Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restored 914-6 on EBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...029583007QQrdZ1

Check this out! A beautifully restored 914-6 - ruined!

Let's do a judging spec on this car, because someone screwed up a potentially great 914-6. It's real. It's freshly re-done. Remeber this - the seller says it' a 95 point car! We all know what it takes to be a 95 point car.

Judge away. My take & I'm a purist, as you know. 80-82 points.

Remember, this IS a nice six! Done wrong.
sixerdon
I could write a very long page on what is not original to that car, but I'm just not into bashing someone else's car for sale. If the owner asked me to consult them, or a potential buyer, then I would oblige in kind. Whoever buys the car hopefully knows that it's not correct in many areas, but.........
As long as they don't show up in a PCA full concours and I'm one of the judges, or a competitor, enjoy the ride.
I will say this though, that engine has been tampered with.

Don
What do you think the reserve price is,I would say 30-35K? Air cleaner box wrong,Interior Consle wrong,Gages wrong,I look at this as not ripping there six apart but a learning experiance.
tod914
Looks like a beautiful facilities they have there. Love the E-Types!
Pat Garvey
My intent was not to bash the car, because it IS a decent job. My intent was to bash the seller. Why, because he's falsely advertising something & I REALLY, REALLY hate that. The seller says this is a "95 point" car! That's the lie - yeah, I said it. The seller is lying, though he MAY not know it, because I have serious doubts that they know squat about 914's!

They purport to be a specialty car company & restoration facility with 30 years experience. Experience at what? Not knowing the cars they sell. They probably know a little about a lot, but not a lot about anything.

From the pics, I can't fault them on body & paint work - looks great. But you can't tell me they didn't know a center console was wrong on the car - they probably bought it for the owner & had to know it wasn't right for a six.

95 point car? How about 80-85 AT BEST. Too bad, because it could have been a 95 point car. At least most of the problems can be removed, but I'll bet someone overpays.

Sorry, had to vent - I HATE LIARS!
914-8
A lot of concours events, including most PCA events outside of the Parade (like regional events), don't take strict originality in account. I think his rating is a rating of the condition.

One thing that is odd to me, though, is the lack of a hand throttle. I thought all factory -6s had a hand throttle lever, next to the shift lever. I see the heater lever in the pics, but no hand throttle.
boxstr
Maybe you would be better off contacting the seller and tell them of their short comings, and how they can be corrected. Just a thought.
dcheek
I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy but the first thing I noticed was in the first picture of the restoration. Wouldn't you remove the Fuchs wheels so as not to hammer them up during restoration??? I would at least find a set of snot wheels to push it around the shop. When I see this I immediately begin to question the quality of the finished product.

I'm always suspect of any restoration. Nobody builds them as good as the factory. Period! That's why I prefer a good original (with the cooresponding "patina") rather than a resto. And, if you do the restoration yourself, you are upside down with what you put into it vs. what you can sell it for.

Which brings us to this car. It probably is very nice, even with the incorrect pieces on it to the non concours person. To the potential owner, just keep that in mind and you will enjoy as a nice weekend driver and local multi-marque show attendee. Trouble is you will be spending top top dollar for something it isn't, and that's a 95 point car.

I'm curious as to what the final winning bid will be. My guess is it will not meet the reserve. Did I mention upside down before?

Dave
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 22 2006, 09:09 AM) *

I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy but the first thing I noticed was in the first picture of the restoration. Wouldn't you remove the Fuchs wheels so as not to hammer them up during restoration??? I would at least find a set of snot wheels to push it around the shop. When I see this I immediately begin to question the quality of the finished product.

I'm always suspect of any restoration. Nobody builds them as good as the factory. Period! That's why I prefer a good original (with the cooresponding "patina") rather than a resto. And, if you do the restoration yourself, you are upside down with what you put into it vs. what you can sell it for.

Which brings us to this car. It probably is very nice, even with the incorrect pieces on it to the non concours person. To the potential owner, just keep that in mind and you will enjoy as a nice weekend driver and local multi-marque show attendee. Trouble is you will be spending top top dollar for something it isn't, and that's a 95 point car.

