Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 1.7L doesn't sell at $19K?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
So what is with the prices of 914s lately?

1973 1.7L doesn't sell for $19k?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

A 916 does not sell for $199k?

When did Z becomes a CW? confused24.gif
TROJANMAN
i know that 1.7
it was a reallllly nice car, but not perfect.
$19k + was a a nice price to sell at, especially considering what he paid for it only a year ago, and the fact that it;s a 1.7

jeff, makes your grasshopper look like a down right steal
ptravnic
I thought it had peaked last night when it was ~ $14K. I mean nice original 6's go for ~ $20! Then maybe a 73 or 74 2.0L w/appearance packages but a 73 1.7L?

WTF.gif

I guess some crazy bastards will pay up for the ability to say "all original". I place these types of people in the same bucket as the "how do I clean my white interior carpet" crowd...

confused24.gif
Hammy
It's because the number of cars is dropping by the day.
What's there to get? confused24.gif
bd1308
My car is worth more because CA keeps losing cars to the metal cutters?

cool
914rat
I think I would of taken the $$$$.I just don't see a 1.7 car being worth that.I guess somebody did.
Dr Evil
Its Steve Iverson's car, he is a member here. I am supprised at the $$ it is getting, but good for him.
JPB
They drop a magazine article and the craze starts. Fixer uppers are still plentifull but great ones have always been rare.

beer.gif Still not bad compared to what they will go for in five years and then the bust when they will all be scrapped from the advent of superconducted hover rods!!!
siverson
Hi - yes, it's my car, and yes, I know I'll hate myself for selling this car in a couple years.

Re: the price:

- 1. It's not sold yet, and when it does, I'll leave it up to the buyer to disclose the selling price if they choose.

- 2. It would cost a lot more than $22k to buy and restore a 914 to this condition. Ask anyone who has done it (including myself on another car). And there is a big difference between really nice 914s and near perfect 914s.

- 3. I also believe that the car will be worth more than its current selling price in 5 years.

-Steve
tod914
I recall that 73 Italian 1.7 going for $21K or so roughly 5 years ago. 7K miles, never dealer prepped. Maybe it's time to test the waters on Ebay. Good luck with your sale Steve. Your right, not many in that condition come up often. Can only go up over time.
Robert21
agree.gif I agree with Steve, i had my car for 4 years. it was not a good
car to start with bad engine, body , in side was bad. Didn,t know
anything about 914s then. Cost me more than $14,000 to get the car
i have now. I,am still doing things to the car. its a 2.0 motor started
with a 1.7 that i had rebulid by a guy that knew less about motor
than i did $4000 for shit. I will never sell it . leave it to my son .

Robert21
ptravnic
Those that are new to 914's generally tend to overspend.

Example: a cleaned/flow tested fuel injector ($12-$15 for the service from reputable shop) is in no way noticeably different from a brand new $250 fuel injector. So, $60 vs $1,000 for a set that does the exact same thing. And that's just one gross example.

Granted, when I first got into 914's I would have thought new injectors is the only way to go. Oh, if I only knew then what I know now...

On the other hand, $1,000 means different things to different folks... But, a politician once said "a billion here, a couple of billion there, and before you know it you're talking about REAL MONEY!". biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
I CAN appreciate a NICE CAR.....I just don't like to go overboard. I'm debating a second chance offer I got on it....then the wife just hit me with a 10K change order on the landscaping.....arrrgh, kill me now.

Funny thing.....There are so MANY spoof second chance offers that I wasn't sure it was real...had to check with eBay.

