or changes at will.

If you look at Paul's design there were straights everywhere between fairly open corners, so with the right line speed could be retained.

The final layout ended up being very distinctive corners with very little straights anywhere, so the course designers desire to have a course that flowed ended up being exactly the opposite.

As usual experience in laying out (physically) a course makes all the difference. If Hank Watts is in the truck cab telling you where to go, while people in the back are throwing out cones, the course always seems to flow and miss all the terrible spots at Candlestick.

Next time I design a course I'm making sure no changes are made in the layout unless it is discussed in advance.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 1 2006, 11:46 AM) *

Next time I design a course I'm making sure no changes are made in the layout unless it is discussed in advance.

Well no shit........I'm glad (in a perverse way) that I'm not the only one that fights that battle monthly.

I like a smooth (free of lumps smooth) and flowing course with safety being foremost regardless of length or time to negociate. Many folks can't "see" ground and don't understand why an area is avoided. We also keep the course workers in mind with regard to keeping cones to a minimum and thus keeping things moving along with minimal cone shagging. This also allows the drivers to freelance a bit.

That said, there are a "few" rolleyes.gif discussions amongst "the crew" during set up and we are open to suggestions from others.....maybe 20-30% of which are implemented.....many are responded to with "If you want input, get your ass out here and help with the grunt work".
We have from 7 till 9ish to get set up.....no time to fuck around.....tempers have been know to flare, feelings get hurt...yada. Cones being moved without the consent of "the crew" will get ya a non-PC tongue lashing. Someone has to be in charge & play hard ass on occasion.....no joy from me here, in fact, I've just about had my fill of it.

I actually like AXing with the SCCA crowd better. Show up early, help if asked, drive, and go home. There's even a bit of time to swap lies. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 1 2006, 01:16 PM) *

Well no shit........I'm glad (in a perverse way) that I'm not the only one that fights that battle monthly.

I like a smooth (free of lumps smooth) and flowing course with safety being foremost regardless of length or time to negociate. Many folks can't "see" ground and don't understand why an area is avoided. We also keep the course workers in mind with regard to keeping cones to a minimum and thus keeping things moving along with minimal cone shagging. This also allows the drivers to freelance a bit.

That said, there are a "few" rolleyes.gif discussions amongst "the crew" during set up and we are open to suggestions from others.....maybe 20-30% of which are implemented.....many are responded to with "If you want input, get your ass out here and help with the grunt work".
We have from 7 till 9ish to get set up.....no time to fuck around.....tempers have been know to flare, feelings get hurt...yada. Cones being moved without the consent of "the crew" will get ya a non-PC tongue lashing. Someone has to be in charge & play hard ass on occasion.....no joy from me here, in fact, I've just about had my fill of it.

I actually like AXing with the SCCA crowd better. Show up early, help if asked, drive, and go home. There's even a bit of time to swap lies. biggrin.gif

"Someone has to be in charge & play hard ass on occasion" How right that is.

DanT
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 1 2006, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 1 2006, 01:16 PM) *

"Someone has to be in charge & play hard ass on occasion" How right that is.

Randal, I agree with your sentiment. Although Candlestick presents other challenges with terrain and such.

Too much of everyone wanting to be a nice guy to keep newbies coming back. Meanwhile, courses are being constantly changed by folks that were not part of the set up crew. It seems to happen at every event. Other than safety aspects we should respect the designer's vision.

Problem with that is that we have folks that are designing courses with little experience and even less knowledge of our rules with respect to dimensions and safety.

On yesterdays course, there were several of the corners on the back side that were less than 18' after Paul had set it up.. sad.gif dry.gif

That is a problem....
grantsfo
I have to say I really haven't been to many GGR events where the course didn't have that "coney" unintuitive feel. It always feels like somone has setup the course up to trick drivers.

Trekkor
It always feels like somone has setup the course up to trick drivers.

I can't stand that.

That last course Randal did was amazing and flowed very well.
We should run sucessful courses more than once.

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 1 2006, 10:12 PM) *

I can't stand that.

KT

Yesterdays course was not that bad. The candlestick surface was more agrivating than the course. Yes it was busy but certainly not "tricky". smile.gif
between the bumps and the lack of traction (yes traction problems even with a tired 2.0L) the surface was more of a challenge than the course. It pretty much turned the same way most of the time on the left side and the right side was mostly a series of left right flicks biggrin.gif at least for my 914. smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 1 2006, 10:51 PM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 1 2006, 10:12 PM) *

I can't stand that.

KT

Yesterdays course was not that bad. The candlestick surface was more agrivating than the course. Yes it was busy but certainly not "tricky". smile.gif
between the bumps and the lack of traction (yes traction problems even with a tired 2.0L) the surface was more of a challenge than the course. It pretty much turned the same way most of the time on the left side and the right side was mostly a series of left right flicks biggrin.gif at least for my 914. smile.gif

Lets remember culture and perspective Dan, what doesn't feel tricky to you might be a maze to about 75% of the people there. You are experienced and an instructor. A couple of us SVR autocrossers were having pizza one evening and we almost organized a black ops mission to steal half of GGR's cones and sink them in the Bay! biggrin.gif I know now that I have begun using my new to me six that what feels wide open in the four can feel claustraphobic in the six. You use a lot more course and instead of a momentum car you have a power and momentum car.

It would be so cool to go to an event at Alameda with that table flat surface and have a course that was fast and flowing with a two lap run to get the tires hot.

As for your discussion about people changing the course that is terrible! Only a safety steward should overrule the course designer and eventmaster. EVER!
grantsfo
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 2 2006, 09:19 AM) *

A couple of us SVR autocrossers were having pizza one evening and we almost organized a black ops mission to steal half of GGR's cones and sink them in the Bay! biggrin.gif

LOL! Where do I sign up for covert ops? "Busy" = lots of useless cones used to confuse people.

