Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennshift question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
A question for all you proud Rennshift owners...

How much of an improvement over a good working stock side shifter does the rennshifter make. Specifically in a 2nd to 1st gear downsift?

Right now, with the stock linkage, a 2nd to 1st shift is okay if Im not in a hurry, but if I'm in an autox, and I need to dowshift "in anger", I give it up instead.

Can the rennshifter provide enough improvement in downshifting to 1st is reasonable in an autox? The question revolves around going up to something like a 245/40-17 instead of the little 225/45-15's... The gearing would kill me unless I could use 1st reliably...

The really is just theoretical though, I have no immediate plans to go to big honkin' tires anytime soon.

Thanks!

-Josh2
Heeltoe914
I have not ever heard of anyone going to 1th in a AX. But if you have to You must be in a very slow hard turn.Change to solid mounts on Eng. and trans. and see what happens. Also check and upgrade all buchings.
I have the Rennshift and love it But my first has always been a pain. The new shifter helps it alot if you are moving, but from a standstill I still have to think. So for your ? yes it should help you out.
jim_hoyland
To answer your question...I would say NO Change. The previous post sums up a lot. But I also believe it is a major upgrade to the overall driving experience and rate it one of the best things that make the 914 fun to drive.
pete-stevers
i have very stiff mounts on the tranny, a long brass bushing at the tranny side of things....1st to second and back again in traffic....tons better than before...
if your question is will it improve things....yes a whole bunch....
but having said that i have never raced mine,
JWest
The RennShift offers an improvement in feel in the 1st downshift because you are not sliding metal-to-metal as you do with the stock lockout plate. This means you can feel what the synchro is doing much better and actually make a clean shift.

I can easily downshift to 1st above 40 mph in my car - but you have to get the gear speeds matched well. The ratio between 2nd and 1st is way too much to expect the synchro to do it for you in a reasonable amount of time, plus that would be terrible abuse to the synchro.

I can make the same shift with a stock shifter, but it is a lot easier force the shift and beat the synchro while forced up against the lockout plate.
john rogers
At the street races in Mexico, I shift into 1st about 25 MPH or so when making the U turn at the end of the road in Tijuana and so far I have never missed one. There is a but here though, I use new bushings every year, the trans is very tight and I use one of the sealed aircraft couplers instead of the factory sloppy one. This is because I have a very high revving six where as for a lower reving four it might not be necessary.
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(john rogers @ Sep 21 2006, 07:43 PM) *

At the street races in Mexico, I shift into 1st about 25 MPH or so when making the U turn at the end of the road in Tijuana and so far I have never missed one. There is a but here though, I use new bushings every year, the trans is very tight and I use one of the sealed aircraft couplers instead of the factory sloppy one. This is because I have a very high revving six where as for a lower reving four it might not be necessary.

Can you set me up with three U aircraft couplers. I have seen it before but cant find one.
Also are you using a bent bar or a Strieght bar under the motor?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jhadler @ Sep 21 2006, 04:19 PM) *

A question for all you proud Rennshift owners...

How much of an improvement over a good working stock side shifter does the rennshifter make. Specifically in a 2nd to 1st gear downsift?

Right now, with the stock linkage, a 2nd to 1st shift is okay if Im not in a hurry, but if I'm in an autox, and I need to dowshift "in anger", I give it up instead.

Can the rennshifter provide enough improvement in downshifting to 1st is reasonable in an autox? The question revolves around going up to something like a 245/40-17 instead of the little 225/45-15's... The gearing would kill me unless I could use 1st reliably...

The really is just theoretical though, I have no immediate plans to go to big honkin' tires anytime soon.

Thanks!

-Josh2

The Rennshifter is a big improvement over stock. 914's should not shift this well is one quote from an experienced 914 wrench and pilot.
Even with your proposed tire change I do not see the need to go to 1st in an autocross. That would be almost a dead stop turn.
jhadler
Thanks all!

My trans is pretty fresh, and the bushings were all replaced not too long ago. The interest I have is thinking about getting more tire under the car. But the only way to get wider tires at this point is to go taller as well. And the rules in my class do not allow me to change gearing in the transmission. So... the only way to change gearing in this class is to change tire sizes. At present, the car runs on 15x8's with 225/45-15 Hoosiers. The next step up in width would take me to a 245/45-16, almost a good 2" taller. So... as my car sits right now, I go between 2nd and 3rd at an autox, only needing 1st for the start. My concern is that going to a 245/45-16 will necessitate the need for 1st gear in slower autox turns, and only the occasional 3rd gear.

The stock shifting to 1st is okay, but I wouldn't do it aggressively at an autox. Hence, the thought of the rennshifter.

I still want a rennshifter, it's a work of art, and it's on my wish list. But it doesn't sound like it would be the trick to compesate for the taller gearing. I think I'll stick with the 15's for a while longer...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.