I'm curious as to what the final winning bid will be. My guess is it will not meet the reserve. Did I mention upside down before?

Dave

Thanks Dave! I thought maybe I was the only one who had objections to the "95 point" quote on this car. Yeppir, it's very nice, but it's a driver. Look at the bottom - jeez! no one even made an attempt to make this a 95 point car!

OK, I've vented again! Man, I hate it when people portray a car as something it's not even close to being. Even more so when they don't know what they're talking about.
sixerdon
So at $28.1K it did not meet reserve. What would a proper six sell for if this HAD been done right.

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 22 2006, 11:26 PM) *

So at $28.1K it did not meet reserve. What would a proper six sell for if this HAD been done right.

Don

This is MY opinion, & those of you have been on this Forum for a while know - I AM opinionated & express no regret for it.

At $28K, these guys are greedy, or way upside down in this car. When it was at $22 I thought it was about right, for THIS car. Restored, or preserved to perfection, I think a proper 914-6, stock & ready for concours (I'd be willing to give it 60-80 hrs of detailing) is currently a $25K car (remember, this is ME). This particular car had not been detailed underneath & is full of non-original items, though still looks like a great 914-6. It was right at $22k only because the wrongs could be undone, but it was still in need of a serious 200 hr detailing.

Yeah, I'd pay $25K for the right six, but only because I've wanted one badly for 25 years. Once again, MY opinion.

Flame on if you care - I'm wearing Nomex.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 23 2006, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 22 2006, 11:26 PM) *

Don

This is MY opinion, & those of you have been on this Forum for a while know - I AM opinionated & express no regret for it.

At $28K, these guys are greedy, or way upside down in this car. When it was at $22 I thought it was about right, for THIS car. Restored, or preserved to perfection, I think a proper 914-6, stock & ready for concours (I'd be willing to give it 60-80 hrs of detailing) is currently a $25K car (remember, this is ME). This particular car had not been detailed underneath & is full of non-original items, though still looks like a great 914-6. It was right at $22k only because the wrongs could be undone, but it was still in need of a serious 200 hr detailing.

Yeah, I'd pay $25K for the right six, but only because I've wanted one badly for 25 years. Once again, MY opinion.

Flame on if you care - I'm wearing Nomex.

Help Help!!!!I pasted and could not find it???
Went thru the normal channels too...
I do have my departed friends late 71/6..Irish Green
@ 25G$..Could get over there to get a video??

Still= is that 6 still up??
Added note...I hate liars too..
BUT in their defense ..some of them are clueless..
And they go on the word of know it alls or their neighbor..
that had a 914 years ago and they
KNOW ALLLLLLL ABOUT THOSE CARS?????!!!!!
After 50 or so emails to 914 sellers= parts/ cars /n otherwise on ebay
I had to give up being the 914 'Truth Police'...BTW...
>>>>>DEALERS WERE THE WORST<<<<<<
boxstr
A restored 914-6 that recently sold for asking price. $27.5k Lots of NOS parts.
CCL
*kennyd*914
I had asked their asking price on the car as it sat on the lot .... their answer back was $45K.

Good Luck with that!!
I should ask them if they had a buyer for my 1.8L willing to pay $25K.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(*kennyd*914 @ Oct 2 2006, 09:34 PM) *

I had asked their asking price on the car as it sat on the lot .... their answer back was $45K.

Good Luck with that!!
I should ask them if they had a buyer for my 1.8L willing to pay $25K.

$45? For that?

I would add that this world is truely screwed, except they still have the car. I wonder just how greedy they'll be next time? Wouldn't surprise me to see it at a major auction & hopefully scorned.

Nice car w/unboltable problems. Greedy bastards, though!
Bleyseng
at $28k they should have sold it! $45k no way..........
914werke
Nobody builds them as good as the factory. Period!
What a bunch of shiet! The Factory was just that..a production line. Any restored car would have a greater focus on fit finish function.

And, if you do the restoration yourself, you are upside down with what you put into it vs. what you can sell it for
Then you either dont know what your doing or your doing it for the wrong reason. pissoff.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.