On a seperate and more serious note did you see that Alan Jung in a stock Cayman S placed 2nd. WOW! Was his car really stock with street tires?

DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 2 2006, 10:09 AM) *

A couple of us SVR autocrossers were having pizza one evening and we almost organized a black ops mission to steal half of GGR's cones and sink them in the Bay! biggrin.gif

LOL! Where do I sign up for covert ops? "Busy" = lots of useless cones used to confuse people.

On a seperate and more serious note did you see that Alan Jung in a stock Cayman S placed 2nd. WOW! Was his car really stock with street tires?

Yes, street tires and factory suspension PASM I am sure smile.gif
Alan was in my Boxster instructional group at the Zone AX. He has been AXing a Honda Civic in SCCA for years. Just got the Lizard this year and is quite a good driver as you can see.
This is what I have been maintaning for some time now....that a well driven Boxster or Cayman could be a TTOD contender.

The results appear to have the usual suspects in the top 20.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 2 2006, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 2 2006, 10:09 AM) *

Yes, street tires and factory suspension PASM I am sure smile.gif
Alan was in my Boxster instructional group at the Zone AX. He has been AXing a Honda Civic in SCCA for years. Just got the Lizard this year and is quite a good driver as you can see.
This is what I have been maintaning for some time now....that a well driven Boxster or Cayman could be a TTOD contender.

The results appear to have the usual suspects in the top 20.

We had a guy in a stock CaymanS show up early this year for his first autocross and do quite well... A very good chassis I think...
DanT
Just went over the points totals for season end trophies. At the next AX I can finish 5th or higher and win the season for my Class AX 11.
Since I have not placed lower than first so far this season it looks like I should have it in the bag failing any car issues at the last event.
Last event of the season might not be heavily attended since most of the classes have already been decided.
I need to be there since I only have 4 events for the seaon and you need to have results in a minimum of 5 of the total of 9 events. Got the street Michelins ready on my Empi looks in case we have wet weather for #9.

Lets see if we can get a bunch of 914s out for the last GGR event of 2006. biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 2 2006, 04:25 PM) *

Just went over the points totals for season end trophies. At the next AX I can finish 5th or higher and win the season for my Class AX 11.
Since I have not placed lower than first so far this season it looks like I should have it in the bag failing any car issues at the last event.
Last event of the season might not be heavily attended since most of the classes have already been decided.
I need to be there since I only have 4 events for the seaon and you need to have results in a minimum of 5 of the total of 9 events. Got the street Michelins ready on my Empi looks in case we have wet weather for #9.

Lets see if we can get a bunch of 914s out for the last GGR event of 2006. biggrin.gif

For the last event of 2006 Randal and I will be out there mid-engined...but I can't say it will be a 914.... happy11.gif

Bill P.
DanT
Hey Bill,
I am anxious to see your Boxster. Do you want to try out that gutted muffler?
If so let me know when I can meet you over at Sportech to get it and try it out....
Are you going to have sticky tires on it for the last event? I see that Ken J is selling his 17s with Kumhos on them for a very good price. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Bill, Make sure to put some bigger tires on the front end of that thing. Boxster's push like pigs with stock front tire size in most AX venues.
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 2 2006, 04:52 PM) *

Bill, Make sure to put some bigger tires on the front end of that thing. Boxster's push like pigs with stock front tire size in most AX venues.

If I have time to get the following on the car:

245/45/17's up front...275/40/17's rear...
Tarrett Front and Rear Adjustable swaybars...
Tarrett Adjustable toe links rear...
GT3 Adjustable Lower Control Arms...
PSS9's...
3.0+ degrees of negative camber...
Slammed...

I think she'll turn.... happy11.gif

Wait till you see the custom TonyC cage going in....
And all the gutting of the interior that will happen over the winter...
And...and...and...and...

Barrick - Pickering Racing......we be insane! laugh.gif

nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 2 2006, 04:34 PM) *

Hey Bill,
I am anxious to see your Boxster. Do you want to try out that gutted muffler?
If so let me know when I can meet you over at Sportech to get it and try it out....
Are you going to have sticky tires on it for the last event? I see that Ken J is selling his 17s with Kumhos on them for a very good price. biggrin.gif

Hi Dan,

Yes, I'd like to set up time to get the gutted muffler to try out. And I'll have Victoracers on the car for initial suspension sorting. I want as long a wearing Dot-R as I can get during the initial sorting out.

We're hoping to trot out the car for the AX and then test out the car on the track at Sears on November 12th. We will most likely then take the car down for the winter and install the cage, seats and other items.

Thanks,

Bill P.
DanT
Just let me know....if I can't get there at the same time as you, I can always give Mark a call and let him know you are coming to get it for a test spin. biggrin.gif

Are you going to try to get all that suspension stuff done by the end of Oct for GGR #9?

If you are going to be doing most of the install, let me know since I have done a bit of wrench turning on mine a couple of friends Boxsters.

You will want to get either a B&M or a Schnell shifter along with those other goodies. biggrin.gif

Are those the tires and wheels you got from BillD?

Is there enough tread on those tires for any AXing or are you going to get some new tires. Right now Tirerack has very limited supplies of Kumho Victoracers. I guess it is the end of the season shortage. confused24.gif

If you are planning on getting 245 and 275s on there you will be using some custom aftermarket wheels?

this is going to be way cool thumb3d.gif

Instructor nametag and helmet ready for duty biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 2 2006, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 2 2006, 04:25 PM) *

For the last event of 2006 Randal and I will be out there mid-engined...but I can't say it will be a 914.... happy11.gif

Bill P.

I used to refer to mine as a late model 914... driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.