Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76 Turn Signal Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Epilog
Well I finally got a 1976 914 in June and have been going through it fixing electrical problems. Most of which are now fixed. When it came to the turn signals, the high beam flasher worked sort of, you had to pull the switch twice. So I pulled the turn signal switch and noticed that some of the plastic near the contacts was melted. Look for a replacement, I checked a couple sites online only to find that the switch was NLA. The switch looked very familliar, since I have been a Beetle guy up untill the 914, so I started digging through some boxes of Beetle parts, that I saved because you never know when you are going to need a door strap for a 71 Ghia or something, I found an old turn signal switch from a 72 Beetle that wouldn't cancel and low and behold it is identical to the 914 switch, the Beetle switch wouldn't cancel because a spring clip was missing the one from the 914 was the same and now the switch works. The turn signals and high beam switch work now and with the key off, if I leave the turn signal on the signal lights on that side of the car stay on, is that normal, my wife Mercedes has a similar function.

Does anyone know of a VW/Porsche cross reference that might list parts that will work on both cars?

BTW: The 72 Beetle Turn Signal switch is readily available and inexpesive.

Now I just have to get the Fresh air blower working, I think it might be the dash switch. I also need the e-brake switch which looks like a Beetle door contact switch.
Bleyseng
[quote name='Epilog' date=

Does anyone know of a VW/Porsche cross reference that might list parts that will work on both cars?

[/quote]

just ask on this list...
edrotol
QUOTE(Epilog @ Sep 21 2006, 01:06 PM) *

Well I finally got a 1976 914 in June and have been going through it fixing electrical problems. Most of which are now fixed. When it came to the turn signals, the high beam flasher worked sort of, you had to pull the switch twice. So I pulled the turn signal switch and noticed that some of the plastic near the contacts was melted. Look for a replacement, I checked a couple sites online only to find that the switch was NLA. The switch looked very familliar, since I have been a Beetle guy up untill the 914, so I started digging through some boxes of Beetle parts, that I saved because you never know when you are going to need a door strap for a 71 Ghia or something, I found an old turn signal switch from a 72 Beetle that wouldn't cancel and low and behold it is identical to the 914 switch, the Beetle switch wouldn't cancel because a spring clip was missing the one from the 914 was the same and now the switch works. The turn signals and high beam switch work now and with the key off, if I leave the turn signal on the signal lights on that side of the car stay on, is that normal, my wife Mercedes has a similar function.

Now I just have to get the Fresh air blower working, I think it might be the dash switch. I also need the e-brake switch which looks like a Beetle door contact switch.

Yes, my 76 2.0 does the same - I think it was intended mainly for European customers who, depending on what side of the narrow street you are parked in, incoming cars can see your car or at least know there is a car there. I know modern day Benz's have this feature today. Sort of the modern day version of the collapsible outside rear view mirror - you fold it and you might not have any damage with the narrow streets.

tiim5
Does anybody know what VW Bug switch will fit a 73' 914?

Will the mentioned 72' bug switch work?
914Sixer
It should. You can always take the switch to a bug parts place and compare it. The 75-76 were Rabbit sourced I THINK.
Epilog
You can get a pretty good look at the switches here.

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1743
Epilog
Here's a picture
Click to view attachment

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Epilog @ Sep 21 2006, 02:06 PM) *

The turn signals and high beam switch work now and with the key off, if I leave the turn signal on the signal lights on that side of the car stay on, is that normal, my wife Mercedes has a similar function.

My 72 does the same thing.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 23 2006, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Epilog @ Sep 21 2006, 02:06 PM) *

The turn signals and high beam switch work now and with the key off, if I leave the turn signal on the signal lights on that side of the car stay on, is that normal, my wife Mercedes has a similar function.

My 72 does the same thing.

Not sure what the technical name for this would be, but it's a modification that I did to my '95 Jetta. We call it "European parking lights". How they're used:
Park your car on the street, turn the engine OFF, and remove the keys from the ignition. Push the turn signal switch in the direction you would as if you were going to leave your parking spot to let traffic know you wanted to merge e.g. In American, when you park on the street the right side of the car will be against the curb so you would turn on the LEFT side parking lights by pushing the turn signal switch to the "left turn" position. Thus the parking lights of the side of the car that is on the side of the flow of traffic would be illuminated while the other side would be off. This gives traffic notice that your car is parked, making it more visible.

This feature should be on all German vehicles at a minimum (it is a feature for the rest of the world, just optional on USA cars), including Porsches. If not currently present then it should be a simple conversion using a German part or some simple wiring. Front pictures. Rear pictures.

As a test, I left my Euro parking lights on over-night, about a good 10 hours. Next morning I went out and started the car -- fired right up w/o complaint. I do run an Optima battery...dunno if that makes a differnce or not. And yes, when I would go out clubbing I would use them smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.