Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Installtion - 914 2.0 L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jperret
How do I install the windshield?
What parts do I need to get before starting?
TINCAN914
QUOTE(jperret @ Sep 21 2006, 02:43 PM) *

How do I install the windshield?
What parts do I need to get before starting?

Do a search, or check the classics thread. I'm sure there are a number of detailed threads on this subject. smile.gif
TravisNeff
Butyl tape (a rubbery/gooey rope), can be found at an auto paint store. You will need the 18 or so windshield clips, as your old clips should not be reused (it's for your trim), winsheild trim of course and the tools to remove trim and winsheild.
jperret
Thanks, JOe
StratPlayer
Get yourself a good cold knife setup, they are not that expensive and make the job a whole lot easier.

http://www.autoglassolutions.com/onlinecat...e=1&sort=3d
gregrobbins
I have a friend who owns a glass shop (Best Glass in Phoenix). Something I learned from Bob is that a properly installed window adds stregnth to the vehicle.

You may want to have it professionally installed to make sure it is done properly.

20/20 did a show on Windshield Safety, here are some comments:

Fatal mistakes in the 20/20 program that no auto glass service company should make:

Not wearing disposable rubber gloves when handling a windshield. Oils and dirt from the installers' hands can contaminate the bonding service of the windshield, causing it not to adhere properly.

We recommend that anyone installing a windshield wear a new pair of gloves with every job so that your new windshield does not become contaminated.

Not properly preparing the pinch weld, causing it not to bond fully. We recommend that your technician inspect the pinch weld and make sure that it is clean and free of scratches. If scratches are present the technician should eliminate exposed metal with a primer. We also recommend that the technician prepare the surface on the windshield with a primer or use an adhesive that does not require this. One example would be Essex U418 primer less urethane. Proper preparation avoids the typical rust problems that arise from replacement windshields.

Not cleaning the windshield properly - wiping it down with a dirty rag. Again, this dirt can contaminate the windshield's bonding surface. All installers should clean your glass with new paper towels and glass cleaner.

Installer doesn't warn the customer that the car is not safe to drive until the adhesive has had sufficient time to bond the windshield to the automobile. Your technician should discuss with you the adhesive used and the time it takes for it to properly bond the windshield to your vehicle. This lets you make an informed decision as to when you feel the car is safe to drive.

Using butyl tape instead of urethane. Butyl tape is an inferior adhesive, only holding to 60lbs per square inch. Urethane, by contrast, holds to 600lbs per square inch. It is not recommended that Butyl tape be used in modern automobiles for adhering the windshield to the automobile.
markb
Hi Joe!

welcome.png

Glad you found us. How's the car coming together?

BTW, next time you're up at the shop, don't run off so fast.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Nov 13 2006, 04:39 PM) *

.... It is not recommended that Butyl tape be used in modern automobiles for adhering the windshield to the automobile.

Note the phrase "modern automobile"--which a 914 certainly is not!! I have started to get the feeling from talking to a bunch of people that the urethane adhesives may be too strong! The 914 is, after all, a flexy flyer. If the WS mounting doesn't have any give to it, you're likely to crack the WS the first time you go over a big bump! One WS installer I knew remarked that he didn't do 914s any more, because they always came back with a cracked WS within a couple of weeks.

Butyl tape is what was used originally. It held up pretty well for 30 years; should be OK for another 20-30 if you install it properly!

--DD
gregrobbins
I'll go with what Dave says. The cars do flex.
jperret
It is coming along. We got the sway bar in and the heater blower. Thanks for asking. I couldn't wait to drive back it was a beautiful day. Next time we'll schedule a lunch.

Joe
jperret
Thanks Gregg. I'll still do it myself. I will use the Butyl but the rest of the advice is wonderful. Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.