Anyways, I would be proud to own that ride....now that I have room to properly store one.....just probably not in the cards right now due to the finances....
URY914
What do you really do with a car like this? To keep the value up you don't drive it. So you stand around and look at it? I realize there are people with the storage space and the ability to have cars just to look at. It's just not for me (or most of us here for that matter).
startsw/p
I think a lot of guys list cars (and everything else for that matter) on Ebay to see what people are willing to bid. Would also help with an apraisal. You just set your reserve rediculously high (mind you it costs) and no one will ever buy it. Remember there are no Ebay cops. Also my dad and I have noticed that people will list collectibles just to advertise to the world, then end the auction early, hoping the real money will call on the phone. Guys that have the real money to buy a 916 call the broker and make an appointment to see it, then fly out and make the deal. Ebay is great for flea market or swap meet crap, but the big dollar stuff is dangerous. So are the second chance offers. By the way, if you want to know someone's reserve, and say the item is at $9.14 for example, with "reserve not met" all you have to do is bid a typo, like your next bid would be $915.00, then after it says you are the high bidder , just retract your bid, because it was an honest mistake. So we should have bid $999,999.00 on the 916, just to see what the repainted, undercoated, dash replaced museum car that can never be driven on the street would have sold for. Ebay is almost always a trap, feel free to discuss this with me anytime. -- Kris. givemebeer.gif916 on ebay -- click here

Also, might I ad that what things sell for is not necessarily what they are really worth. However as the price of 914's goes up, so do the insurance premiums, and of course most importantly, my argument to the wife that it is really worth spending all my money and spare time building a 914/6.
bd1308
BUT the *GOOD* part of the increasing value is that people will start making seals for the 914, like the front targa seal, and then people will want to invest more money for 914s like buying RAT engines and such.
siverson
> Those that are new to 914's generally tend to overspend.

I've had a 914 for more than 15 years, so I do know how much this stuff costs. What most 914s owners don't understand is how nice the cars can be. There is a world of difference between the fit and finish of my very expensive to restore 914 and this basically like-new 914. How the doors open,

Also remember, we are still talking about a ~$20k "car". I think if you look at it like that and compare nice 914s to other "$20k cars", it's no contest

> What do you really do with a car like this? To keep the value up you don't drive it.

I put about 4,000 miles on the car in the last year. It's really great to drive - I drove it to work today (secure covered parking). I drove it more in the first week (about 800 miles visiting friends) than the previous owner did the entire time he owned it - 6 years!

4,000 miles per year might be a little excessive for a car like this, but I do think it should still be driven and appreciated. If this car is driven 2,500 miles average for the next 20 years (another 50k miles), then, in 2026 it will be 53 years old and have 80k miles on it. I think the car could still be in very good condition and still a very unique 914.

If I was doing this all over again, I'd rather buy a car than had been driven a decent amount rather than one that sat for so long. The old tires literrally almost fell about after my first 30 miles. More importantly - how could you own a car like this and not keep it in drivable condition - the tires were no good!

> stone chips

Yes, that's going to happen, did to me (I put a couple on), and you've just got to live with it.

> fender bender

Yes, that would be very annoying.

> re: ebaying a car just for info

I understand people do do that, but this 914 really is for sale, and given the interested parties, I do believe it will sell in the next couple of weeks. If not, no problem, and we can revisit this thread in a couple years when it's for sale for $80k. wink.gif

-Steve
Spoke
Wow! Really nice car. So that's what these cars looked like right off the showroom floor. Good to see 914's going for some serious cash.

About driving or not driving a car as nice as that one, there is always the "what if something happens?" question. I consider myself a good driver, but that didn't stop someone from whacking the back of my 914. I was only 1/4 mile from my house; the engine wasn't even warm that day.

$20K for a modern car is different than $20K for a 914. A modern car can be replaced easily and can be repaired easily. A 914 that gets whacked is basically done.

Spoke
914werke
Im not sure I agree with:
- 2. It would cost a lot more than $22k to buy and restore a 914 to this condition.

Im doing just that and when all said and done it will be "as new" or damn close
and it should come in UNDER $20 (fingers Crossed)
You just have to be patient, resourcefull, and do all the the work yourself biggrin.gif
StratPlayer
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 22 2006, 08:23 PM) *

Im not sure I agree with:
- 2. It would cost a lot more than $22k to buy and restore a 914 to this condition.

Im doing just that and when all said and done it will be "as new" or damn close
and it should come in UNDER $20 (fingers Crossed)
You just have to be patient, resourcefull, and do all the the work yourself biggrin.gif

That's only if you calculate your "time" at 0$$ per hr............. smile.gif

(not Stratplayer)
smg914
Uhh.........Ahh never mind.
tod914
Steve your friend ever sell his 74 that you posted? Hows the Europa treating you btw. Looks like a fun car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.