Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting: Old Type Gun vs. New HVLP Gun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I have access to an older professional paint gun used prior to the introduction of the new "green" guns.

Assuming of course that this is hypothetical, idea.gif are there any differences in spray technique, paint to use, or result between these two type guns. i plan on spraying a one part polyurethane.

Don't have a pic but the paint bottle is on the bottom and holds aboput a quart.
sean_v8_914
conventional gun will lay a thick cloud of paint haze into the air. it gets on everything and if you dont have a paint booth, your neighbors wikll hate you. HVLP can be used in a modestly prepared driveway area without the neighbors getting fogged out.
TimT
You will use less paint with a HVLP... or rather your gallon or quart of paint will go further. You will make less of a mess (overspray) with a HVLP.

That said some hobbiest compressors cant keep up with a HVLP ( high volume low pressure). some guns need as much as 15 cfm @ 40 psi etc.

Ive almost completed spraying my 911 using a even newer type gun LVLP ( low volume low pressure). This new gun is fantastic, Im using it as a dedicated clearcoat gun. I have a DeVilbiss Finish Line I use for primer and color coats.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/LVLP.htm

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astr...-%20EVO4014.htm

Mark Henry
The new guns are about 25% slower in applying the paint. If you've never used a gun (or it's been a long time) you won't notice it.
If you have used the old guns a lot, you have to learn to slow down.
URY914
As far as the paint itself, there is no differance as far as I know. When I buy paint I've never been asked what kind of gun I'm using.
Joe Bob
It's a combo air pollution/paint saving device.......the old guns are pretty much illegal to use in most professional shops and depending on where you live not for hobbyists as well.

Less overspray equals less mess, pollution and more paint on the car.....saving the environment as well as your pocket book.

It's a different painting technique and the "sound" is different.
URY914
Yes, you know us 914 owners are all about saving Mother Earth. Our cars blow out about 1000x more crap in the air than a new car. But please be clean when painting it. wacko.gif
Joe Bob
Ahem....since I do this for as living, I will explain it to you. It's NOT about the emissions, it's the cluster. Do you wanna live down wind from a paint booth that spews out toxic isocyanates 24/7?

Or would you like them to be contained in the area they are sprayed?

Your choice.
Bleyseng
Gawd, use the new HVLP guns! I did my 914 right before the WCC in my gravel driveway. No clouds of overspray! 95% of the paint goes on the car, its easier to use, paint control is amazing.

I used a small compressor too!
Shoot slowly as you can really lay on the paint and you want to shoot on a nice even coat of paint without runs.

Here a pic of it all done
smdubovsky
You guys missed THE biggest advantage: A gravity fed hvlp gun can have a baggie put in it (there is a kit for the devilbiss finishline guns - surely for others too.) Allows you to spray UPSIDE DOWN. Now, you think: who cares? Well, it allows you to turn the gun sideways / up / down / around for the doors / rockers / fender lips / etc without a care in the world. Pull the trigger and paint comes out. No leaks, no mess, no fuss.

It also takes 95% of the mess out of the cleanup. Remove air, turn gun upside down, pull trigger while tugging on baggie (sucks paint back out of nozzle), finally yank baggie out & dispose. I'd bet less than 5-6 drops of paint remain in the gun. Reattach air, spray some thinner though the gun, and you're done in about 60s. Its 'da bomb compared to the old bottom feeder cup types.

The paint baggie is the technological equivalent of sliced bread. Simple, but you'll never go back...

SMD
bd1308
Hmm, I love the smell of isocynates in the morning.
TimT
You guys missed THE biggest advantage: A gravity fed hvlp gun can have a baggie put in it

Werd up yo

Dont buy the "baggie kit" from any of the manufacturers, its a rip off.

I use ziploc bags, and snip the corner of the bag, and hold the bag in the cup with one of those mini-strainers.

Like was mentioned above cleanup is easy peasy, and you can shoot anywhere
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.